Alton Bay NH Ice Runway B18

DavePA11

There is ice runway at Alton Bay NH, and believe it is possible to land okay in a gyro. However, for takeoff pre-rotating without moving forward might be difficult since most likely the gryo would slide forward or torque turn as the prop spins and pre-rotator spins the rotor? Thoughts?

I told Inquiring Minds to try it out sometime this winter... :)

Alton_Bay_Airport_%28B18%29_in_winter.jpg

Be prepared for an interesting experience.

Have landed a Learjet and a 727 on icy runways, not fun.

I landed there once in my J3 Cub a few years back with wind coming from the right in the above photo, and had to taxi back to parking using the taxiway cleared of snow. The J3 is so light the wind blew the Cub 180 back facing the wind coming from the right. The Cub doesn’t have an electrical system, so had to shut off the engine, climb out and spin it around and then hand prop on the ice taxiway. Did that a couple of times until I had enough room to take off and go home. Skipped lunch with the gang at the restaurant there. Went back to the hanger and put skis on. Then landed on the snow below the taxiway as shown in the photo above. Much safer on skis landing on the snow. Just have to stay away from the docks since owners stir up the water somehow to keep ice away.

I think landing on the ice runway with gyro would be fine. Not sure about pre-rotating keeping the gyro stationary and straight for takeoff...

It seems to me the difficulty would be prerotating as, unlike with an airplane, you usually have to increase engine/prop rpm, for that purpose, before you want to start rolling. It may depend a lot on just how well your tires grip ice. And, as Dave implies, those tires are also your "anti-torque system" when prerotating.
I imagine letting a bunch of air out of the tires would increase their contact area; that might help considerably.
OR, you could just land at Laconia, right on the edge of the lake, and only about 15 miles up the road. ☺️
(I believe that's Inquiring Mind's home base).

Last edited:
Like Tyger said .... prerotate slowly so the torque does not spin you around ... wouldn't want to use brakes for turning in case it puts you in a skid ... or crosswinds on landing or takeoff might "slide" you sideways , that would be my biggest fear.

I have started helicopters on glare ice and slowly nurse the rpm up ... too aggressive and the machine will do a 360 on the spot ... doesn't hurt anything ... just doesn't want to stop ... steel skids on ice are like an ice skater ... microscopic film of water forms .... no friction to stop it .

Other than that its fun !!!!!!