Ask The Candidates

ToddP

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Dominator Gyro / RV9
Total Flight Time
500 Hours
There are several excellent candidates running for PRA board positions this year. Take this opportunity to field your questions. I encourage all the candidates to use this forum.

ToddP

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Dominator Gyro / RV9
Total Flight Time
500 Hours
I'll start us off:

What do any of our candidates see as the biggest challenge facing the PRA in the next 5 years. What is your solution for solving this challenge?

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Todd: Revenue has got to be the number one problem that comes to my mind. Ways to increase this?

Getting our sport out there where we are seen by many more people such as airshows...fly-ins...just enthusiastically showing what these wonderful machines do. Every little fly-in I have attended always drew a lot of interest in what a gyrocopter can do. If more of us flew to these mostly non -gyro events....our numbers would increase.

We have to get much more united between the different "camps" of gyrocopters out there. One side gets arguing with the other side...and we all lose. If we could just all get more open minded and see that the excellent stability information that Greg Gremminger puts out shows that there is much more to the safety issue than just being CLT. There is so much more to consider about stability and any one machine wont have all the answers.

I have flown with both sides and see advantages and disadvantages to my different type of gyros I have been flying. This doesnt make me "turn" on my friends when I decided to try another machine. I have loved everything I have flown...and was very passionate about it. If we all could just try and understand that no one has all the answers...but to keep an open mind and slowly progress to more built in stability in our gyros.....and more error proof on the pilots part.

Constant education on safety issues is a must as far as pre-flights....general maintenance.....safe flying practices.....good understanding of the regulations....and many more too numerous to mention here.

So....if we improve on the above....our numbers will increase helping our big problem.....revenue.

Stan Foster

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Vance: You may have missed my point. My first post kind of sums it up how I would begin. Excuse my not writing in the clearest manner sometimes. I leave too many words between the lines.:D

Maybe to offer some other ideas.....I feel that we could run some online ads letting the word out about all the nice fly-ins that I read about here on this forum. There are websites that will post these fly-ins for free.....they just need the information for them to send to everyone. I receive notices very often of fly-ins in Illinois/Indiana. I plan on attending these and demonstrating what these things do.

Just imagine what Ron Awads demonstrations at all the fly-ins generates. Jim Logan..Duanne Hunne... and many more..these guys are out there flying their butts off for the love of it. If half of us did that....this thing would snowball.....

Stan

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
Sorry Stan, the question is really about how you manage the politics. I have thought about this and to make something happen, you are going to have to open some minds on the board.

In other words, you told us you are going to fly, I am asking about what you do before you begin your take off roll.

You already have my vote; I am hoping you will show people who don’t know you, your wonderfully pragmatic approach to challenges.

Thank you, Vance

KenSandyEggo

Platinum Member
Aircraft
McCulloch J2
Total Flight Time
approx. 1400+
"Just imagine what Ron Awads demonstrations at all the fly-ins generates."

A cloud of oily-smelling, cough-producing and eye-watering smoke. :D

RockyMeLad

Curmudgeon-in-Training
Aircraft
Desert Bee (Gyrobee)
Total Flight Time
Todd,
Good idea, thanks.

I started a thread on "accident investigation" to consolidate some of the ideas being presented in other threads.
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8581
It would be nice to add the comments about wills and such, as these might also help to avoid "lost" information from the lack of an acident investigation.

So what do the candidates think about PRA (as a collective entity, not just the BOD) taking the lead in developing checklists, agreements, or what-ever is necessary to promote safety through learning the real causes of accidents? Bear in mind the related impacts of improved image for the gyro community, as well as improving our chances of getting LSA apporval from the FAA through such an initiative.

Edited comments in italics.

Last edited:

Harry_S.

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
RAF2000
Total Flight Time
2000+ hrs.
Accident prevention is important to all of us...but let's not get hung up on it.

Stan mentioned a good point...revenue. How can we increase it?!

I like the oldtimer...you have to spend money to make money. Advertise and publicize. Also, get the FREE media coverage on gyro participation at fly-ins, static displays, etc. This, in essence, to attract more members.

How 'bout a PR man of each Chapter, to contact the local newspaper to run a notice on the *Chapter Happening* out at the local strip?! Who knows how many potential members would show up?

Cheers :)

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
KenSandyEggo said:
"Just imagine what Ron Awads demonstrations at all the fly-ins generates."

A cloud of oily-smelling, cough-producing and eye-watering smoke. :D
LMAO! so very true!

Udi

Platinum Member
Question 1 - The PRA must have a database with thousands and thousands of past members. Would you (candidates) support spending some time and money to write and call past members to try and get them back to the PRA? I think it may be premature for the PRA to go out with a major advertising campaign before we - 1. Understand why so many people are leaving and, 2. Try to get some of the people who've left back to us.

Calling past members can serve a couple of purposes. We can ask these people why they decided to cancel their membership with the PRA – it is very important to know why we were fired. We can also ask them if they would consider becoming members again, and under what circumstances. We can call, we can write, or we can do both. To do it right it would take money, because the office staff doesn’t have the time to do it and the volunteers don't like to do this sort of thing. We may have to hire a company that is doing this sort of PR professionally.

Question 2 - Would you (candidates) support creating a few levels, or tiers, of membership? For example - Tier A $20/yr gets you access to some information on the PRA website and discounts on PRA memorabilia and conventions. Tier B $30/yr gets you Tier A privileges, plus access to the magazine on the PRA website. Tier C $40/yr gets you Tier B privileges, plus a printed copy of the magazine (shipping not included). Tier D $50 gets you the privileges of Tier C, plus a PRA mug or T-shirt, etc.

Question 3 - What would you (candidates) propose we do to make members of the PRA proud of their association with the PRA? There are many organizations out there (Harley Davidson comes to mind) who’s members are so proud of being part of "that" group that they wear T-shirts, hats, pants, underpants, rings, sunglasses, even tattoos with the name of this group. Make a member proud of their association with you, and you have a member for life.

Udi

Harry_S.

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
RAF2000
Total Flight Time
2000+ hrs.
Could it be that the BOD candidates are not aware of this thread?

Stan Foster is the only one to make the scene?!

Hello?!?!

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(2) Air Commands, (1) Barnett, (1) Parsons modified 2 place, (1) Beechcraft Sundowner
Total Flight Time
RockyMeLad said:
So what do the candidates think about PRA taking the lead in developing checklists, agreements, or what-ever is necessary to promote safety through learning the real causes of accidents?

Rocky,

PRA just took the lead in developing checklists, agreements, or what-ever is necessary to promote safety through learning the real causes of accidents!

Assuming you are a member???

I can't empahsize enough that you, me and the guy in Japan are the PRA.

Most of the PRA threads ask "what can the PRA do about ........" ?

It's natural to ask our association to do everything it can for the sport.
The PRA should be the source for all things sport rotorcraft.

But who is the PRA ? Our president ? Our Office Manager ? The Directors? Sure they are, but I'd rather have them hard at work keeping us solvent.

Just as with our chapters, we need volunteers......... sparkplugs!

I propose that we not lean on our officers and BoD members to do everything. I propose that we write the stuff right here, on the forum, and when we distill it down to an essence we present it to the BoD for acceptance.

Every great journey begins with the first step and Rocky, you took one big leap for mankind. Can we all pitch in and do something with this?

I'll take the next big leap and announce that when we complete the accident resources I would like to "write the book" on what it takes to run a sucessful PRA convention (at Mentone and elsewhere). It's something that's long overdue and with everyone's help it could be a whole lot better.

Many hands make light work.

RockyMeLad

Curmudgeon-in-Training
Aircraft
Desert Bee (Gyrobee)
Total Flight Time
Harry,
Didn't mean that "acident investigation" should be the only item on the agenda, or even the first. Others had already raised more important issues like finances, so didn't want to duplicate, but improving our image and safety are also important. My question meant to address those issues.

