Another attempt, hover-copter

Correction...

Correction...

Correction to Post #71:

Most lift will come from prop not rotor :eek:
Moment has to be identical in top and bottom. Not necessarily hp.
Ratio between prop and rotor rpm should not go higher than 2:1, otherwise too many hps would go into the prop.
On picture below, rotor is now 14 ft and prop 72 in.

The figures might be something like this: (just a rough estimate)

700 rotor rpm x Moment = 20 hp
1400 prop rpm x Moment= 40 hp.

20 x 5,0 kg/hp = 100 kg lift = 220 lb.
40 x 2,5 kg/hp = 100 kg lift = 220 lb.
....................... 200 kg lift. = 440 lb.

Estimated overall lift per hp: 3,3 kg/hp = 7.3 lb/hp

I still hope the thing can be controled - can it?

Attachments

• GyroPlatform2Eng14ft-72in.jpg
    GyroPlatform2Eng14ft-72in.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1
Copy mill wooden rotor blades..

Copy mill wooden rotor blades..

Copy-Rotor blades might be a good idea for a small Hover-Something where the total weight will be app. 200kg.
With a coax rotor, each blade will only be loaded with 50 kg (app. 100lb).

Take your favourite extruded alu rotor blade, and copy mill yourself a set of rotor blades out of 1 piece of wood.
You can scale as you like and give it the angle you like.

Rotor blades can also be made in 2 parts. This gives the possibility of coning the blades.
The picture show one of each. What do you think?

Attachments

• CopyRotor1.jpg
    CopyRotor1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 2
Engine failure

Engine failure

The question is very important!

I'm flying with something like this ...

My engine failed...!@¨&*$#@@# what to do?

Meu motor parou...&*%@#$%...o que fazer?

...My engine failed...!@¨&*$#@@# what to do?...
You don't fly or hover higher then you care to fall.

Maybe the primary fun is to design and build these Hover-Contraptions.
Secondary is to use them for flying or hovering around.

Attachments

• All-Hover3.jpg
    All-Hover3.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1
A more practical CopyRotor. Dia. 2,6 m = 8.5 ft = 102 in.
Blades are only milled on top - bottom are kept flat. Width x Hight 120 mm (5") x 16mm (0.7")

Hard to make it more simple than this - I think:

Attachments

• CopyBlades4.jpg
    CopyBlades4.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1
  • CopyRotor4.jpg
    CopyRotor4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1
  • CopyRotor4.Dia3m.jpg
    CopyRotor4.Dia3m.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Hovercopters - Low and slow - below 10ft.

Hovercopters - Low and slow - below 10ft.

...I was meaning your hovercopters.....
This would make a very interesting display in my opinion and I would bring it to the board’s attention to have this as part of the 50th Mentone agenda.
Yeah, THAT WILL SELL!
And soon it will be usual (besides bringing your gyro or heli) you bring your latest version of your hovercopter to any event.
And a crowd will play and test out each others hover contraptions over in the hovercopter corner..

Yeah, THAT WILL SELL!
And soon it will be usual (besides bringing your gyro or heli) you bring your latest version of your hovercopter to any event.
And a crowd will play and test out each others hover contraptions over in the hovercopter corner..

Did Stan's quote not come from another thread,"Another attempt back-pack helicopter" ?

Transmission

Transmission

Using standard parts seam to give a nice, simple and light weight solution for the transmission.
Not all problems are solved, such as clutch, prop hub, big chain wheel, engine mount etc.

Attachments

• go-shaft-ass-overwiev.jpg
    go-shaft-ass-overwiev.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 2
  • go-shaft-ass.jpg
    go-shaft-ass.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 2
  • go-shaft-ass-cut.jpg
    go-shaft-ass-cut.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2
quadrirotor,

THAT HOVERBIKE is a very nice build - very great skills that guy has.
Unfortunately, that machine will never be sufficiently controllable - not even as a hovercopter - I think.
Hopefully Malloy don't care too much, and maybe he is already building something else.

I don't know who are behind the homepage hover-bike.com but they seam to like to play with other peoples money - what a dull game - if not criminal.

'My HoverBike' will work similar to the GEN H-4 :plane:

attachment.php

GEN H-4 vol4 - YouTube

A long time ago I dropped using the COAX-P for a HoverPlatform. www.sunflightcraft.com/en/coaxp.php

But now we know, that the COG don't have to be so exact in centre:
attachment.php

With a Rotax 582 the COAX-P gives 400-450 lb thrust with 2x3 72" blades.
They only deliver one gear ratio, but with 2x2 84" blades we might have a very good, simple and the most easy way to get into rotor craft flying :peace:
Although a little expensive - but not that much.

Attachments

• CoaxP-90dg.jpg
    CoaxP-90dg.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Ultra Low and Slow

Ultra Low and Slow

A nice hover thing. And very nice rotors.
But I don't like 2 rotors not mechanically connected - and here in combination with a high COG!
He has to go Ultra Low and Slow.

first-successful-manned-electric-helicopter-flight.jpg

A nice hover thing. And very nice rotors.
But I don't like 2 rotors not mechanically connected - and here in combination with a high COG!
He has to go Ultra Low and Slow.

first-successful-manned-electric-helicopter-flight.jpg

You're talking out of your rear end.
It has a very low CoM because the motors don't weigh a thing,it's the battery below the seat and the pilot in it that form the biggest mass,VERY low in the frame.
How do you know that the rotors are not mechanically connected ?

You are becomming so obessed with that "hover thing" that everything with a rotor has to go "low and slow".

No reason to argue (politely) too much about Pascal's build. If he can control it well, he sure will show us in a video.
But we can learn something from it in order to build other things - hover things - and post it in the hover-copter thread :)

Flying is relative dangerous and can easily be deadly. A reminder to those who fly, and to those that don't fly.

No reason also to post ignorent stupid remarks about Mr. Chretien's machine without obviously knowing what you're talking about.

At least he moved on beyond the "Lego style design" stage.

Lego

Lego

CAD 3D is today in use all over the world and for very good reasons.
This hover-copter thread shows how help full basic CAD 3D is. On top of that, it is a joy to work with - like building with Lego.

By the way, LEGO is Danish :first:

lego-helicopter-l8046.jpg

CAD 3D is today in use all over the world and for very good reasons.
This hover-copter thread shows how help full basic CAD 3D is. On top of that, it is a joy to work with - like building with Lego.

By the way, LEGO is Danish :first:

lego-helicopter-l8046.jpg

CAD 3D design ? MMMWWWWHHHOOOAaaaaahahahaha !!!
Stick with Lego !!!

New job?

New job?

One more thing related to 3D CAD design,

The business of oil drilling offshore have been down for a few years, but now we get orders on all kinds of equipment as never before. The company where I am employed are hirering people from almost all parts of the world, and this will probably continue for the rest of 2011. We have been urged to look for people we know that might be qualified.
So, if you have experience in general mechanical and steel construction, preferably have an Engineer diploma and have basic skills in 3D CAD - you have a chance to get a new job as Design Engineer Mechanical - right now.

PM me if you are interested and have some questions - I might be able to answer them.

Attachments

• Clipboard03.jpg
    Clipboard03.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: