AR-1 N57AR - Texas - 20.8.23

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
The FAA ASIAS shows

FAA Accident and Incident Notification

IDENTIFICATION
Date:20-AUG-23
Time:13:00:00Z
Regis#:N57AR
Aircraft Make:SILVERLIGHT AVIATION
Aircraft Model:AR-1
Event Type:ACCIDENT
Highest Injury:SERIOUS
Aircraft Missing:No
Damage:UNKNOWN
State:TEXAS
DESCRIPTION
Description:AIRCRAFT CRASHED ON THE SIDE OF THE RUNWAY UNDER UKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, GRANBURY, TX.

Side of the runway? Wonder if on landing or takeoff. It was bought by someone secondhand and they were being trained by Craig McPherson.

Side of the runway? Wonder if on landing or takeoff. It was bought by someone secondhand and they were being trained by Craig McPherson.
What engine was in this one?

What engine was in this one?
A 912ULS which the original buyer had sent to get big bore kit put in to supposedly make it 112 HP

It appears to me that is not the right day.

According to FAA Aviation Safety Information Analysis and Sharing the accident is supposed to have happened August 20 at 13:00 Zulu at Granbury, TX (GDJ)
Vance, you are correct. With that said, it could have happened on take off or landing.

Was that a yellow AR-1 that HAD a canopy ...came from Tenessee - a few months ago???
There was one newly arrived ( by trailer) there when I collected my white TAG after its 912ULS engine upgrade to the Aussie turbo version 140 HP 912.
( Craig, Steven & Tim Weiland are the USA authorized installers of the Steve Paulet "Aussie Rotax performance" kits to boost the 912ULS to RP 912turbo ..... my TAG 488TE is the 3 rd done and has now 20 hours testing time on it with great results. Craig has installed the kit on his personal MTO trainer and another new MTO for a customer.
After Oshkosh ...we have orders for 3 new kits soon to be shipped from Australia .

Back to the yellow AR1 - it was a stock 912 as I recall! ...and very underpowered in canopy configuration ...they stripped off canopy & extra tail fin ...Craig was test flying it ...before his Dad sadly passed away that day - I was also trying out my newly boosted engine! in N488TE

I think I met the owner from Granbury ! ( something happened that day that made me wonder IF ..he should be training to fly gyro ... but I guess he showed competency after a number of training hours with Craig and was signed off to fly off to his home base!)

Just found my photo of Craig test flying -confirmed my hunch! So sad to see a new pilot bending their machine 😭!

Attachments

• AR-1 N57AR - Texas - 20.8.23
    IMG_1215.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 119
Just found my photo of Craig test flying -confirmed my hunch! So sad to see a new pilot bending their machine 😭!

Hmm ... that dorsal fin is supposed to come off when canopy comes off or it will be too yaw stable and fight rudder inputs. But it was not Craig flying in this accident right. It was the student/new owner?

Was that a yellow AR-1 that HAD a canopy ...came from Tenessee - a few months ago???
There was one newly arrived ( by trailer) there when I collected my white TAG after its 912ULS engine upgrade to the Aussie turbo version 140 HP 912.
( Craig, Steven & Tim Weiland are the USA authorized installers of the Steve Paulet "Aussie Rotax performance" kits to boost the 912ULS to RP 912turbo ..... my TAG 488TE is the 3 rd done and has now 20 hours testing time on it with great results. Craig has installed the kit on his personal MTO trainer and another new MTO for a customer.
After Oshkosh ...we have orders for 3 new kits soon to be shipped from Australia .

Back to the yellow AR1 - it was a stock 912 as I recall! ...and very underpowered in canopy configuration ...they stripped off canopy & extra tail fin ...Craig was test flying it ...before his Dad sadly passed away that day - I was also trying out my newly boosted engine! in N488TE

I think I met the owner from Granbury ! ( something happened that day that made me wonder IF ..he should be training to fly gyro ... but I guess he showed competency after a number of training hours with Craig and was signed off to fly off to his home base!)

No it had a big bore 912ULS in it. I was not allowed to test fly that machine. Greg Spicola test flew it. That was the setup between the original owner and Greg. So I do not know if it really increased its power or not. I know from setting the pitch in the prop that it was nowhere near a 914 prop pitch we use for the same prop. It was significantly less than 914 much closer to a 912ULS but just slightly more.
I have never met the new second owner but talked to him on the phone once or twice. If it was him, I hope he will recover.

