Am I a sucker

UtahBenson

Aircraft
Bensen
Total Flight Time
160+
Gang,

I just bought me another Bensen. The guy said he will deliver it for 3 grand. Actually his grandson said he would drive it up here so I may have something to fly by next year. I need to do a teardown and reseal on the motor and replace the nuts and bolts I'm sure but for 3 grand, I think I'm getting my $$worth. I emailed him and told hit if it didn't sell, give me a call and he did. What's the worst that could happen? I won't pay other than gas until it gets here.
I removed the link as it appears the deal fell thru.

Last edited:
Comments from my post in this thread:
http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22122
------------------------

Looks like a nice machine..!
The price seems fair, especially delivered.
I'm concerned about stability issues though, since it is setup the way things were done in "the old days".
I'd ditch the low mounted chrome fuel tank in favor a seat tank right away.
Then, mount a plate style HS (because it's fast and easy to do so) to the top non-moving section of the Tail (the section painted N2) supported with braces down to the keel.
These two changes alone will make this machine MUCH safer and more stable to fly- nearly a CLT. When you re-do the engine, make sure all bearings are upgraded (for engine longevity). You don't want any old "drone" components in there, they have a habit of trashing the engine when they fail. If you plan on keeping this a while, electronic ignition conversion is a pricey but worthy upgrade to consider (starting is so much easier).
That 90Hp Mac is a great little power house!
I've got a bunch of the tamer 72's...the 90's are nicer when rebuilt properly.

Good luck...it's a very nice project machine..!
M-M

Last edited:
I second all the thoughts about improving safety and stability! Not to mention, really excited to see yet another machine in UTAH!!! We are having our meeting in Spanish Fork the second Saturday of each month at 10:00 AM. There are some of us comming from north Utah, If you would like to ride with us call me. 435-730-0828. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

Curt

As stated in a previous post, the seat tank MUST be replaced...it will bring this airframe to nearly perfect CLT.
And here's a simple drawing of an HS Mod to the tail for the style of Bensen Rudder (seen above in the Ebay post).
Use either plate Aluminum or 1/4 plywood, with round tube supports below.
Make sure when constructing the "Swivel" style that the HS will not interfere with the prop when you turn the Rudder..!

M-M

Attachments

• Old Bensen HS Mods.jpg
    Old Bensen HS Mods.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1
Just remember that the original rudder hinges were not designed to take the horizontal stab loadings. They may or may not be strong enough for vertical loads. If the rudder rips off, you have lost a lot of control.

I think Tim Chicks' HS had the three single hinges (like this one) and it seemed to do quite well. I agree with the point in general. My choice would be the stationary but with longer and angled trailing edges (for rudder clearance).

I inspected my hinges regularly to make sure adding the stab was not causing any damage to them. They never showed any signs of wear.

I agree that checking for cracks is a good idea...but there is NO WAY that the suggested HS surface would be under any sort of extreme "Load" that would overwhelm 3 of those stout hinges (as were used in the Bensens) especially if the changes suggested were made. A Stationary style would be playing it safe...the swivel style allows a greater usable surface area. Either would serve the intended purpose...adding a HS where none exists and one is needed.

I almost bid on that plane but decided no more MAC's for me. Same for the MAC that was for sale near by me in Edgewood NM.

I have a feron can and another the same size that was out of a reverse osmosis system if anyone is building a muffler. They are available for the cost of shipping.

PS: I think this was a possible good buy if the crank in the engine is ok. I spent about 8K building my kb2 with a 72 MAC from scratch.

I think it is a good deal also, I spent over 10 on my KB2 with a 72 Mac, evrything new but that included blades and prop. I learned a good lesson there, you can buy, cheaper than you can build.

Not sure which machine.

Not sure which machine.

I will add the HS to whichever I end up finishing. I may just finish my origional with the 72 Mac. It had a prop strike so I need to pull it down and have the crank magnafluxed "'hopefully not damaged" and I will replace the seals and bearings while in there. Hopefully the bores are OK too. On the HS, I think I will go with the stationary type as simpler is well maybe not necessarily better but easier and probably less apt to fail. Pre flight is manditory and I believe I am pretty thourough but I will leave that observation up to the CFI I end up training with. I think I can get my first one going again with about 3.5 to 4K. I plan on changing the mast for 2 1"x2"'s as I noticed some holes the cheek plated bolt to are wobbled out pretty good. Someone couldn't drill straight:der: and it wasn't I!! Anyway thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will let y'all know how the project goes and which one :humble:

Chuck,

If you will send me your contact information (Name, Address, Phone # and e-mail address) I will get your name added to my contact list and I will start sending you our newsletter and chapter e-mails to let you know what's happening around you. You can e-mail me at "[email protected]". Welcome to the group. It's always exciting to find another Rotorcraft enthusiast.

GyroDoug

I don't think you are a sucker, I have a few Bensens with Macs, but the 3 grand would have made a very big dent in a reliable power plant and given you many more years of flying than the Mac will. You bought used parts to fix used parts. That is the trouble with keeping up the Mac. And the ignition will not let you use a radio very well. Never the less, I wish you the best of luck with your purchase and hope you meet your deadline for having something to fly by next year. If you decide to go with a Rotax or other power option, the Bensen /KB2s are simple conversions to dropped keel configurations. A classic Mac is a fun, fun, fun machine to fly over something you can land on.

Deal fell thru

Deal fell thru

Well I thought we had it worked out but I can't get ahold of him and he hasn't got back with me so I assume someone offered him more or something happened to him where he can't return my calls:noidea: which is a bummer but I will probably be better off reworking mine. I have been given several good suggestions from several of you and now I just need to try to put it all together.

Hello Chuck..
That might actually be a real blessing...$3000- saved can go along ways towards tweaking your current machine. The Mod's are easy to do...repairing the damage you described from years ago might take a bit more effort & time for you.
(...do I have it right...you've still got THAT machine?).

I started with a badly corroded KB-2 airframe, disassembled it and rebuilt all frame sections...basically a build from the ground up with modifications like drop keel, etc.
So I can relate to the work required to do things from "scratch".

M-M

Deal went thru after all

Deal went thru after all

I ended up getting it after all. My daughter and I drive 1500 miles straight thru to pick it up. It is a very low time machine. He only has 2 flights in the log book for it and that was almost 40 years ago. I will renew all the important bolts and change a few things out from my other one like the stick, control tubes and instrument panel. It has an air speed indicator in it that has never even been plummed :) I had to take my cutting torch with me as he wanted me to dispose of his trailer for him. I had to cut about 3 feet off to fit in the trailer I took down but I can weld so I'm set. I am going to order a seat tank next week. Those Bensen blades are short. I suppose they aren't bad for sea level but I am at over 5000 ft. Will probably get a set of DW's and see if I can get anything out of these. The guy that lent me the trailer also lent me a GPS and it saved out arses as we were so tired when we got there, even with the GPS, we missed a turn :) I won't travel again without one.