Anyone own a 285 or XET?

baronpilot

Aircraft
Baron B55, Bonanza V35, Brantly B2B
Total Flight Time
Would like to hear your thoughts on both. I had a Helicycle. Love the way it flew other than when it tried to kill me by going into a horrible pylon whirl in the main rotor system.

The Helicycle would cruise nicely at 90 MPH. A little thirsty at 14 GPH.

The 285 appears to be an Artic Cat 800 HO engine. Have they figured out how to keep proper lubrication of the engine with low MP and high RPM? I assume the EFI / computer handles the oil injection with RPM as a variable?

Also interested in the EXT. I must admit I really liked the Helicycle engine. It was the best part of the helicopter.

Would loved to hear PIREPS.

I have a XE with a Hirth 65 hp and very happy with it. fuel burn 5.5 gal per hour, vne is 90 if I wanted to go fast I would get a md 500e but don't have the money so I'll stay with what I have, It has all the power I need if you have any questions let me know

chuck
[email protected]

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the reply. I am curious about the 285 and XET. I want the speed as I intend to fly it to and from work often. It is a 40 mile trip each way. With a headwind a 65 MPH true airspeed machine just won't work. The Helicycle had the speed I liked.

As for a MD500 - I love them and could afford to buy one, but there is no way I would spend the $ required to maintain one. Certified turbine helicopters start at $400/hr. Makes no sense for a pleasure aircraft.

Don't want anything certified. R44 is a $300k+ machine with 12 year life limit. $15k per year for insurance and stupid parts prices. Just will be me in the machine.

Todd,

In my experience, Jon Uptigrove is very accessible and he shoots straight with you. He`s a REAL engineer and will discuss issues truthfully. I`d go straight to him with my questions if I were you.

Keep chasing that "Magic Carpet." :)

Thanks Bryan. What do you think of an Arctic Cat 800 HO engine in the Mosquito? The Mosquito airframe, transmission, and rotor system appears to be proven. The weak link in these small helis has always been the trans and the engine. Just not sure if I can handle having a two stroke in the machine.

baronpilot
Go to the mosquito forum and look at the post from 285 owners and send them a pm
and get a ph# I'm sure they will give you all the info you want. If you have problems let me know

chuck

I will do that, thank you. I noticed that the Mosquito Forum is rather quiet. There are only a few threads on the 285 and really very few threads at all considering how many machines are out there.

I like the simplicity of the cog belt drive system and how everything is very much in the open.

Todd,

I am a believer in 2-strokes as I have stated many times. Nothing even comes close -- bang-for-the-buck-per pound.

But you MUST pay attention and become an expert on your engine's operation.

I sure LOVE the idea behind the new e-Tech type engines although I haven't ran or flown one. The principle of altitude-compensated direct fuel injection and precision targeted oil supply that never mixes with the gas sure seems like superb ideas.
They pull-start easily on the first yank of the rope in -30 DegF temps. They have a FOG button to use on shutdown that coats the inside of the engine with anti-corrosion oil.

Talk with Dwight Junkin at the Mosquito factory in Trenton, FL. He probably has more hours setting up and flying a 285 than anyone.

Last edited:
baronpilot
The mosquito forum is slow at times I think some of the owners are not the type to
chat on forums unless they have problems. Look at me I'm online and I should be in
the shop putting the dynavibe on the main rotor, ok no more sitting around off to the shop

chuck

Yes, I agree. The DI along with the RAID valves that close the exhaust port before the mixture enters makes sense as does the oil directly applied to the required areas WITHOUT fuel makes total sense.

With that said, the ECU in the e-tec requires 50 amps of power and is actually cooled by flowing fuel through the ECU!

Also, the fuel is actually injected by using electromagnetically powered "rams" which force the fuel into the chamber at the correct time. While this works great it is another part that could fail along with the RAID valves and the high-current ECU.

There was a reason that the Mosquito guys chose the Arctic Cat engine over the BRP and I would like to know why. Cost, better design, ability to buy them?

I have posted my questions on the Mosquito board and the first question was answered by the Mosquito designer. Is that Dwight?

...the first question was answered by the Mosquito designer. Is that Dwight?...

No. The designer is a Canadian named John Uptigrove.
Dwight Junkin is his Director and Test Pilot at the factory in Florida.

Dwight is a working manager with abilities and experience doing every task in construction as well as setup and flying newly-built machines.

John
get-photo.asp

Dwight
get-photo.asp

I own/fly a Mosquito 285. I originally had the MZ-301 engine, which was a complete piece of junk. The 285 is dead reliable, starts instantly with a touch of a button, and has been trouble free. I fly every week, from my home. A good preflight, and off I go, no surprises. The computer manages the fuel and oil injection well, no issues with altitude changes. I know that it reads throttle position along with various temps, so perhaps that's how it meters the oil injection. The 285 and turbine model have a faster main rotor RPM, 590 versus 540 for the XE models. VNE is 100 mph for my ship. I typically cruise at 70, but push it forward, and away she goes. Hope this gives you a bit of insight. One other thing, you'll never find a better factory support system.
Dave

Stories and expierences?

Stories and expierences?

Hello Dave,

Please share with us how many hours you have on the machine, whats your empty weight, typical flying weight, what altitude you fly at, fuel burn. Whats your typical flight profile when you fly every week, are you just out tooling around the boonies or are you "working"?

Best
Jason

Not many hours on the new engine, 37 I think. Built this helicopter 8 years ago, the original engine was trouble prone. I usually fly for about half to one hour at a time. My empty weight is about 380lbs, and I weigh 155. Now, I'm in El Paso, about 4,000msl, with density altitudes in the summer months of around 7,000. I like to depart with full fuel, as I sometimes go to visit folks. Even on 100 degree days I have ample power, it still amazes me. What I really like is the reliability of the 285, once dialed in, it just runs! As far as fuel burn, I'm seeing just under 6 gallons an hour. I had considered ordering the belly tank, but it really isn't needed for my kind of flying. I have had it to 95mph indicated on several occasions, just fooling around, but enjoy flying at 70/75. The 285 is the engine we have been waiting for. Not using it for work, just having too much fun.
Dave

Keep us updated

Keep us updated

Thanks for the information Dave. Please keep us updated as you build time.

Best
Jason

Dave (Rangeflyer),

I finally got the ability to post! Bryan nice to see you here too!

Michael

Hi Michael

Hi Michael

Dave (Rangeflyer),

I finally got the ability to post! Bryan nice to see you here too!

Michael

I just flew the Mini-500 all over the Cartersville/Rome/Cedartown area for an hour-and-a-half yesterday in beautiful weather.

My Rotax 582 is doing well. Not a single hiccup. Really need my low fuel warning system to work right though. I almost got into a "situation." Time really fly`s by when you are having fun!

The rotor gets a little rough when I push it above 90 MPH and I need to come off the hip with some $$$$ and buy a balancer to adjust the blade tabs and get it smooth at 100 MPH.

Help me with your identification. I can`t place who you are and if we have met??? Are you a level III Non-Destructive Tech?.... or MEDICAL X-Ray guy?

Last edited: