Another ultralight Butterfly flying in NM

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
https://m.facebook.com/roger.hooker.16/about
Scroll down below photos to videos section, second video, showing riverbed. He does what I also enjoy, following a winding riverbed while flying overhead, trying to stay w/in the course of said riverbed. I can't do it exactly on the tight turns, w/out slowing to way behind the power curve.

One of Kevin Eaton's friends on Facebook apparently also flies a Butterfly gyroplane.

"Flying the ultralight Butterfly gyro up the Rio Puerco in New Mexico":
(No need to be a Facebook member to view)

Last edited:

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Nice views & video

Nice views & video

It must be the first Butterfly UL with a custom windshield!

I wonder how long he has been building it!???? or bought from another owner?

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Roger Hooker

Roger Hooker

Chris: I don't know who Roger H. is, but wonder where he lives. He is friends w/ Kevin E. in Utah (since it appears they both fly an ultralight Butterfly gyroplane), & his FB page proudly shows a pickup truck w/massive wheels/tires @ a car dealership. A sign in the background shows the webpage of that dealership that indicates it is here in our local area...

His video footage flying that river is quite clear...

Last edited:

Eric S

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex & AAI (Sparrowhawk) RAF
I know Roger. He shares a hangar at Double Eagle airport in Albuquerque with a group of trikers. There is an active triker community out there, but he is the only gyro flyer. He has been flying the ultralight gyro for a few years and used to have an RAF. Impressive since the field elevation is 6K ft. Mine won't fly over 5K ft. with a Rotax 582.

Roger had great advice like "choke up on the stick" and "plant your wrist on your leg" to help me transition from 2-place training to my single place Sport Copter since the single is so much more maneuverable. He's a good guy.

Eric

MyTech

Ultralight Butterfly parts

Ultralight Butterfly parts

Does anyone know where to source the Ultralight Butterfly Rotorhead parts from? I need to repair one. :)

Thanks,
Steve

Alan_Cheatham

Does anyone know where to source the Ultralight Butterfly Rotorhead parts from? I need to repair one. :)

Larry Neil was keen to design his parts so they were proprietary, depending on what you need it maybe necessary to determine dimensions and have the items made my a machine shop.

To date I don't believe anyone has taken over production of Butterfly parts since the demise of the company.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Sent PM .....

Sent PM .....

Thanks,
Steve

I'd ask JAKE to build a compatible replacement!

GaryMac

Aircraft
Building a Genesis G1sa
Total Flight Time
Hey, Steve.

I happen to have a complete rotorhead for the ultralight butterfly.... I bought it from Larry and have never used it.

Send me a PM if you are interested the whole rotor head?

Thanks, Gary

FRANK'S

Super Supporter
Aircraft
1975 Bensen B8-M A65 Continental
Total Flight Time
yes it did thank you. nice vid how high are the sand cliffs? 100 feet plus or under 30 feet?