Almost life sized radio controlled "Little Nellie"

XXavier

Aircraft
ELA R-100 and Magni M24 autogyros
Total Flight Time
589 gyro (July 2020)
Some information found in the internet, on the model;

Captura de pantalla 2020-05-10 a las 23.46.13.png

It's interesting and instructing to try some simple calculations. The original 'Little Nellie' has a flight mass of 249 kg. Following the proportion law for volume (and mass, assuming the same global density) , the model mass should be 249 x 0,714^3 = 90 kg

The 'Little Nellie' was powered by a 72 hp = 45 kW two-stroke. Taking a proportionality exponent of 3,5 for the power, the model should have an engine of 45 x 0,714^3,5 = 13,84 kW, that is very close to the actual value.

My conclusion is that the model is disproportionately lighter. Its real mass is much lower than the flight mass of 90kg that could be 'right'...

Last edited:

raghu

Aircraft
J3 cub/ schweizer 2-33/ a few flights on twinstar
Total Flight Time
Very cool. The presence of a horizontal tailplane in the model caught my eye. The original Little Nellie IIRC did not have a stab. I am not surprised as models need stick fixed stability as the RC servo control makes stick free operation impossible. The stab is critical for stick fixed pitch stability. The original has an offset gimbal which provided stick free stability that a competent pilot can exploit to mask the stick fixed instability.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Mr. Bond looks like he has been scaled down in age, too - - too young to shave. Compare that chin to Sean Connery!