Aurora build -

Thanks for the great pics.

Thanks for the great pics.

Look'n GREAT!

Love your paint accents on tail & pod!

I still can't quite make out the wiring schematic on your blue capacitor!

A little pic I took today showing a bit of heavy marine grade heat-shrink( the "glue-y" kind) ... that I put under the PR tension spring to stop the wear on the bolt ... also the way I safety wired the spring to allow for the stretch!

The weather this year HAS truly been atrocious for new gyro pilots! :(

Your wiring & under throttle quad ... is very neat! :hail: The blue bing fuel lines look nice with those sweet clamps ... where did you get them????

Attachments

• IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Cool. I'm going to use that idea. I didn't safety wire that spring either....oops.

I'll shoot a better pic of the capacitor with explanation. I think I got it right. If not, someone correct me please.

Oh, and I got the clamps from JEGS.com I did my fuel fittings with their anodized stuff too rather than the brass. Order their catalog...free next day shipping on any order. They rock. Someone else here on the forum alerted me to them. I think maybe on one of your threads...

That is some very nice work John!

That is some very nice work John!

Your wiring looks very well done.

I admire your attention to detail.

I would like to offer a small piece of unsolicited advice.

I have found that with a stiff terminal like the battery terminal and a heavy gage wire it is best to support the wire nearer the terminal with the support attached to the battery or battery bracket. Each part has a different resonant frequency and they tend to quarrel with each other.

I have found the more flexible the heavy gage wire is the less likely the terminal is to break and the less important securing it near the terminal is.

Thank you, Vance

Thanks Vance! Yeah I had to fan out the wires for them to sit flat on the terminal and wasn't happy about it. Put some added shrink wrap on each thinking there would be less flex and vibration but you think that will be counter productive? I'll definitely go back and secure the group on the terminal and the group on the capacitor up close. Maybe I'll grab from JEGS two of those wire separators that one can fasten somewhere. I was actually most concerned about the bolt coming out of the terminals of the battery but I guess blue locktite will do the job. Anyone doing it any differently?

Thanks CLS447
Lining up an independent DAR for $500. The local FAA office was saying they didn't have time for now and it wouldn't be months until they could get to it. I'm weighing whether to get salty with them but worried they look for a reason to deny me.

2yhyja7e.jpg
ma6azehu.jpg

Congratulations John!

Congratulations John!

She looks great and ready to take to the skies.

Your to do list must be getting very short.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

You are an inspiration to us all.

Thank you, Vance

Good luck on the inspection

Good luck on the inspection

Beautiful work on your build. Congratulations!

Wheeeee........

Wheeeee........

GREAT to see the update John! :yo:

Exciting ...... been a long nasty winter ... waiting waiting to get going! :rolleyes:

John, very nice!

Is the gas can in the hang test photo holding weight to simulate gas in the seat tank? If so, that's pretty far forward of the fuel's actual location in flight. Be sure to recheck the hang angle with the fuel in the seat tank, or calculate the change in angle made by moving the fuel weight close to CG, before you actually fly.

I know a DAR

I know a DAR

Hi John,

Nice looking bird!!! I happen to know a DAR here in Goldsboro, NC that is used to working with Gyros and EAB kits. His name is Bob Woods and he belongs to the Flying Club I belong to. If you need more info just send me a PM.

Thanks all.
Paul, good eye! Yes that was the arrangement at first but then I actually put the gas in the seat tank to be sure. My daughter got bored of taking pictures by then. Don't hold back though if you see anything else.
Wayne, I'll PM you to hear if your guy travels, etc...

Looking good. You also don't need the blades on for the hang test. The hang test is easier with the blades off and just hang it from the teeter bolt.

Thanks Tim! Yeah, I needed to get the dry weight for my placard so I figured I'd do it all at once as farm equipment and gyros may not mix without dinging something up.

BTW- you've been on a video hiatus on your YouTube channel as far as I've seen. C'mon, I need more to fuel against the winter doldrums.

It flys now

It flys now

I flew John's Aurora for her maiden flight yesterday. Yeah, it flys now.!!!

Congrats John & Chris B.

Congrats John & Chris B.

Exciting to see your baby fly ... the first time !!! :whoo:

Congratulations John! That is a major milestone in your journey towards Gyro Flight. And your Aurora looks first rate. Can't wait to hear that you are in the Pilots seat leaving the earth. Take it a step at a time and be careful. The most exciting part of the journey is now right before you. Best of luck with everything! Please keep us updated on how it goes.