Another in NC

2girlsdad

Hi everyone! I've been here for a little while, just observing and learning....soaking up everything I can so that I don't ask to many repetitive questions. Quick background: I'm self-employed, so I have a very flexible schedule and time is a luxury I have more so than money. I want to build a single place gyro, not buy....so I'll know every detail of the machine, and I LOVE building things. I'm pretty mechanically-minded, I can weld very well, though I do not want to weld my frame. I'll have it done for me. My biggest question is, can I build a very safe gyro for a relatively small investment, or at least build in stages? I talked to Ernie Boyette about a week and a half ago. He was VERY nice and gave me a couple options, but to be honest, I just got confused. He's got pre-made parts for sale. He's got built machines for sale. I'm pretty sure he said something about a "rolling chassis" for sale. The price he gave me for a dis-assembled machine seemed reasonable (I don't want to quote it publicly as I don't know if he would want me to). I just wish I could break that price he gave me up over several months. I know, you say to call him and ask him. But I'm one of those that really doesn't want to call him a bunch and ask a lot of questions unless I'm going to give him my business. I don't want to get on his nerves, so to speak.

Is there a way to build the dominator any more economically feasible? Notice I didn't say CHEAPER, just spread it out by pieces. And, for engines, I am not opposed to a rotax or a subaru. Whichever I think is very safe and also money will play a smaller factor. Speaking of engines, do any of you have experience with the CAM 100?

I would love to start collecting parts. My final reservation is that (per my nickname) I have two little girls. A 2.5 year old and an 8 week old. They are my life. I sold my CJ 7 project to spend more time with my first one. Now, I decided to let my wife stay home, so mama is happy. This means, I can have my outlet. I hunt in the winter, so this will make for a wonderful year-round hobby. But, for those of you that have little children, do you feel confident in your gyros that you'll always come home to them? I fly all the time with my stepdad in his plane. I've been in a bonanza with an in-flight emergency out over the ocean. We were 7k feet in the middle of dark rain clouds. I had to look at the artificial horizon and gps to figure out that we were still ok. Recalling that incident make me wonder if flying is a smart move at all. All I thought about until we decended and finally found a runway was my little girl. Am I just being paranoid?

I'm sorry it's so long, thank you for taking the time to read. If anyone has any suggestions at all, I sincerely appreciate it. Thank you.

Chris

Hey Chris welcome aboard and thank you for the introduction! We are always happy to see another patient in our hospital who had been bitten by the deadly gyro bug :) we do not have the anti venom but some of these southern boys according to the myth have herbal cure for it......or you can just build one for yourself and learn to fly! :) Either way you are hooked. There are no stupid questions and the wealth of knowledge can't be beat on this forum. Good luck with your quest and as a side note you just happened to be in the right area in NC to receive lots of lots of help if needed. :)

Welcome to the forum Chris,
The lest expensive way to get a gyro is to join a local chapter and buy a good used gyro. Have experience club members help you look it over.
The issue of safety is one that all of us have to answer ourselves. No one gets in a gyro thinking they are not going home at the end of the day. Water is less forgiving than land, Air is less forgiving then water, so there are risk. Light gyros such as the Dominator can put down just about anywhere in an engine out. Its usually unseen objects, poor pilot decisions and pushing the envelope to the edge that will get you in a gyro. So I would have to say safely is mostly up to you.
Mustering pilots have untold hrs in gyros. I think it takes a mature pilot to restrain himself in these sporty rotorcraft. Hope you make the right decision for you and your family.

Chris,

This is my stock answer to a question you posed about safety:

Do you merge onto Interstate Highways where you may find people of questionable qualifications and abilities (and sobriety) driving vehicles within feet of you at speeds where a single error could end your life? Do you drive two-lane roads where those same unknowns are coming at you within 6' at a combined speed that is most often greater than 70 miles per hour? Could they be on the cell or texting at the time they pass and forget to look where they are going? Have you =ever= heard a traffic report in a major metropolitan city that did not include a severe multi-car collision?

I have been driving and flying for over 40 years. I have had 5 head-on collisions in automobiles (three while I was stopped at a traffic light). In all 5 of these, the operator of the other vehicle was "under the influence of a foreign substance." I have had one engine-out in a Bonanza (Fixed-wing aircraft) and one electrical system failure in a Cessna 172. In both of these, I landed at a nearby airport without incident. I have had two gyro incidents. In one, I stupidly taxied into a hold an cracked the keel (off-runway) and the other was an engine-out. I remain undamaged.

What is the difference between the air events and those on the ground? On the ground I could have died due to someone else's negligence, incompetence...whatever. In the air, it was just me. Call me pompous (you wouldn't be the first), but I feel a lot more comfortable relying on me than someone random in the public.

My advice is to get more sufficient training and more than sufficient practice. Then, if you cannot trust yourself, perhaps another hobby would be appropriate.

Welcome Chris,

I sent you a private message.

BarryK

In the past few months.....we've had several people in NC express an interest in learning about gyros.......FYI......we do have several active GyroNuts in the Charlotte and close by Salisbury areas and we love any excuse to all get together and talk gyros and fly them too!

Come on guys.....let's all get together....soon......Charlotte is not that far from anyone!

Give me a call anytime.......or drop me and e mail.

BarryK

I am one of those guys.
Soon BarryK, soon. I promise not to bring '1946' with me ;)
Sister-in-law visiting shortly, so will have much time available while they do their equine thingzz.

the other Chris

JCarleto, you are right on the money. If you noticed in my first post, I do fly a lot....with my stepdad. We had an electrical emergency over the ocean off Florida last summer. Ironically, I just got off the phone with him before I logged in here to get him to fly me to Savannah, GA next month. Flying to Indianapolis a few weeks after that. I refuse to fly commercial if the bonanza is in the hanger. So, yes, I understand your analogy to getting on the highway. I've ridden motorcycles for years and never feel as safe as I do in the air. Because of this, I refuse to ride on the back of a motorcycle, when in a boat, won't go unless a select few or myself are driving, and when on the highway, I always drive. No one understands you better than I when it comes to wanting to be in control. The airplane is one place I cannot be in control, and it took many years of flying with him to give in and relax. After being in instrument conditions continuously and having no idea what to do, I learned to trust him. I still feel way more comfortable and safe in a small plane than a commercial one. I've been in a helicopter once, and was nervous the whole time. That's what's drawing me to gyros. Safety is paramount. I do trust myself not to do something stupid or risky. I have too much to come home to. My days of showing off and being a daredevil are long gone. So, thank you for your response. You hit the nail on the head.

Ultracruiser41, I'm going to send you a PM in a minute, but for others on here, I live in Garner. BUT, my parents (and where I grew up) are in Lexington, NC. 15 minutes from Salisbury. One of my best friends lives 5 minutes from Concord Mills. I go to see him quite often, and I go to my parent's house a lot in the summer since they live on High Rock Lake. In fact, we've been the last two weekends, we're going tomorrow, and back again next weekend. Point being, Charlotte is nothing in terms of driving. I would love to come see some of you guys and at least see a gyro up close.

Again, thank you all for the warm welcome. This is why I love pilots....I can't recall ever meeting one anywhere that isn't very friendly. And I've met
a bunch!

Friendly, I'm sorry I forgot to respond to you....I know I can most likely come out cheaper buying a used one. But, I'm looking at it like an ATV, I won't buy a used one because of how I used to ride them when I was younger....like I stole them. Hard tell at first glance if it's been run hard or ragged out. Yes, I know aircraft are a whole different animal, but it's a mental thing for me. Mostly, I just want to fly in something I can say I built myself. Because, most people think it's crazy. I like it. Your comment about unseen objects, poor decisions, and pushing the envelope is why I'm serious about the gyro. This is going to sound bad, but I have no other way to say it, but I find comfort in the fact that these are reasons gyros are crashing. It let's me know it's mostly pilot error. Rarely do I read about a mechanical failure that caused a fatality. It's usually objects or poor piloting skills. Don't mistake me for making light of an accident or death, it's just that it's good to know that it isn't the machine's fault. I never say never, but I feel confident I won't push the envelope, and I'm certain I'll get as much training as I can. Thank you too!

You might want to contact Phoenix Rotorcraft and see what parts Anthony can set ya up with, they are not far from you at all.

http://www.phoenix-rotorcraft.com/
I am in greensboro,but I don't have a Gyro, but you are welcome to drop by and check out my helicopter if you are in the Area.

Chapter 13 is a active PRA chapter and has a few get togethers. worth the time to Join.

I bought my dominater over a four year period in subasemblys when I could get the next group of parts the engine and rotors were the most then built it brian

Welcome to the disease. We should all get together at ultracruisers place.

Scott

Scott, I'd love to do that sometime.

Brian, do you have a build thread anywhere? Which engine did you use? Do you think it's feasible and/or practical to try to build it in less than a year and a half? Just wondering.

Thanks very much.

Chris

easiest way to spread out the costs of building a new machine in a case like yours is to purchase it via a balance transfer check from one of your credit cards. It will cost you some money in fees and interest, but with the right offer it can be reasonable.

I don't have a build thread you can build as fast as you can afford a year and a half is very doable, 582 rotax, ron makes a good point brian

Chris,
There are many ways to spread out the cost of building so the family can still eat.....you also must remember....the time that is taken from the family to build.

The guys here on the forum are a wealth of information about building, costs, fabrication......I've built 3 gyros and several planes so far and my kids still have a roof over their heads.....so....it is possible!

Come on down....meet the guys and let's brainstorm a little!

Barry

Thanks for the responses. The credit card idea might be a good idea for some, or most, but with a mortgage and a hefty business loan, I'm not taking on any more debt (payments) than I have to. Been good about not using credit cards for the past 2 years so I'd like to pay for it as I go.

Barry, I might be able to come down next weekend (21st) if it's convenient for you. If not, like I said, we come down to Lexington all the time. So, no rush on my end.

Thanks again!

Chris

Well, it's Monday. That sucks. But, I had one of the best and worst weekends ever. Worst part...my toddler had a fever near 104 for two days. I had one Saturday night and all day yesterday of 102. And I was a bigger baby than her!

Best part....I went to Charlotte Saturday around noon and met Barry (ultracruiser41). I think I spent about 4 hours or so with him. Bad idea financially! Barry, if you read this, know that I had the most fun that I've had in a very long time. And I've ridden motorcycles, atv's, go-carts, seadoo's, and just about anything else with an engine. That beat them all....put together. Most on here have a gyro, or have flown one, so it's probably not that big of a deal to you. It was a first for me, and for someone who LOVES to fly, this is the ultimate ride. I thought I'd want to build an expensive, closed cockpit version like an RAF. NOPE. I don't see how you could get a better experience than an open tandem like Barry's. That's what I want. I couldn't have asked for a more patient, knowledgeable, or competent pilot. It was everything I expected and more. I also expected to be nervous or have anxiety, but that really went away the second I put the harness on. I never worried a bit. I have to have one of these now. Thank you Barry, very much.