anyone recognize these part# e20-1400 or 4hbre20 elastomeric bearings?

skyguynca

Gold Member
Aircraft
depends on what I have sold recently
Total Flight Time
5000+
I am looking to purchase two of these bearings but I can not find a source.
Do any of you heliguys recognize them?

I believe they were used in the Lonestar rotorhead and also in the Rotorway rotor head?

Thanks for the help

David

Barney Bahle

Aircraft
Scorpion 145
Total Flight Time
2.5 hours
If you contact Rotorway and tell them you are working on a Scorpion they will sell you parts without the $250 registration fee. But be warned, they are proud of their parts. Last I heard elastomerics were over $1000 a set and have a 5 year lifespan. The manufacturer will not sell them to anyone but Rotorway.

Their have been rumors of guys that are gonna build a better mousetrap but to my knowledge, none have succeeded.

Rotorguru

The Rotorway head is a good design. the problem is its design is over 50 years old and uses proprietary elastomeric bearings that cost a fortune and can only be purchased from Rotorway. I would prefer a rotor head with a bearing stack over elastomerics.
When building a helicopter makes more sense to design and build your parts rather than use someone elses parts. They are not really that hard to make.

LD

skyguynca

Gold Member
Aircraft
depends on what I have sold recently
Total Flight Time
5000+
Well so far I have head plans I have are the ones from the HRH which I can make all the parts but no parts list for the bearings and no source but Rotorway and they will not sell to me because I did not buy a helicopter kit from them.

The other head plans I have are for the Polynova Choppy, The Indian and AW95....which realistically are all the same head, no one flys these head very far off the ground, just hovering exercises.

I also have the Skytwister from Ben Showers. Talked with Ben many times, this is also a hovering exerciser.

I also have this set pictured below. I have not seen them anywhere being used. Designed for a two place so really to big for a single place but could be used but also heavy. Looks like this is my best bet though for a flyable reliable head.

Attachments

Rotorguru

The head pictured is overkill for a single place helicopter. it just looks like some ones rendering. and not an actual workable rotor head and not very well designed. Believe it or not the mini 500 rotor head is a good design just copy it. very easy to build. just make sure that you know the spanwise cg of the blades to get the correct coning angle and undersling

LD

Last edited: