Army Apache Mishap Caught On Video

GyroChuck

Gyro's are more fun
Aircraft
SnoBird Tandem Gyro, Robinson R-22, Mosquito XE-285, Assorted Fixed Wing
Total Flight Time
From AVweb

Nobody was killed (although it's likely some careers were bruised) when an Army AH-64 Apache helicopter crashed in the snowy mountains of Afghanistan, possibly last month. Although the precise date of the mishap hasn't been confirmed, Wired quotes an unnamed source at Stars and Stripes as saying the incident occurred in February. Video started popping up Tuesday of the aircraft engaged in a "return to target" maneuver that didn't go as planned. American voices can be heard (profanely) marveling at the stunt until the helicopter fails to come out of a dive in time and bounces across an outpost in Marzak, Afghanistan. The video shows the aircraft narrowly missing some bystanders on the ground as it careens between several buildings. The Army has not so far commented on the accident but as the video gets media play more details are expected to come out.

New AH-64 Apache Crash in Sharana, Afghanistan after Crazy Maneuver (HD) - YouTube

Good to see our tax money being well taken care of....
Looks like.. hey yall watch this........Shure they will have a story that most will except.
Its a good thing nobody was killed.

That'll probably be the end of their military flying career.

Blind luck that no bystanders were killed, and they're lucky they were flying one of the most crashworthy helicopters out there.

I seen a Huey do that once and it didn't turn out so well.
You think he had a density altitude issue?

Maybe it was snow blindness!!!!yeah...that's the ticket!

It seems that in recent years we lose more helicopters in training, logistical support and other non-combat missions than we do in battle. By a wide margin.

This is one more to skew the stats.

You have to admit that it sure looked cool.
Except for the OH S%$T last part.
And even that was cool in a, hay that's my tax dollars sort of way.
I mean, if you're going to F&%$ up that bad you might as well get it recorded for fun and posterity.

Redneck Flying

Redneck Flying

"Ah wannuh welkum alla yawl to th' Yew Ess Awrmee Redneck Skewl of Hellycopper Flyin'!"

Rednecks famous last words, "Hey! E'vbuddy watch this!"

Or...In the words of Dr. Lesley Winkle when addressing Dr. Sheldon Cooper on "The Big Bang Theory": "Dumma$$!"

I bet they got really dizzy after that spin toward the end. Ever see the kid put one end of a bat on the ground vertically, place his forhead on top of the bat and spin around keeping his head at the center on the bat; then try to walk? Way funny!!!

I wonder if the Army will make them pay for the helicopter? They are so screwed. The "return on target" at the apex was not even in good form. They had a routine day boring holes recovering from hang-overs.

I wouldn't call that severe hot-dogging…I feel things weren't right after that stall looking flair during his zoom climb and the blade coning angle looked more than normal…low rotor rpm?. I wonder if he was having some mechanical problem….

Like we used to say in the Navy.
If your going to get killed doing
something stupid, then we might
as well get some video of it.

If this was really at at FOB Sharana, that's at almost 8,000' MSL - trying to hot-dog around like he was at sea level will always end badly.

mechanical problem…. yep daz a short tween da stick an da brain bucket.

Youth.

Youth.

I just chalk this up to youth behind the wheel...

Either that or they were doing a "gyro" landing and it got out of hand.

Made it on CNN's homepage. I love the cartwheel / corkscrew after the bounce.

J

Looks like he was planning another low pass but misjudged how low, low really is.

Possible the conditions made him feel higher than he actually was.
Whatever the reason, he is in the **** for hotdogging.

Do we know for sure they survived ? Any injuries on the ground ?

Reminds me of the one that flew into trees despite his crewman saying it wouldn't fit thro the gap.

Edit.
Just remembered its called "Oh yea of little faith".