Another Gyrobee flies!

pallen_001

Aircraft
Fly Bell 412/AW 139 / MD902 , Own Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
5000 +
As some of you know, I bought this gyrobee back in February. It was complete and for the most part airworthy and had an N-number and Operating limitations. I bought it because it seemed to have all the paperwork done and all I thought I would have to do is get the local FSDO to change the area of operation for the 40 hours of Phase 1 testing... how hard could that be... well it turns out it can take 10 months! To be fair though part of that is because I am only in the States for 1 month out of every 3. Anyway, the FAA made me go through the whole process over again including application for an airworthiness cert and aircraft inspection by them. The good news is it is finally done! They blessed my gyro about a week before I had to leave the States again so I didn't have a lot of time to fly but I still managed to get 6 or 7 hours on it. Each time I flew I had the Gopro on it and I compiled all that together and made a short video, you will find the link below.

This is my first shot at video making so don't be too critical.

https://vimeo.com/54192627

Peter

Looks great to me!
Enjoy the new machine

Paddy

Excellent video and very nice build. So you managed to get even a main suspension under the Part 103 rule? That's awesome!

Kai.

Part 103

Part 103

Kai,
This gyro was flown under part 103 for about 80 hours before it got its N-Number and I got it and was about 252 Lbs. Since I put the brake on the front wheel, put on a new seat tank, and added a couple of instruments to it, it would now be about 4 LBS over the part 103 limit. Fortunately it now has an N-number and is no longer a part 103 gyro.

Pete

Nice video.

Really makes me miss my single-place......

Pete
Nice video....
Great camera working from different camera angles, it was put together very well.
You did a great job!
Doug S.

Congratulations Peter!

Congratulations Peter!

Thank you for sharing the fun.

In my opinion that is a very well done video.

Thank you, Vance

Great job. Love all the different angles. I like your air strip. Hope you don't distract the divers on the road too much and cause an accident but good place to advertise gyros.

Hiway

Hiway

Tim,
Actually, we don't do too many touch n go's for just that reason. Airports are too hard to establish and too easily lost for us to take any chances. The owner tries to keep a low profile to reduce the possibility of problems.

Pete

Man !! That felt real good ! Loved the music too ! Is it possible that you could be flying with my old 447 ?

I had the two cooling shrouds powder coated......one red & the inner one flat black.

Under the plastic snap-on fan shroud...you would see a little broken metal. I would love to know where my little baby went ?

Who built this machine ?

She flies real good !!! Is that an airport straight ahaead ?

Thanks !

Gyrobee

Gyrobee

Steve and Chris,
This gyro was built by Daryl Gordel. He flew it for a while as an ultralight then had an accident and completely rebuilt it. He flew it for a few more hours after that then had it registered with an n number. He then sold it. it has had 2 owners since, then I bought it, neither of which flew it.

Chris, it could be your old engine, I have no records of where it came from. Next time I am home I will look for the broken metal you described.

Pete

Thanks Pete - it certainly looks like real flying - enjoy your gyro

That was Fantastic! All the different camera angles was a great touch!

That was a super cool video! I love the music too. I saw it on vimeo before I had seen your post. Thanks for sharing. :peace:

Last edited:
Nice video, cool music.
The bird appeared to fly well.
No stick shack, and pitch stable.
Your manouvers are spot on,
I hope this is a compilation of many videos; to start a flight with minimal fuel onboard may not be a good idea.
have fun and keep it safe.

Video

Video

Yes, this was a compilation of about 14 very short flights and 2 slightly longer ones. All those different angle shots were done with the same camera. Also, I keep a close eye on fuel state.

Pete