Tom,
Thanks for your comments. I went back to reread my entry, and I didn't bring forward from my thread enough to be clear. I'll edit the question to be more concise.

To me the PRA as an entity is all of us (yes, I'm a member), The BOD are the folks we elect to represent us with a unified voice.

madmax

We have to get much more united between the different "camps" of gyrocopters out there. One side gets arguing with the other side...and we all lose.
1- Unite the members under one Organization and resolve the issues causing internal conflict.

2- Educate everyone that deferent type Gyro's use deferent perimeters and skill level to fly. For instance a Cessna 152, one set of parameters and one skill level. A GulfStream V, an other set of parameters and an other skill level. In each case a pilot, flying only that aircraft, may not fly the other with much success. A Gyro with new and deferent Rotor Blades can experience just as much changes in it's flight characteristics as there is with the 152 and the GulfStream V.

3- Teach them that there is most likely a need for each pilot to receive more training in their specific type and not to put blame on bad designs when your talking about Gyro's that have flown safely for years.

4- Teach them to not play with their lives or the lives of others by changing the rotor blades just because some one starting making a new type. Teach them to buy and fly the known and proven specific to each type and Manufacturer and not be the Test Pilot their not prepared to be.

Do this and watch the PRA grow. Do it not and watch it continue to die.

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
I don't observe bickering in Rotorcraft magazine. Most of that's been offloaded here to the forum. Fortunately, most of the self-defeating name-calling has tapered off, even here. Sadly, it didn't happen before most of the owners of the world's best-selling two-seater had been driven away. They now have their own organization and internet community, and they probably do way more total flight hours than our forum membership.

PRA needs to be more to the sport than the producer of Rotorcraft magazine, and the vestigial remains of the Bensen Owners Group. If it doesn't become more than a museum, and become more inclusive of non-lifetime members, a rebound may be tough.

I am VERY encouraged by the list of BOD candidates. I feel hopeful that they'll open the windows, let some light shine, and let us all feel as if we have input. For now, I'll keep focusing my efforts on Chapter 73, where there's much less inertia, and no secrets.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
Well-stated Paul. That is an interesting conundrum. Promoting an understanding of gyroplane design and safety is one of the stated primary missions of the PRA.

How do you promote design knowledge and safety without alienating members that have a popular gyroplane that appears to be in conflict with the current understanding of safe design? It is not my nature to abandon a position that I stake my life on without putting up a good fight. I can’t remember being in a good fight and not getting hurt, even when I believe I won.

Does it appear that the PRA is now endorsing a machine with a high thrust line and no horizontal stabilizer by having Duane teaching in his aircraft based at the Mentone airport? Will this stop the bickering? Does this dilute the stated mission?

This sounds like the ending lines of a weekly radio serial. I believe I will have to tune in and see what happens. I still don’t have my ballot, but Jennifer has assured me that it is on its way.

Thank you, Vance

Pam Bundy

Duane and the Mentone Airport

Duane and the Mentone Airport

Vance and others,

Duane has been training in his RAF 2000 at Mentone Airport for years. Any instructor, fixed-wing or rotorcraft, can come to Mentone and instruct regardless of what type of aircraft it is. That doesn't mean the P.R.A. is endorsing anything. The Mentone Airport is a privately owned but public use airport. P.R.A. cannot deny anyone to fly there.

Duane's intention is to, also, build another two-place open framed tandem for training students that are going to be flying a single-seat open framed machine. He will not be limited to training in just his RAF.

Duane’s responsibilities at the Mentone Airport is to be an Activities Directory for bringing other activities to the airport instead of it just existing to hold a P.R.A. Convention one week of the year.

With all this in mind I hope good things will come to Mentone Inc. and P.R.A. for years to come.

Thank you,
Pam Bundy

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
I hope so too Mrs Bundy, and I would like to be a part of that future.

Teaching from and based at are not quite the same thing.

As a business person, I am always looking for ways to better utilize assets. I think it will be good to have someone focused on expanding the profitable use of the Mentone facility.

Thank you, Vance