Hmm ... that dorsal fin is supposed to come off when canopy comes off or it will be too yaw stable and fight rudder inputs. But it was not Craig flying in this accident right. It was the student/new owner?
The dorsal fin came off the next day! Craig noticed how heavy the rudder work was!

Report is ...YET another ex-FW pilot ...got confused with the specific GYROPLANE -TO process ("Build your wing"- rotor-speed) THEN ADD rest of TO power ....forgot the routine #PR OFF! #1-2-3 STICK FULL BACK...1-2-3 power in2/3ish . #..look for ROTOR RPM rising/ feel nose wheel lift - BALANCE - STICK LESS BACK- rest of power in ----->>> liftoff & adjust pitch for optimum climb out airspeed!

OUR CFI's ...ESPECIALLY THOSE THAT FOLLOW PHIL HARWOODS TRAINING MODEL ....(As I KNOW Craig DOES!) ...emphasize ...SAY -IT-OUT LOUD-AS YOU DO -IT ....hardwires into memory! EVERY TIME!!!

Report is ...YET another ex-FW pilot ...got confused with the specific GYROPLANE -TO process ("Build your wing"- rotor-speed) THEN ADD rest of TO power ....forgot the routine #PR OFF! #1-2-3 STICK FULL BACK...1-2-3 power in2/3ish . #..look for ROTOR RPM rising/ feel nose wheel lift - BALANCE - STICK LESS BACK- rest of power in ----->>> liftoff & adjust pitch for optimum climb out airspeed!

OUR CFI's ...ESPECIALLY THOSE THAT FOLLOW PHIL HARWOODS TRAINING MODEL ....(As I KNOW Craig DOES!) ...emphasize ...SAY -IT-OUT LOUD-AS YOU DO -IT ....hardwires into memory! EVERY TIME!!!

From what I was told the pilot recognized the impending flap because he kept the stick forward as he started his ground roll, but his abort actions at this recognition were screwed up. Meaning he did cut the power but seems like did not apply the wheel brake enough to slow down and at the same time as cutting power he pulled the stick back instead of keeping it forward. Of course, that resulted in a more severe flap.
Again, he is a high time airplane pilot of above 75 years of age. Nice guy. The muscle memory is very ingrained and switching to a new to him category/class of aircraft takes way longer to be done safely (override the muscle memory) than they think.

Abid, when are you going to offer guys like this a GWS retrofit?
With the GWS he would have got a "stick position" warning the second he opened the throttle.
Frustrating to see accidents like this that could so easily have been avoided.
Mike G

Abid, when are you going to offer guys like this a GWS retrofit?
With the GWS he would have got a "stick position" warning the second he opened the throttle.
Frustrating to see accidents like this that could so easily have been avoided.
Mike G

He recognized he had to abort. He screwed up the abort. From what I heard GWS would not have helped because he reacted to recognition badly. He did not start with stick all the forward. He pushed it forward right after roll started according to his instructor. It isn't an end user that can really install a GWS mike. I can't sell something to someone who isn't going to be able to do it and get frustrated. But I have offered it to people who are even here so I can do it and so far no cigar. Only one person has asked if they can retrofit

Last edited:
From what I was told the pilot recognized the impending flap because he kept the stick forward as he started his ground roll, but his abort actions at this recognition were screwed up. Meaning he did cut the power but seems like did not apply the wheel brake enough to slow down and at the same time as cutting power he pulled the stick back instead of keeping it forward. Of course, that resulted in a more severe flap.
Again, he is a high time airplane pilot of above 75 years of age. Nice guy. The muscle memory is very ingrained and switching to a new to him category/class of aircraft takes way longer to be done safely (override the muscle memory) than they think.
You touched on one of the challenges I see for pilots learning to fly gyros. The rotor is a very effective break after landing. Its easy for a student to develop an association here. Especially for a fixed wing pilot, where stick back, at lower speeds, can also provide some breaking action . --But it doesn't work so well when you start your take off roll with the stick forward and blade flap is the concern.

A technique used by one of my instructors that I liked was he'd randomly simulate blade flap/sailing by shaking the stick side to side to see if you immediately chopped power and pushed the stick forward. I found it pretty effective in building that muscle memory.