Aluminum Ordered for Hornet Build

curtisscholl

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Building Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
60+
Hi Folks:

I just finished ordering the aluminum square tubing, angle and plate for the build of a Hornet using plans set version 13.2. This is the first baby step. Now I will get with another supplier for the AN hardware. Bolts, nuts washers. Wicks, Wag-Aero, Spruce and Specialty, maybe....if there is a local AN supplier here in the Detroit area, I will track them down.

This is going to be fun.

God Bless all

Curtis Scholl

Hi Curtis.

StarBee Gyros has a hardware pack for the Gyrobee. And I'm sure they could sell you what you need.

Cheers
Erik

Hi Curtis.

Please post photos and descriptions of the various stages and steps of your build. I'm doing the same thing at the moment with a GyroBee. The Hornet is based on the GyroBee and they share some features. Hope to compare notes and exchange some knowledge along the way.

Regards,
Brian

rcflier:

I could buy a kit of parts, but I want to get real hands on. I have the drills and the skills, just need the hardware and plans.

Brian:

As soon as I clear a space in the work area for a table, I will get the pictures started.

Curtis S.

I look forward to following your build Curtis.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

Please get training before you fly her.

Vance:

I have been in contact with Galen Geigley in Michigan...I will NOT fly this one without some hours in his or anyone's trainers. I have his suggestions for books/texts to read up on. That said I also need to shed some "ballast" to keep from overgrossing a Cavalon.

Curtis S.

Last edited:
Glad to see you understand the value of training Curtis.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

Vance:

Yes, this not just another Cessna 150/152/172 to climb into. I am looking forward to some interesting times.

Curtis S.

No Title

If you are already a pilot managing airspeed and altitude will seem natural to you; throttle for altitude and cyclic for airspeed.

The response to cyclic inputs will be much slower than a fixed wings response to stick inputs.

There is no adverse yaw from the ailerons on a gyroplane so the rudder is used in a different way but still to manage coordinated flight.

On many gyroplanes the rudder is to manage changes in power settings.

Remembering to manage your rotor speed on takeoff is hard for most fixed wing pilots. It seems like there is too much to do.

You will probably find the steep approach to land disquieting at first and the slow landing sort of comedic. Remember to look all the way down the runway as you begin your round out and the sight picture will seem natural.

Please keep us up to date, there are many here at the same point in their gyroplane adventure or wishing they were.

For me it brings back lovely memories.

Attachments

• photo127697.jpg
    photo127697.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0
Very excited for you.

We love build threads, with pictures.

Vance:

Thank you for the heads up on the differences.

I had stick for a few minutes in a Bell 205 once the PIC had it lined out. In straight flight at 90 knots I found we were still climbing and nosed it over, and started increasing airspeed. Normal stuff, but the difference was 90 knots increased to 100 knots very fast and I was flustered that the collective was the throttle as well as the pitch and this pilot had it locked down so much I almost strained my left arm. So I gave it back to him. It was exhilarating to be sure. The right hand wanted to go to a throttle that was not there,,..LOL..

Curtis Scholl

Hi folks:

The metal for the keel, mast, diagonal risers, motor mount and cluster plates arrived from ThyssenKrupp (OnlineMetals.com) on Tuesday 6/6/2017, and the bolts arrived Wednesday 6/7/2017. I need to build the worktable now. Progress...not perfection.

Curtis S.

Vance:

"On many gyroplanes the rudder is to manage changes in power settings."

What are we contending with on power changes? p-factor? gyroscopic tendencies of the propeller? OR variation in the amount of rudder needed based on the power setting of the throttle and movement of air over the vertical stab and rudder?

Curtis S.

Many gyroplanes with short rudders have the propeller slip stream pushing on one side of the vertical stabilizer and rudder at high power settings.

When I back off the throttle they have a tendency to unwind and rudder is required to maintain coordinated flight.

I determine coordinated flight with the yaw string and use the rudder as part of initiating turns and managing this power/yaw coupling.

A tall enough and large enough rudder reduces this tendency because the spiral is hitting on both sides.

Vance:

Very informative. Something else to look forward to. Yaw string will be mounted in a prominent place.

Does a slip-skid instrument work for this as well? Step on the ball to coordinate?

Thanks.

Curtis Scholl

In my opinion the ball doesn’t work the same way on a gyroplane as a yaw string Curtis.

The yaw string substitute for “step on the ball” is imagine the yaw string is a snake and step on its head (the part that is attached to whatever it is mounted on. In other words the yaw string will point at the correct pedal to step on.

Most gyroplanes I have flown fly less inefficiently in coordinated flight. This is most noticeable in the base to final turn. Fly it badly and you will lose more altitude that flying it coordinated. On some gyroplanes this means using the rudder to lead in and exit the turn. Flying the Predator I use the left pedal to initiate a left turn and right pedal to exit a left turn.

We had an informal four CFI meeting at Nephi (Britta, Michael, Brandon and I) and I feel the consensus on the worst common mistake a fixed wing pilot makes is to accelerate without having the disk back.

HI Folks:

I just completed the doors on the garage extension "lean to" and now it is time to clean up and clear the build space and put all the lawn tools in their permanent spaces. And then seal around the ground space. I have to make a table for the working space and drill press and lathe so I am not working on the bare ground. The garage floor itself has a bunch of stuff from two families. The aluminum is beckoning me to come and work with it. That and I need to finish the lighting....details details.

Hi Folks:

The lights in the "lean to" are operational. I can work and night during the winter now. Well, that is if the heater works.. Now for the cleanup and building the worktable.

That is the Hornet. If you have not downloaded them yet, get the latest version. The drawings in it have templates for cluster plates and such that are scaled to the part, if you use the correct setting in the printing.
Between the KB-3, the 3D-RV, and the Hornet, I am still toying with ideas about larger props.

Hi Folks:

Well, I met with a local gyrocopter builder, JazzenJohn, and I have narrowed the build down to the GyroBee. The metal I ordered will do for the things I need to get done. To be sure there will be more metal ordered as a stainless steel cluster plate is used at the base of the mast and the landing gear is a bit different. There are some suggestions for the engine mount and seat mounts that will be installed. But all this is moot unless I get my table together for assembly of the big parts and steady platform for the drill press. The basement will be utilized to build the small parts, grinding, cutting and drilling. That is after I get the honey do list for the stairs done.....

Thanks for all your support so far.

Curtis Scholl