Aluminum Repair

I am skeptical, I have seen this stuff before and it works great if you have a bunch of aluminum cans with holes in the bottom... I could be wrong.

I am skeptical, I have seen this stuff before and it works great if you have a bunch of aluminum cans with holes in the bottom... I could be wrong.

I saw it demonstrated today by one of our machinists. He didn't do the can thingy but he did use 2 " wide 3/4" thick aluminum flat about 4" long.
He beat the $h1t out of it with a hammer. The joint did not give. The bar bent and dinged badly.

If you want to repair the door skin on your Land Rover, go ahead but don't use it on aircraft structures. The claim of the repair being stronger than the original, and demonstrated by tearing the base instead of the "weld" is simply due to the near complete loss of temper in the base material. It is rather difficult to use on heavier materials due to slow heat dissipation. I bought 20 dollars worth about 25 years ago, and still have most of it. It works for some things ok but the hype is pretty big for what you actually get.

It seems to be more like aluminum soldering rather than welding because there is no penetration on the base metal.

I use it and it works great for manufaturing ground use only brackets and jigs.

I find it quick and easy to use but would never use it for aviation use, certainly nothing structural or flight critical.

I have used the stuff and found it to be like Scott says. It is a high temp Aluminum braze/solder. I have had it stick well and other times it literally falls apart. It seemed to work much better on new material than old. Mapp gas was far better than Propane. I wouldn't trust it for anything at all on a gyro.
Some grades of Aluminum can be welded with a gas torch if the proper flame and flux is used. This guy knows how to do it and sells the stuff you need.

http://www.tinmantech.com/