Appears a Gyroplane-Specific FAA Flying Handbook FAA-H-8030-20 Is Imminent

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
I just saw that a new edition of the Aviation Helicopter Handbook FAA-H-8083-21C will be released on July 27, 2021.

It also appears that the FAA will finally make that handbook inapplicable to gyro's and will be publishing
the first edition of FAA-H-8083-20, specifically for gyro drivers. This should be a good move and hopefully
eliminate the "yeah, but that sentence doesn't apply to gyro's argument."

Keep your eyes out for it.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 61
Will do. Thanks for the update, Bryan. On a related note, does the FAA consult with Gyropedia? I have heard that the FAA's knowledge on gyros is limited, though I do not know if that still applies. I'm just curious what source of gyro-specific information they consider the definitive authority, or how that is collected. Thanks.

Will do. Thanks for the update, Bryan. On a related note, does the FAA consult with Gyropedia? I have heard that the FAA's knowledge on gyros is limited, though I do not know if that still applies. I'm just curious what source of gyro-specific information they consider the definitive authority, or how that is collected. Thanks.
According to Chuck B., the FAA gets desktop publishing folks who don't have any real understanding of the subject to compile the information and create these handbooks. My thinking is...the FAA will have many gyro folks on the payroll that have a lot of tribal knowledge and those from academia will probably help fill in knowledge deficiencies.

According to Chuck B., the FAA gets desktop publishing folks who don't have any real understanding of the subject to compile the information and create these handbooks. My thinking is...the FAA will have many gyro folks on the payroll that have a lot of tribal knowledge and those from academia will probably help fill in knowledge deficiencies.
That would be nice. Perhaps it bleeds into gyro-specific rule making, particularly 103 UL weights and top speeds, though I don't expect that to change in my lifetime.

I just saw that a new edition of the Aviation Helicopter Handbook FAA-H-8083-21C will be released on July 27, 2021.

It also appears that the FAA will finally make that handbook inapplicable to gyro's and will be publishing
the first edition of FAA-H-8083-20, specifically for gyro drivers. This should be a good move and hopefully
eliminate the "yeah, but that sentence doesn't apply to gyro's argument."

Keep your eyes out for it.
any word on 8083-20 or 8083-21C?

FAA-H-8083-21, Rotorcraft Flying Handbook (PDF, 16.1 MB)
Note: This handbook is to be used for gyroplane information only. Disregard any Helicopter information presented. For current Helicopter information refer to FAA-S-8083-21A, Helicopter Flying Handbook.

Note: the above blurb from the FAA site still refers to 8083-21A which has been superseded by 21B, with a rumored 21C on the way per the original post from @bryancobb above.
Is "FAA-H-8083-20, specifically for gyro drivers" going to be a real thing or still a WIP?

From the Preface to 8083-21B (2019):
"This handbook supersedes FAA-H-8083-21A, Helicopter Flying Handbook, dated 2012. Gyroplane information can be found in the FAA-H-8083-20, Gyroplane Flying Handbook."

Ya, sure. Gotta love how they refer to documents that have not actually been published.
I don't see 21C either...

Last edited:
I ordered my copy of The Gyroplane Flying Handbook FAA-H-8083-20 from Amazon today and it should be here on April 25.

It cost me $15.99.

The Gyroplane Flying Handbook is designed as a technical manual for applicants who are preparing for their gyroplane class rating. Certificated flight instructors may find this handbook a valuable training aid since detailed coverage of aerodynamics, flight controls, systems, performance, flight maneuvers, emergencies, and aeronautical decision-making is included. It also includes some sample questions for the PRH - Private Pilot Helicopter you may find helpful.

"This manual is the Gyroplane portion of the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook which has been superseded by the Helicopter Flying Handbook. The Gyroplane portion is still valid.
Released in 2000. Full size: 8.5 x 11 inches. 62 pages."

Uh... :(

I would like to know if this is in fact a new publication or just the same info that I have with a different cover. I bought a "Gyroplane Flight Manual" from Amazon 2 years ago, on the inside states "Excerpt from FAA-H-8083-21, Rotorcraft Flying Handbook". Chapters 15 - 22 of the old handbook.

Bobby

If it were really a new FAA publication, it would be available to download directly from the FAA as a new publication (i.e. not dated 2000).