Are we all just crazy for flying gyro's

Tina do you know how many people die from being on the phone during a lightning storm? Have you ever thought about the danger of eating sugar? Crossed a street lately or driven a car?

Your relationship with this new boyfriend will not work out. He is already standing in judgement of your core values and putting you down in public. Mark my words.

I for one do not want my last thoughts (when I choke on a fish bone and fall and hit my head as I run in panic) to be - gee I guess I could have flown my gyro after all!

As for John and what motivates him.... good question.... but there were those who questioned Mother Teresa's real motives as well.....

Old Gent; “I wouldn’t get out of the electric chair to get in that thing.”

That made me laugh out loud with a total belly laugh.

Here's to us and our flying electric chairs! Who's gonna be the first to do an "Ole Sparky"-themed gyro?

cheers

-=K=-

Question Are we all just crazy for flying gyro's

Question Are we all just crazy for flying gyro's

At age 18 when I was joinning the Marines at the height of the Viet Nam war I was told I was crazy

At age 22 when I announced I was getting married, I was told I was crazy. ( 40 yrs, 5 kids and 11 grandkids and still happy) crazy? hmmm..

When I was driving 18 wheelers I was told I was crazy.

When I was taking fixed wing lessons I was told I was crazy.

When I was learning to crop dust I was told I was crazy.

When I was a crop duster I was told I was crazy.

When I said I wanted to build and learn to fly a gyrocopter I was told I was crazy.

It seems to me, that those who are afraid, or have no interest in something, think those who do, are crazy.

That is crazy to me.

I do what I want and have an interest in, and not wether or not if someone thinks I am crazy.

The worst part for me is....
Flying along having, a great time... Then I glance at the rotor tips and make sure they are still tracking like they should. While I am thinking about the rotors, the rotor head pops into my mind and I start backtracking to making sure I put that safety wire on, or tightened that bolt,.. ect ect... After a minuet or so I find something on the ground that looks interesting and I forget all about falling out of the sky!
I think after time I will start trusting it more.
Brad

I'm a gyro flyer want a be and I'm perfectly sane as this picture proves!

MD.JPG

Fello Cowboy

Fello Cowboy

I'm a gyro flyer want a be and I'm perfectly sane as this picture proves!

QUOTE]

Howdy Rob, Like your boots, Have a pair of "Tony Lamas" myself. Don't get to ware them as much I like too. I'm a double action guy. Member of the Rocky Mt. Gun Owners Asso. Never lost the love of flying Gyros.............Dick

I'm trying to get Crazy...

I'm trying to get Crazy...

I also have not yet flown in a gyro, but will change that with a trip to SportCopter in October. By then I'll be 208-216 pounds or so, and I'm pretty sure the 2 place can carry me. I've gone to El Mirage for about 5 years or more now, and have longed to be more of a part of the action. Being in the air has been a desire of mine since I first flew in a plane, and that desire has not diminished over the years. There are inherent risks in anything we do out of the "ordinary", but for many of us, ordinary just doesn't make us happy. My wife is understanding of this (thank heavens!), and knows I'm saving for one. I may even re-model my property to allow me space to build and store my gyro (depending on what I get). I'm pretty sure it'll be a SportCopter, but I'm leaving my options open for now, as I've got a few years (unfortunately) to save for it. I don't have deep pocket to just pick one up tomorrow, or I WOULD.

So yes, I may be "crazy" to want to do this, but I look at it this way - I'd rather risk crazy and experience my dream rather than continue to sit on the sidelines, never realize my dream, and live with that regret. Life has too many obstacles in it already to wear one down - why create your own barrier? Sorry for the long rant, but this is a topic that really resonated with me. My 2 cents (and pocket change).:plane:

Terry

I fly Gyroplane`s yes I`m crazy:whoo: But I`m living life to it`s fullest & enjoying every minute of it. Don`t want to come to end of life thinking "I wish I had done that", or " I should have done that". Life is way to short not to enjoy!!!!!!!

I have been interested to see common trends, interests or similarities amongst gyro fliers.

One thing is for sure they aren't dull people.

P.S. Tina, my eldest son is a Captain with an airline and thinks me and his younger brother are crazy. That's OK with with me, I still love him.

Yes I am crazy, I mean we are :) you have to be a little bit nutty to fly its just part of the plan! if your normal your not a pilot!:D

Live Your Life!

Live Your Life!

Tina,

I sugest you learn that when someone says "Your Crazy for doing ..." All they really mean is, "I don't see enough value in doing ... for me to feel like it is worth the risks I perceive there to be." Everyone in this world is into, what ever they are into. That means that for most people, anything that isn't in that group, (of things they are into) is considered to be a bad choice. And human nature being what it is, we are often less supportive of others than we should be. Instead we tend to try to make ourselves look smarter or more important by pushing our thoughts and values onto everyone else around us. It is to bad that many of us are this way, but we come by it honestly and it is the way we are, unless we have learned to overcome that tendancy.

As I get older (I'm over 50 now) and I see more and more of my friends die from a heart attack or a car accident, I have come to realize that we are all going to die sooner or later. Even if you eat right and exercise regularly you can die from a heart attack. (I just had a good friend that is younger than me do exactly that just a week ago) It is sad when someone dies, but it is much more sad when someone dies without having really lived. I would feel terrible if I died with my song still in side of me, unsung. In the movie, "Braveheart" WIlliam Wallace says, "All men die, not all men live." I think that is a very astute observation and I don't intend to be one of those men that never really lived.

I certainly don't think everyone needs to fly a Gyroplane, anymore than everyone needs to go sky diving, or scuba diving or mountain climbing. But I felt the need to do all of those things, and have done all of those things and I feel my life has been much richer and more rewarding for having done them. Does that make me crazy? Maybe to those who have never chosen to experience those things, I may be crazy. But to me, I am not. And I feel very sorry for those timid souls who never experience some of the greatest thrills in life because they consider it too dangerous. Granted, any of those sports can take your life if you are careless or take unneccessary risks, But it is also true that any of those sports can be participated in very safely if that is your desire. You control the risks you take and you can control the risks you expose yourself to while flying a Gyroplane. No one can eliminate all risks in their life and when it is your time to die, you will die, But oh, what a great life you can have until that time, if you choose to live your dreams.

People that waste their lives, without pursuing their dreams, that's crazy (to me). Find what makes your heart sing, and pursue that with everything you have, regardless of what others think and when your life is over, you'll die with a smile on your face.

And here I was thinking being crazy is a bad thing.

I sent my new guy this Thread, he got a kick out of it. He still does not understand why we fly them, because that is something he would never do himself. He likes helicopters and "who doesn't" but if he took a ride in a two place gyro I think he would like it. I will have to arrange that for him someday.

I flew my gyro this morning and the magic is still there and it felt spacial to me. When I was flying around Hemet I was thinking how fortunate I was to experience this and knew at the same time there are very few people in this world that can.. I am one lucky gal ;)

There you go, now your are back to normal.:welcome::welcome:

Are we all just crazy flying these contraptions.

I'm considered crazy by a lot of people that have no idea I own a gyro. So I must be bonafide!

I think you're crazy , but it has nothing to do with you flying a gyro .

Last edited: