Another Boyer stab joins the fold

You're responding to a 2010 post on a thread that has been inactive for 8 years, and to an original poster who's been silent here for 4 years. You may not get a direct response.

I noticed your stab is like mine. The angle of one upright winglet is different than the other side. Is that for a reason?
Troy, do a search on the Aviomania design and you'll find the answer.
Ol' Juan de la Cierva found that you could partially cancel out the motor torque's affect on the airframe (longitudinal twist) by altering the angle of incidence on the horizontal stabilizers (left / right).
I expect the RAF you cited is for the same reason.

I noticed your stab is like mine. The angle of one upright winglet is different than the other side. Is that for a reason?
Most likely it is to counteract torque and p-factor caused by engine and propeller.

Last edited:
That's the way sportcopter does it

That's the way sportcopter does it
That’s what Pops used to do. He put differential pitch in mine and it helped keep my machine straight when going fast. On the wood tails he would even put an upside down airfoil on one side.

That’s what Pops used to do. He put differential pitch in mine and it helped keep my machine straight when going fast. On the wood tails he would even put an upside down airfoil on one side.
I use upside down foils on my full flying V-tails, it's more efficient than using a symmetric foil and holding an AOA to maintain force....

Are you looking from the front or the rear? to say it's the right side.
I think the pilot side, left.
Even when they where not installed. the left side flange is not as thick as the right side flange. Q.C. unfortunately is not that good on these. :confused:
But I'm grateful the idea works.
My stab is this way as well. I took a tape and measured the flanges on both side and one was lower than the other side. Not to noticeable but I noted it as soon as I bought it and unloaded it at the hanger. I don't think its a big deal but what do I know, I am a newbie.