Aurora build -

JMCHFranklin

Aircraft
Aurora
Ok, so here goes... We'll see how much I can get done this winter. I started receiving Monarch parts as planned and then flip flopped to the Aurora. I had everything organized and ready to go. I just kept staring at the groups of parts wondering if I could swing the upgrade. Parts went back to Larry and he sent more parts. I'm hoping for the "build it and they will come scenario". "They" being a 912 (I'm sure there are many here that can relate). I'm set up on barnstormers to get the rotax posts as they come out and hopefully I can get lucky before I finish with everything else. So let me know if anyone has a 912ULS they want to go to a good "home".
I'll try to post as much as I can from my phone so it may be a little choppy. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354591169.672888.jpg
Getting the hang of cutting nubushes. Sure beats the pipe cutter as my arms were getting sore.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354591406.085275.jpg
Nubushes installed
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354591468.297906.jpg
Butterfly builders will remember this step. There's more to it then meets the eye. Went off without a hitch but I hand drilled the steel washers and was having a hard time with the bit wandering.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354591624.437847.jpg
My son helps with riveting end caps.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354591698.115280.jpg
Enlarging base plate holes. I'm using a step bit as to keep centered.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354591781.804507.jpg
Gluing washers to the plastic thingys.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354591910.887173.jpg
Aligning the mast support tube.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354591989.754935.jpgdrilled out and finished the mast support plates.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354592142.735157.jpg
So far so good. I haven't heard the "are you going to be in the garage all the time now" from my wife but I know it's coming.

BTW - if you we're wondering, the forum only lets you upload 8 pictures per post...I just found out the hard way...lol. My phone sputtered and I had to start over.

Love seeing stuff like this.
Thanks for taking the time to share your progress with photos.
Uh oh...wait....SWMABO is calling.....later.

JM,
You have a link to a pic of the model you are putting together.

Winter is a great time for this kind of project I would think.

Ken

Ken, stole this pic from google. It Larry's. Mine won't have the front pod or the side tanks. Perhaps another Aurora owner has a better finished pic they can post here.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354595439.838220.jpg

JDM, thanks! Yea, I love the build pics too. There are several builds on here whom I lived vicariously through for the last two years or so. Now I can finally participate.

John

Wow .... AHHH the memories!!!!

Wow .... AHHH the memories!!!!

.... was it just 10 months ago....YEP! That cyclic pivot assembly was VERY daunting to me at the time - quite complex!

Goodonya! :whoo: Keep us updated - helps with build log entries too!

Looks like a nice garage- workshop there!

It gets addictive .... yes I spent many long days out in the garage ... who needs to eat!!! :lol: Jim foraged, I lost weight :)

I'll attach a pic of mine from the computer in a minute!

10 months later...

10 months later...

Up up & away ... when the winds are within my student pilot limits!!! (That's why the rotor sock is still on here ... too windy for me to go - so we just took pics!)

N5560Z is Aurora#9 & N621WC is #8 - to the best of my knowledge!

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Up up & away ... when the winds are within my student pilot limits!!! (That's why the rotor sock is still on here ... too windy for me to go - so we just took pics!)

N5560Z is Aurora#9 & N621WC is #8 - to the best of my knowledge!

Chris did an awsome job on her gyro. It flys fantastic. So ask her all the details she will be a great help in your build. She might even have a manual finished or close to it.

Good stuff. John.
Keep the faith with your wife and all will be good.
I will watch with great interest and look forword to the day you take flight.
Desmond is right, Chris is a great asset and resource and a great Lady.
Anyway, have fun bloke.
Mitch

Thanks all!
Chris, it was nice to chat with you. I appreciate all that you've learned on your build and the great job you've done. I'll definitely be circling back.
Mitch, it was your building posts that I landed on first while gyro browsing and researching so I would give you first hand credit (youtube 2nd) for sparking my interest in the butterfly.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356313568.648319.jpg
Front rear keel worked on last week
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356313636.720129.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356313702.847459.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356313747.314710.jpg
Attached upper engine mount and rear seat tube
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356313808.748108.jpg
Drilled and attached mast support tube support bracket
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356313944.888940.jpg
Finished mounting brackets for the engine......just kidding.
Merry Christmas everybody!

Franklin ? Looking good ! 912 ? Hope you find a good one ! I'd just have to get me a new one !

I don't understand why so many annoying steps are left for the builder ! Enlarging holes is a step that could easily be done at the "plant".

I don't believe that 51% crap......just look around.

You are the builder.....Keep it going !

View attachment 100753
Front rear keel worked on last week

Attached upper engine mount and rear seat tube

Drilled and attached mast support tube support bracket

Finished mounting brackets for the engine......just kidding.
Merry Christmas everybody!

Awesome. Just like an erector set :). You can tell this was specifically designed to go together for an Exp-AB purpose.
Let me know your climb rate with that engine :).
Merry Christmas.

Franklin ? Looking good ! 912 ? Hope you find a good one ! I'd just have to get me a new one !

I don't understand why so many annoying steps are left for the builder ! Enlarging holes is a step that could easily be done at the "plant".

I don't believe that 51% crap......just look around.

You are the builder.....Keep it going !

I would opt for the 912ULS instead of 912UL. For the difference in price $2k, its simply sense to go for 20 more HP and all the little caveats like weak starter motor, sprag clutch problems w/o slipper clutch, have been solved in 912ULS for the last 2 to 3 years. I would use a Facet backup electric fuel pump in series. Rotax has changed suppliers for the mechanical fuel pump and the new design still has some time to prove itself. The Facet fuel pump is $40 and continuous duty cycle. I would suggest using it on takeoff till you reach safe altitude and on final coming in for landing (in case you need to do a go around). Incruise flight, its not necessary. You can find the 2-4 psi model at aircraft spruce. Needs the fuel filter to be before the pump.

Well, had a bead on a < 100 hr ULS from Lockwood just the other day. Took two days to get my finances in order and it was gone. I better learn to get serious quicker with the good opportunities before they disappear.
Fara, I appreciate the advice... Keep the comments coming.

Well, had a bead on a < 100 hr ULS from Lockwood just the other day. Took two days to get my finances in order and it was gone. I better learn to get serious quicker with the good opportunities before they disappear.

Yeah, I let a couple of gems get away from me by just not checking every day & early! When I got serious .. there seemed to be a real dearth of 912's of any kind available & it slowed my build by 2 weeks waiting for the darn engine when I needed it ... amazing how fast things go to the engine install - then all the fiddly finish work after & wiring seems to take for-ever!
Looking good John - crank'n right along! :)

John,

It is important to be prepared and know the market so when a good deal comes along you recognize it and you are in a position to take advantage of it. However, there is always another good deal out there, so be patient and stay focused and your opportunity will find you.

I know I worried about that for a long time, but when the time was right it happened and I found the perfect deal for me. You will too! Thanks for sharing your build process!

Fara, I appreciate the advice... Keep the comments coming.

Flight Crafters in Zephyrhills I think have a 912ULS with 400 hours a fresh re-build by Lockwood. I think they were asking $11k for it. Might want to give them a call to investigate. http://www.flightcrafters.com/

Also you may want to talk to John Dunlop (our Canadian dealer). He offers Rotech (Rotax Canadian distributor) zero timed engines for below retail prices with free shipping for engines to USA.
http://www.seareycanada.com/Specials.htm

Last edited: