ANR in single seat open gyro?

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
300+
I am looking at a few helmet choices, I have read 1000 reviews and am no closer to getting a solid answer.
Is the ANR of the Bose A20 worth a hoot in an open frame gyro flying between 40 and 60mph out in the open?
Has anyone tried using the A20 with no visor or windshield?
let me know what you think.

I am looking at a few helmet choices, I have read 1000 reviews and am no closer to getting a solid answer.
Is the ANR of the Bose A20 worth a hoot in an open frame gyro flying between 40 and 60mph out in the open?
Has anyone tried using the A20 with no visor or windshield?
let me know what you think.
I used a Halo in an R-22 with no doors and it worked great. It also fits under my auto racing helmet.

smiles,
Charles

Hi Bro.
You have used my David Clark or Lightspeed older ANR and I've not used the Bose A20 in real flight at all.

However, I can do an evaluation from Greg Grimmerger flying across the USA in his open Magni and meet up with us in patches and we flew down to San Diego as a flight of two. Dave was in on that adventure.

Greg may not have the newest Bose A20 but it was the 1st blue tooth model that Greg used by transferring it from the radio to his cell phone to call me and report his position all along his flight path and report back to the forum.

For the first 3 calls, I had to ask Greg are you in the pilot lounge at an airport? No, I'm at X thousand feet exactly the lat and log I gave you.

It was so quiet on my end I could never tell he was in the air. I could not hear wind, engine, or rotors. Truly blown away. It really sounded like he was in a very quiet room.
If it is the same in helmet experience you will love the difference and never miss another word because of noise.
IIRC I asked what he had over the mic and he said a leather cover with very small holes in it over the foam.

Last edited:
I bought my Fly Com helmets back in 2009 four my Apollo monsoon trike. Everywhere I went I got comments on how clear my transmission was. I now use the same helmet in my AR 1 gyroplane I now added a Bluetooth connection for my iPhone so I can listen to music and make calls if needed. I still get the same comments about a perfectly clear transmission on the radio. As far as the phone goes it is the same as John says nobody has any idea that I am calling from inside the Gyro in-flight. I will say that Fly COM might have changed hands in the last few years so I can’t say that the newer helmets are of the same quality as the old ones.

BTW, Bro. Wait just a little longer and for $10 you could win the headset or Fly COM helmet.
As soon as our internet service provider fixes PRA.org's emailing system we will have a Raffle where you can pick from one of about 14 prizes.
There are only about 300 people in our raffles and you can really win.

That is the one consistent comment from winners. I never win...
Also, one person has won the 1st place prize and a 2nd place prize of another raffle. He is in total disbelief.

I thank you guys for your input.
But for 2500 bucks I reall am looking to hear someone who hass used a new A20 out in the open.
Most reviews either say its great or its worthless as the wind noise activate the vox on and off repeatedly with squelches and pops...but thes guys are behind a windshield in Wacos and Pitts.
I think I have settled on PNR and adding a set of Bose in ear ANR headphones for the connectivity.
My buddy does this and is quite happy. Plus it will save me a grand.

FWIW, the ANR feature will do nothing for your outgoing transmissions. If you are in a single place machine the ANR feature may well be a waste of money. No intercom issue to deal with so set the radio volume and squelch for your situation and save some big bucks!.

Most reviews either say its great or its worthless as the wind noise activate the vox on and off repeatedly with squelches and pops...but thes guys are behind a windshield in Wacos and Pitts.
That has been a problem with all of them in the past too. That is why I asked Greg what he had over the mic. You can solve that problem with all of them from what I've asked others.

Its not my transmissions I care so much about, its paying for ANR (1000 bucks) and it not actually doing anything for the wind noise...I mean if it doesn't make it all cool and quiet, why spend the money?

ANR is very good at killing repetitive low frequency rumbling noise, like the rotor and engine in my Bell 47 make. It is not good at non-repetitive noise or higher frequencies. ANR systems rely on passive silencing for that.

Thanks guys' PNR and in ear anr ear plugs it is!

I fly my TwinStarr (open cockpit) with a Lycoming engine (O-032) and I use the Bose A20 headset, it's worth the money to eliminate the noise. Hugh difference when I turn on the noise cancellation. I can hear other aircraft transmissions better. I like the blue tooth feature. After flying, I always fill my tank and listen to music from my IPOD on the way back to the hanger.

I flew from Boston to Peoria IL with a paper sectional in a Cub. Only had one issue with fuel stop being closed so had to divert to some remote place for fuel. Fun times. I prefer GPS now. Less stressful.

Hey Ben,

Borrow and try one before you buy. My Dad has a Bose headset I tried out in my SC Vortex and I didn't care for it b/c it was TOO quiet. I didn't think I could hear a small change in engine sound that might indicate a problem. The other thing I didn't care for was the bulky/heavy battery pack on the cord that powers it.

Eric

I have panel power installed for my David Clark H10-56 HXP ENC headsets (ENC is Clark's name for ANR, electronic noise cancelling meaning the same thing as active noise reduction), so I don't have to worry about battery packs.

Eric, Thank you!
I wondered about that.
Flying in enclosure pod or out in the open?

I fly with the Bose A20 in my open cockpit Aircam with twin Rotax behind me; makes a significant difference.

Loftus, does your Aircam have a small windshield?
I am trying to ascertain if the wind on the Bose unit activates the VOX or not. I think I already have decided on a solution, but as is the norm, by the time I wake and and call the US....they are all off work already!
so it can wait a day

Loftus, does your Aircam have a small windshield?
I am trying to ascertain if the wind on the Bose unit activates the VOX or not. I think I already have decided on a solution, but as is the norm, by the time I wake and and call the US....they are all off work already!
so it can wait a day
In the rear seat the wind in the mic does activate the vox to some degree. The mic glove helps. I have the PS Engineering PM1200 intercom designed for open cockpit.

roger that! Decision made, thank you