AN Bolt Guages

route66

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
c-182/ RAF AAI Mod.
Total Flight Time
During my build I would need a bolt here and there and would measure the span needed, go to one of my 2 trusty gauges and order the exact bolt. Sometimes they would arrive right on and sometimes they were too short. Every time they were short I would think to myself, “What were you thinking?” After months of this order and reorder bolts till I have an ample supply of extra bolts to open a hardware store it struck me today, I have two gauges! The first came with my RAF kit and has instructions to measure the grip of the bolt and my other I purchased at Sun & Fun from A/S I assumed was read the same way. Wrong! The A/S gauge measures the entire bolt length.

My question is:
What is the standard way to measure an AN Bolt? Grip, length or should I assume both depending on the gauge?

Keep an eye out for my e-bay auction for an enormous collection of aircraft AN bolts once I finish.

We always figure our grip length first ,usually by marking a longer "test" bolt.

Then we refer to the Spruce catalog & find the correct AN bolt.

Then I order those & the next size up & the next size down! You can never have too big of a selection!

So if you don't want to store them when you are done......Send me all your extras!! Thanks Brandon, How much longer for your gyro?

Thanks Scott, My 1st gauge measured the grip needed and my 2nd from Aircraft Spruce measures the shank length. I would measure the grip needed with my calipers and use the A/S gauge to order. I just didn't realize the gauges were differant. Thought all gauges measured grip. Now I know better!

Chris, I have been laid up since last August and have not been able to work at all on the gyro till this past week. Hopefully if all goes well maybe she will be flying in a month or so!