Aurora Butterfly Gyroplane.

Greg Mitchell

Aircraft
Butterfly Monarch 582
Total Flight Time
200 hrs
Larry Neal is presently testing his new design.

For more information about this Gyroplane and the other Butterfly range please go to www.thebutterflyllc.com

This 912s powered gyroplane has a Metro Launch shaft drive pre-rotator, spins the 26 foot rotor blades to 300 rpm to date. Testing continues.
The landing gear is the all terrain version with G Force.
68 inch prop.
Heavy duty Super Slider (double slider) rotor head.
Beefed up head and control pivot plates.

This is a serious aircraft with long range aerodynamic FREEDOM EXTENDER TANKS and all the trimmings.

Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• aa.JPG
    aa.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 15
  • b.JPG
    b.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 14
  • bb.JPG
    bb.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 16
  • cc.JPG
    cc.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Aurora.......This is It!

Aurora.......This is It!

A few more

Attachments

• dd.JPG
    dd.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 4
  • ee.JPG
    ee.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 5
Aurora....This is It!

Aurora....This is It!

last two for now.

More info to follow as testing continues.

Mitch.

Attachments

• d.JPG
    d.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 7
  • e.JPG
    e.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 5
Sweet looking! I wonder when Larry's going to sell some of the technology to us, like the prerotator mechanism and perhaps the landing gear system.

Cheers,
Ed

NEW MODEL AURORA .....Butterfly Gyroplane

NEW MODEL AURORA .....Butterfly Gyroplane

Ed,

What can I say.......probably never!

Only the other day a Musterer in OZ emailed Larry asking for GFLG. Larry's response was that he does not intend to sell his technology in part but in whole and that the Aurora would likely be a good mustering machine.

Not to far off and we will be able to evaluate a 582 Monarch operated in the mustering arena.

I agree with you Ed it looks sweet!:)

Mitch.

Hi, looks really great. Apart from the stronger motor and subsequently motor support, what differences are there to the other single seaters like Moarch and Emperor?

Kai.

G'Day Kai,

Taller mast by 4"
68" prop up from 60"
Stepped Keel
100 HP up from 65 HP and 50 HP
Upgraded Rotor Head, Super Slider (double slider) std.
Magnum All Terrain G Force Landing Gear 7' wide.
Shaft Drive Metro Launch Pre-rotator.
Efficient/repeatable STOL Capability.
Upgraded Instrument Pod and Instruments.
Larger Disc 26 foot rotor blades.
Rotor Brake.
Upgrade Brakes.
Electric Brake Lock.
Extra fuel by 10 gallons ( total of 20 gallons )

I'm sure there is more.

It seems we have a short wait for the price list ansd specs to be placed on the web.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers,

Mitch.

Last edited:
G'Day Heron,

He has already arrived!

I wish you and your family well. Miss you ole Mate.

Mitch.

Last edited:
Hi Greg
It really looks like this could be something special!
Will you let us know when the price list is posted?

I'm glad to see the cleaned-up prerotator and double slider head. Rotor vibes and the weight and complexity of the original Metro-launch were two of the less desirable features of the earlier Butterfly.

Oh Doug!
I'd love to know what problems you see in this current design if any?

I've only seen the little pics of the new model in this thread. It's not very fair to base a critique on only a low-res photo or two.

A former student has one of the earlier models and he's let me fly it a couple times, so I have a bit of firsthand info about that one.

I've only seen the little pics of the new model in this thread. It's not very fair to base a critique on only a low-res photo or two.

A former student has one of the earlier models and he's let me fly it a couple times, so I have a bit of firsthand info about that one.
As soon as you discover more could you let us know.
Inquiring minds and all that.
Thanks Doug for all you do!!!!!

Hi Greg,

thanks a lot, the pre-rotator looks really neat. And the shafts seem to have a good strength. In the training MT03s we had some problems with the weldings breaking because of rough beginner handling. Whatever then breaks off, goes straight through the prop with disaterous results. The square tubes are a good idea to transfer the torque through shape rather then the seam of a welding.

Can you let us in on how the double slider is built? Or is that too dangerous because of copy-cats?

Kai.

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16102&highlight=super+slider

G'Day Fellas,

Kai, the above link will give you some detail on the double slider.

John, I will post info as it comes to hand. Larry has been testing every day for the last week or more. When he surfaces we will get some detail.

G'Day Doug,

I remember reading your flight review of the 503 Emperor MLS gyro.

The 503 MLS is a non production version. There is to my knowledge only to units, one in the US and the tested MLS unit here. The belt driven MLS with Slider Head is 582 only and 503 will have a electric starter. I think the Emperor Butterfly you tested did NOT have the double slider.

Further, I believe Larry has a plug and play component which goes to the push rods, similar to that which is on his Golden Butterfly, again this helps reduce any stick shake.

When I tested the 503 MLS on my Butterfly with the double slider head I had very little stick shake but with the redundant section of mast in place my Brock seat tank was tapping the back of the seat when I leant back.
I have not upgraded to the Tommy Milton 7.5 gallon yet. I have a 582 going on the Butterfly now and will mod the seat tank to get clearances. The 582 will remain a belt driven MLS pre-rotator. Allan Wardill is installing on his Monarch and we have a 3rd unit going on another Monarch which is going MUSTERING, so we should be able to give some detail further down the track.

Cheers,

Mitch.

Price List News!

Price List News!

This from Larry Neal today......

"The price list on the web site for the "Monarch with the 912 engine" is
good for now on the Aurora. We just haven't officially named it the Aurora
on the website yet. All of the Monarch options will work except for the 6
gallon FERT. The Aurora uses the (optional) SSCycle twin 5 gallon fuel
tank setup. The Aurora only comes with the GFMAT landing gear and the
Metro Launch System (912 version)."

www.therbutterflyllc.com