Appears a Gyroplane-Specific FAA Flying Handbook FAA-H-8030-20 Is Imminent

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
I just saw that a new edition of the Aviation Helicopter Handbook FAA-H-8083-21C will be released on July 27, 2021.

It also appears that the FAA will finally make that handbook inapplicable to gyro's and will be publishing
the first edition of FAA-H-8083-20, specifically for gyro drivers. This should be a good move and hopefully
eliminate the "yeah, but that sentence doesn't apply to gyro's argument."

Keep your eyes out for it.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 37

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Will do. Thanks for the update, Bryan. On a related note, does the FAA consult with Gyropedia? I have heard that the FAA's knowledge on gyros is limited, though I do not know if that still applies. I'm just curious what source of gyro-specific information they consider the definitive authority, or how that is collected. Thanks.

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
Will do. Thanks for the update, Bryan. On a related note, does the FAA consult with Gyropedia? I have heard that the FAA's knowledge on gyros is limited, though I do not know if that still applies. I'm just curious what source of gyro-specific information they consider the definitive authority, or how that is collected. Thanks.
According to Chuck B., the FAA gets desktop publishing folks who don't have any real understanding of the subject to compile the information and create these handbooks. My thinking is...the FAA will have many gyro folks on the payroll that have a lot of tribal knowledge and those from academia will probably help fill in knowledge deficiencies.

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
According to Chuck B., the FAA gets desktop publishing folks who don't have any real understanding of the subject to compile the information and create these handbooks. My thinking is...the FAA will have many gyro folks on the payroll that have a lot of tribal knowledge and those from academia will probably help fill in knowledge deficiencies.
That would be nice. Perhaps it bleeds into gyro-specific rule making, particularly 103 UL weights and top speeds, though I don't expect that to change in my lifetime.