American Ranger Gyroplane in SoCal

okikuma

Hey Everyone,

Here's a few of videos from a gentleman named Peter that hangers his American Ranger AR-1 gyroplane at Whiteman Airport KWHP here in Southern California. His hanger is directly behind mine.

Wayne

Morning Landing at KWHP - an American Ranger AR-1 gyro landing before the tower opens...

An American Ranger AR-1 doing the KLAX Shoreline Transition South

To KBFFI with Henry - two gyroplanes travel together through the High Desert

Arriving At KBFFI 2020 - two gyroplanes arriving at the El Mirage Dry Lake...

KBFFI 2020 - Woodstock (an American Ranger AR-1 gyroplane) Arrives for the Day 2 Activities

I am proud to be a part of Peter’s gyroplane adventure.

I was his primary instructor and helped him on his way to becoming a Sport Pilot, Gyroplane flight instructor.

He takes great videos and edits them nicely.

Thank you for sharing the fun Wayne.

Watched the two El Mirage videos. Really nice to hear pleasant, gentle music instead of hard-acid rock, grunge-type of extreme electric guitar stuff so many guys place in theirs videos, thinking the rest of the world likes to hear that stuff...

Well worth the time spent to view those two videos!

I like the “cleared through class Bravo airspace at or below 150’”. The requesting shoreline transition to south had me do a doubt look since on east coast the beach would be on my right going south. :)

I'm in agreement with you Kevin on how some VLOGs have the loud grunge type of music that is very much a distraction. Now that I'm becoming more of a grey haired wonder, my musical tastes have deviated. Perhaps my brain reaches sensory overload much easier than when I was younger. There some really nice non-royalty 21st century style music that is pleasant to listen while watching a well produced VLOG.

Dave, the shoreline transition along the beach at the west end of Los Angeles International Airport KLAX runways 24L, 24R, 25L, & 25R is a great corridor for helicopter traffic. It is sure fun to fly along at 150 ft MSL especially in a group of 12 UH-60M Blackhawks

mail

mail

Wayne

I'm in agreement with you Kevin on how some VLOGs have the loud grunge type of music that is very much a distraction. Now that I'm becoming more of a grey haired wonder, my musical tastes have deviated. Perhaps my brain reaches sensory overload much easier than when I was younger. There some really nice non-royalty 21st century style music that is pleasant to listen while watching a well produced VLOG.

Dave, the shoreline transition along the beach at the west end of Los Angeles International Airport KLAX runways 24L, 24R, 25L, & 25R is a great corridor for helicopter traffic. It is sure fun to fly along at 150 ft MSL especially in a group of 12 UH-60M Blackhawks

mail

mail

Wayne

Good sound tracks. Where did you get them?

I'm not terribly comfortable cruising at only 150 feet or less above water, especially when needing to keep at least 500 feet from bathers on the beach or in the surf for FAR 91.119(c) compliance (do a little bit of Pythagoras and that's at least 477 feet off-shore). It only gets worse when you cross a breakwater / jetty / whatever that has people, cars, or structures on it. ATC clearance for airspace doesn't relieve you of that obligation.

I agree. A chance for a violations is greater especially when the rules of separation is the same for a gyroplane as a fixed wing. For the most part, as for rotorcraft only helicopters have half the distance in separation as compared to a fixed wing.

Wayne