AR-1 N159WT Oregon

I wonder how many of the people on this forum ever practice aborting a takeoff from 20 feet. (I imagine rolling aborts and those done shortly after breaking ground might be more commonly done.). A maneuver akin to a helicopter "quick stop ", allowing one to pull higher g than possible in trying to stay level in a 180 turn, should allow a settle to the ground at low forward speed with total forward travel that compares favorably to the most forward part of the arc of a level 180 turn. Sometimes you need to pull back on the reins if you think ole Seabiscuit won't clear the jump.

Last edited:
I was just teaching an engine out on takeoff at 150 feet Saturday. I feel it is important because any time there is a large power change is the time the engine is most likely to stop. I feel planning for a takeoff that doesn't go well is important.

Just to clarify the pilot could have aborted before ever leaving the ground if he had selected a point. He went past where he should have normally broken ground and did not abort and when things came closer as I understood he pulled the stick back more to lift of in a behind the power curve configuration so he was already in trouble. That at least how I understood it.

Understood. But I also suspect that even a late decision would likely have gone better with a straight ahead stop than a course reversal.

The runway had overgrown grass of 9 to 10 inches high. He had taken off from there before but the grass was not that tall and there was a little headwind. He should have aborted at a certain point
I would not consider anything with 10" grass to be any sort of runway till it's been mown... how on earth did he end up there?

I would not consider anything with 10" grass to be any sort of runway till it's been mown... how on earth did he end up there?
Well it technically is listed as a runway at an Indian reservation but I guess this time it was not mowed down. He has flown from there before

I take it he landed there that same day?
This is why it's a good idea to call ahead for conditions when you are planning to land on a turf field.

"Talk to other pilots who have been there, and call ahead if possible to find out about the current field condition. If the airfield is nearby, you might even want to visit it by car first to survey the situation. When you fly in for the first time, you may wish to "drag the field," or overfly the runway, to assess the conditions before committing yourself to landing."

Last edited:
I take it he landed there that same day?
This is why it's a good idea to call ahead for conditions when you are planning to land on a turf field.
Yes. I may be interested in offering an Outback version of AR-1 like we did in trikes using tires like this one. You can take these down to 6 psi and rll over some rocks and bumps without noticing them much. Going to use these on a bush plane project I am doing as well

Currently I have ordered Turfglide tires for 2 AR-1 current orders that are sort of in between and be used on either tarmac (12 psi) or on grass fields (10 psi)

Last edited:
Nice for bumpy ground, but there is going to be a ton of extra drag during a takeoff roll through 10" grass, no matter how big your tires are.

My first airport had 1100 feet of grass or 1600 feet of pavement, but 50’ trees right at end of runway. I had to be off ground midway or would abort. Only had to abort twice. Once due to sticky snow when on skis and the other high density altitude day. Couple other times just cleared the trees. Good place to learn.

Here in Colorado there are no trees and runways are like a mile long…

Nice for bumpy ground, but there is going to be a ton of extra drag during a takeoff roll through 10" grass, no matter how big your tires are.

Yes. The key to “Bush” anything is not just big tires and soft suspension. It’s light wing loading. Piper Super Cub has that. When I did all the engineering analysis and structural testing for American Legend Super Cub clone I don’t think even given SoludWorks or Katie and FEA we could have reduced structural weight much more than it was. They could have made a killer Cub using a lighter engine. Those tractor tech old engines are freaking heavy.

It becomes clear that making something like a tank is not the successful recipe for a Bush aircraft. It’s engineered to have both strength at lightest possible wing loading.

Sounds like the Rough Field take-off maneuver would have been good to have practiced b/4 utilizing a runway w/ tall grass.

What is the Rough Field take-off maneuver Kevin?
Same as Soft-Field.
Similar to Short Field, w/ out the pressure of obstacles @ the end of the field, like a Short-Field presents.
Get off the ground ASAP (getting rid of drag on wheels that isn't an issue on paved or hard pack runway), stay in ground effect while building A/S b/4 entering climb sequence.

Same as Soft-Field.
Similar to Short Field, w/ out the pressure of obstacles @ the end of the field, like a Short-Field presents.
Get off the ground ASAP (getting rid of drag on wheels that isn't an issue on paved or hard pack runway), stay in ground effect while building A/S b/4 entering climb sequence.
Thank you Kevin.