Apollo AG-1 flight testing data

Fara, which is the manufacturer of the propeller "Sterna"?

Thank you to answer me.

Fara, qui est le constructeur de l'hélice " Sterna "

Merci de me répondre.

Xavier

Hi All:

Following cruise speeds are given 2-up close to 1200 pounds weight. One up numbers were lower.
Cruise Speed (~5150 RPM): 87 knots - Fuel Burn: 5.6 GPH
Cruise Speed (~4700 RPM): 75 knots - Fuel Burn: 4.2 GPH
Cruise Speed (~4300 RPM): 65 Knots - Fuel Burn: ~ 3.3 GPH

Looks like 5500 RPM should give you around 95/100 kts. Very nice.

Jim

Fara, which is the manufacturer of the propeller "Sterna"?

Thank you to answer me.

Fara, qui est le constructeur de l'hélice " Sterna "

Merci de me répondre.

Xavier

Xavier:
Sterna Composite Propeller. Its a new company in prop making and I am helping them get ASTM compliance so I had to test it for 100 hours on representative engines (914 and 912) and I have to say its every bit as good as Sensenich propeller that is made near here (in Plant City, FL) and Sensinich has one of the best prop designers around (Steve). Of course now Steve has been pulled on designing props for Dept. Of Defense projects.

By the way, the more I get to know your Stella rotors, the more I appreciate them. Not just the airfoil but more the torsional rigidity and the efficiency it creates.

Looks like 5500 RPM should give you around 95/100 kts. Very nice.

Jim

We get 105/106 knots indicated (102.5 Calibrated) at 5500 RPM.

Bonjour Fara, quel modèle d'hélice "Sterna" utilisez vous : diamètre et réglages

Hello Fara, what model propeller "Sterna" you use: diameter and settings.

Xavier

Madmuz- I was real impressed with the Apollo having seen it at Bensen Days, and just recently when they stopped by my place in Illinois and gave my 93 year old dad a ride in it. I love the aerodynamic styling, its proven dependability, and Fara is a sharp engineer surrounded by other engineers. The price is very competitive and Abid and Greg are the nee dynamic dual.

Stan

If dad was 10 years younger , he probably would just write a check for one and let me chauffeur him around in it.

Bonjour Fara, quel modèle d'hélice "Sterna" utilisez vous : diamètre et réglages

Hello Fara, what model propeller "Sterna" you use: diameter and settings.

Xavier

Hi Xavier:
It's the 3-blade 70 inch diameter model. I forget the name of it for now. I am out of town in DC visiting my mom. I will get you the exact model as soon as I get back in the office.

or even on the AR-1 too

Well one of these days I will have to NOT join the greatest breach of personal information of any of the social media websites ever just so I can join in.

OK maybe my tude towards a company who's creator call's everyone on it stupid is a bit much!!

Hi Brent:
Happy Holiday. We are working on the first AR-1 production ... assembling it. I prefer to keep thing low key and post pics and video when its ready.

Its a step above AG-1 and it has some features like folding mast, lower weight (lighter) and trailing front fork with suspension and a device to dampen vibration. Otherwise its the same AG-1. All composites are done with fire retardant and FAA approved resin and cloth. Of course wheels and brakes etc. are all US made not European stuff as well. AG-1 used Stage6 racing scooter brakes with DOT 4 fluid. We use Cub style hydraulic disc brakes from Tracy O Brian with custom made teflon SS braided brake lines with AN fittings and milspec 5606 brake fluid or ATF. We also did away with pneumatic (air) system completely, going for simpler mechanical and electrical linear actuators. All main hardware is also made by AirFasco (AFC) AN and MS hardware instead of metric customized bolts.
We also are using lifetime teflon SS braided oil lines that should not require changing for the lifetime of the aircraft and tefzel wiring with amp (milspec) connectors in the wiring harness and Tyco aircraft circuit breakers for every switch that are slightly more expensive but aircraft grade.

Everything except the engine and Averso rotor system are made here in the US, mostly by or for us.

Last edited:
Abid I think you have well done the basic things that many others should have done all along. Design the gyro from the ground up to be certified. Its not that hard if they know what they are doing. Use good ideas and sound principals to build a safe and quality product. Good for you guys!

Thanks Desmon. We also changed the tail and rudder to be larger. This is to offset the effect of increasing destabilizing side area if one installed a canopy. AG-1 added extensions to the tail which work but we have them built in and also have a significantly larger rudder.

I guess that would be the most significant change for flight characteristics for the better.

Last edited:
Thanks Abid It all sound good. When do you think it will be flying? Can I still get the tail weilded on not bolted i know that is for shipping but just wanted to know if it is an option?