Anyone know this RAF mod?

cbonnerup

More Senior Every Day
Aircraft
Building a Gyro, modified J4B2
Total Flight Time
12 hrs PP; others as available
Any info would be appreciated. Builder, history, etc.?

Thanks once more,
Chris B.

Attachments

• MOdded_RAF.jpg
    MOdded_RAF.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
I know this machine. I cant think of the gentleman's name. He is from Canada and comes to Mentone a week to ten days early and works his butt off setting up. The conversion I am pretty sure was a kit made by the Sparrow Hawk people. They are no longer in business. Hope this helps.

That is a Murray Freemans nice machine.

As Mike says, he is from Canada and works his butt off before the convention.

Stan

Thank Mike and Stan,
Did either of you see it fly? I really like the mods. A 'reasonable' RAF.
Mentone has been outta' reach for two years now; perhaps next time...sigh.

Chris

Steve- My mistake for saying Freeman. Thanks for correcting that,, and sorry Murray for getting your last name wrong!

Stan

Murry trys to get to Mentone every other year. I helped him remove his blades on PRAs 49th aniversary. I didn't see it on our 50th so he's due again this year. I don't think it's a Hawk but a converted RAF 2000. Murry also swapped out the 2.2L for the 2.5L FI and went with the 4 bladed prop at that time. Stan PRA 41973

Henry Foster (Olney/Dallas) was selling his last I heard (same as your photo). I've got about 20 hours in his machine.

Once more,
Another reason (if one needed) to go to Mentone this year.
Please all an honest opinion...if I go will be driving from near Raleigh, NC. I plan to camp in the bed of my P/U with an air mattress and 12V cooler.

Will I regret the heat at night without a fan? Or should I bring an industrial battery with an inverter and run a microwave/fan/cooler? Unfortunately gotta' go with the cheap.

Thanks for all the comments.
Chris

It's a great machine. Murray took me up at the 49th and let me take the cyclic for a while. He's a great guy. Can't wait to say hi to him this year.
You should be prepared for rain, and lots of it! Both years I've gone there, people have had their tents flooded from rain storms.