All The Kings Horses And All The Kings Men

billygyro

Parsons 2 (AirHog)
Aircraft
Parsons 2 Lycoming 0320 powerd
Total Flight Time
350 F/W -82/Gyro and counting
Jon has worked over time on this rebuild! great job Jon, The BullDozer will be flying soon,,I for one will be looking for the video's.....

Now get-r-done..:wave:

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Beech Bonanza G-35 N4638D/"The Bulldozer" 2-Place Gyroplane N575EE
Total Flight Time
Several
Ed: Thank you for the kind words. I did get volume complaints on the Bulldozer from time to time, but it certainly had a sound all its own. From a distance, it was easy to identify as a rotorcraft, but difficult to identify as a gyro.

Billy:
Yep. I figure I'm about two...maybe three weeks from finished. Sooner, if I can manage the distractions. I'm looking forward to getting it back in the air.

I finished the bracket in #4 above (rudder pedal stop bracket) and will install it when the paint dries. If I have time, I may look at the oil sender issue a bit. It's been monsooning here, and that makes everything more complicated and tedious.

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Several
I just returned from the hangar. From my "Top Ten List" to completion, I have now killed off:

1. Tidy-up wire and brake line tie-downs.
2. Fix whatever is going on with the oil pressure gauge.
4. Build and install the pedal stop bracket.

It turns out the oil pressure issue was yet another bad sender. This makes 3 I've had on the machine.

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
Jon/

Glad you told me that you posted the brake set web page here, I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I checked them out, and I am ordering a "rear set" that comes with the rotors, $18.00 ea, plus 8 rotor bolts @ $0.20 ea., and I asked about ordering a spare set of brake pads, shoot they only cost $2.50, I'd better get em now - the shipping and trouble to find them again later would kill me. I was just dreaming..er, thinking about this very thing last weekend. Thanks for doin all the legwork for me.

Too bad yer not coming down to Bensen Days. we'll one day have an event we BOTH make it to, at the SAME time! WITH guitars in tow. Shoot, that might be the only thing that keeps me from quittin all together, I'm pretty fed up. Every time ya turn around someone's pissed off at you, or somethin. Good grief. St. Peter hissef could come down and spit on some folks shoes and they wouldn't know it.

My neighbor got our tickets to Darlington, he's had 'is RV out of the garage fer near two, mebbe even 3 weeks now, jeex he's like a leetle kid. THat thang is spit polished and as clean as the day he bought it. He went n bought 'im a new flat screen fer the RV! dam fool. Some of the other regulars we go to Talledega and Atlanta with have made the request for my electric geetar and the pony amp. Shoot, when I crank that ole thang up the girls comes a dancin around OUR campsite, ye better be ready cuz some shirts is liable to come up! Dang! Hooters! not snooters! heehee

Last edited:

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Several
Greg,

Well, look at it this way...I should be finished with the beast by the end of Bensen Days. Time well spent, in my opinion.

Let me caution you on one quirk of that Chinese company's shipping notifications. My idea of "delivered" means sitting on my front porch. They consider it "delivered" when it gets to a US carrier and through customs. They seem reliable enough and their shipping time estimates were pretty close, but I got a bit concerned when it wasn't sitting on my porch when I got the delivered status message. It arrived a couple of days later.

And yeah, I heard somewhere you play guitar. I'm learning. Maybe we can get together sometime and try to play that duet in Mel Bay Book I on page 23. :boink:

Last edited:

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Several
Tim: Thanks! It's getting close now. I can smell the exhaust!..or at least the new paint burning in on the headers. I expect a lot of progress this weekend. I'll take some more pictures.

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Several
That's The Brakes (Pedals)

That's The Brakes (Pedals)

I had a bit of time this afternoon, so I knocked out the toe brake pedals. Fiddly bits like this are the real day-killers. I'll probably install them tomorrow.

Attachments

• img_0768.jpg
    img_0768.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Several
Pedal To The Metal

Pedal To The Metal

I got a few more things done today:

1. Brake pedal toe assembly completed.
2. Brake pedal assembly from the back.
3. Tail and Prop reinstalled.

All in all, a good day. The brakes worked better than I could have hoped (I went putting around between the hangars for a test). The toe brakes work about like aircraft toe brakes and that makes me happy. Steering is easy and predictable.

I also ordered the push-pull cable for the rudder. I decided to go with this over wire and pulley cables in expectation of one day having a passenger. I figure the fewer moving things under the passengers feet, the better. Besides, I hate cables and pulleys and that whole mess.

The bottom of the side panel is apart again in expectation of diving into the radio wiring. That isn't a "must finish" for the first flight test (well, putting the bottom lid back on is, but not the radio), but if I find I am waiting for parts or anything I can do that.

So, from my original "Top Ten" list to complete, I'm left with:

7. Build the bendix/rotor-steering assembly. (I never liked the old one, even after going through it to make it more stable).
8. Build a new hydraulic reservoir and plumb the pre-rotator.
9. Re-install the rotor-head.

I guess it is time to start thinking about #7. That's the big rock in the remaining projects.

Attachments

• img_0769.jpg
    img_0769.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
  • img_0770.jpg
    img_0770.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 0
  • img_0771.jpg
    img_0771.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Jon- Your gyro really looks nice. I like that diamond plate for your pedals and dash. Stan

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Several
Stan: Thanks! That was part of the original "Bulldozer" design from the first iteration. I liked the material, and it works well, so it makes sense to stick with it. The only possible downside I could see would be glare in bright sunlight. I did take a bit of time to make sure it would be a very unusual angle required to reflect into the pilot's vision. The passenger is, of course, on his/her own. :D

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Several
I got a bit more done today, but nothing picture-worthy. One thing worth mentioning, perhaps. I am using bicycle derailer cable and housing for my throttle. I am not providing a throttle for the rear seat. This makes my cable run longer than the longest derailer cable one can buy. My solution is to run two cables. One from the throttle quadrant and the other from the engine throttle body. I terminate the two cable housings about 2' apart with standard bulkhead-style housing connectors. This leaves the two un-housed ends traveling in free air, so connecting them with a splice is child's play. The splice moves back and forth in free air (below the keel) within the 2' un-housed area.

Now that I type it, perhaps it does deserve a picture. I'll see what I can do next trip to the airport.

Oh yes, why bicycle derailer cable? Stainless derailer cable is braided and has remarkable break-strength. It also can handle a greater numbers of stress/relief cycles than most twisted cables. It is also readily available.

I got a start today on my bendix/hydraulic pump-to-rotorhead mount. I should finish it this week while waiting for the push-pull cable for the rudder to arrive.

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Several
Then End Is Nigh!

Then End Is Nigh!

I finally am at the point where there is nothing more to order. I lack no more material, and there are only a few projects left to complete.

Look! There at the end of the tunnel. Is that the light finally? I think I'll walk into the light...the beautiful white light...

Attachments

• oncoming_train.jpg
    oncoming_train.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 0

hillberg

The light at the end of a tunnle-Its a Train!:suspicious: Told my wife that,Her reply? "Good we don't have to walk.":der:

billygyro

Parsons 2 (AirHog)
Aircraft
Parsons 2 Lycoming 0320 powerd
Total Flight Time
350 F/W -82/Gyro and counting
Jon the machi is looking even better than before, If she fly's as good as it looks,I know you will be happy!

Blades is ready to install on the gyronamo,new fuel lines are on. just need some good weather..call me when you see this,I have something to tell you.

Last edited:

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Several
Finally, Someone Got It Right

Finally, Someone Got It Right

I have always been a little peeved at the lack of non-TSO'd items for some simple parts/devices. One of my pet peeves is antennas. For years, I'd just go to Radio Shack, buy a stainless whip and cut it to length for the aircraft band. Total cost, about $25.00.

Most TSO'd wire whip antennas go for $60-$150.00. This is for a threaded piece of stainless rod with a couple of insulators. Granted, the TSO'd model has been rated and tested for airspeed upper limits and has technical data available for drag and such...but that's generally overkill for most Experimental Aircraft and all but the elite rotorcraft.

Aircraft Spruce now offers a choice. I've provided the links. The one pictured is going on the Bulldozer...$21.50 plus freight. Sorry, Radio Shack.

You'll note the first antenna listed is the pricey TSO'd model. The second listing is a reasonable price for a bent stick of stainless rod with an insulator.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/av/antenna_transceiver.html

You must be sure to check the SWR with your radio if you use one of these (requires a SWR meter)...or if you use any external antenna that doesn't have a built-in matching transformer or circuitry. Clearly, a stick of stainless has no such transformer or circuitry.

Attachments

• img_0776.jpg
    img_0776.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 0

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Several
Final Bulldozer Rebuild "Gadget Pictures"

Final Bulldozer Rebuild "Gadget Pictures"

OK, I think this will pretty much be the end of these rebuild pictures unless someone asks for something specific. Here are the last bits that may be of interest to some:

1. My hydraluic pre-rotator mount. It's Beefy!
2. My crossbar (from 1x2x1/8 rectangle tubing. These pictures don't really do justice.
3. Front and side panels.
4. Another look at the brakes and antenna installation.

Attachments

• IMG_0780.jpg
    IMG_0780.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0779.jpg
    IMG_0779.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 0

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Several
More of the Last Bits

More of the Last Bits

Here are a few more:

1. A front view of sorts.
2. A look at my steering see-saw and the front push-pull cable connection.
3. Another look at the see-saw with all the attach points. The see-saw rides on two flange bearing assemblies.
4. The rear push-pull cable connection.

I am very pleased with the feel and operation of this setup.

Attachments

• IMG_0781.jpg
    IMG_0781.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0782.jpg
    IMG_0782.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 0

jcarleto

Aluminum Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Several
And Finally...

And Finally...

This isn't a particularly special picture. It is just the last one I shot. It is the hydraulic reservoir for the pre-rotator. You may recognize the vessel as a stainless hiking water bottle.

Attachments

• IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 0