All Talk, No Action

EI-GYRO

21st Century Crankhandler
In my opinion... can be interpreted in more than one way.
It can be seen as 'In my (exalted) opinion...... or as 'in my opinion (and it is only my opinion)' .... etc.,

I think some people conclude that Vance is an 'opinionated' @hole.

I choose to believe otherwise.

That is just my opinion, of course.

giro5

Aircraft
prev- citabria,AA1b, fun racer
Total Flight Time
400 GA, 50 trike
Concerning the picture in post 2 - yeah maybe a stall if the engine quits or maybe just a really bad approach to landing???

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
OHHHh WOW ...Gerg has been DEEP into the liquid incivility sauce again! ....... I missed something ????? ....that triggered this ridiculous venom-rant!
Poor form & uncalled for! YES!
Thank you Vance ...for all your great contributions and achievements in our world of gyros .... not all here are "scratch-builders" ....but most have serious contributions to make to the community of rotor heads,/ gyro lovers!
Your friends applaud & appreciate all you do & contribute here!

Welder

It takes all kinds 2 make the world go around.
Vance always says the politically correct thing,
the smartest person on the forum don’t ya know, sad.
Butts in uninvited, and starts running his mouth. Kinda like a stiff shirt, stiff neck prick that got his ass beat a lot in school, lol.

thomasant

Aircraft
AR1, Aviomania Genesis Sport
Total Flight Time
3400+
I am proud to know Vance personally. I think he is a great CFI, a wonderful person, and a great asset to our gyro community. I have learned a lot from him.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
It takes all kinds 2 make the world go around.
Vance always says the politically correct thing,
the smartest person on the forum don’t ya know, sad.
Butts in uninvited, and starts running his mouth. Kinda like a stiff shirt, stiff neck prick that got his ass beat a lot in school, lol.
So you know him well then.

See you been on the Forum for a while ??

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Welder.....Totally wrong assessment of Vance. He is truly on my short list of heroes in my life.

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
300ish
Builders or not there is only one criteria of legitmity in the posts we make : a good poster is someone who flies (or who has flown) and speaks of his experience ... the only people that should be criticized for posting too much are the people speaking about flying gyros where they don't or where they have never flown regularly .

let's remember that we builders have very little legitimity (except the ones who invented new concepts like Ernie and chuck) because it is just a minor art ... it is just about putting a rotor at the top of 2 main tubes following plans or rules everybody knows ...

we are all using the same tubes, we are all hanging our gyros following old rules, and we all end up having our future gyros checked by people who have already built gyros ... and most of us are following plans

it takes commitment to build or to make good engine conversions , but this is not rocket science, we are not heros at all ... we did not invent anything

I have stopped posting about my attempt of making a gyro coz I don't like people who don't build to come and tell me that I am not competent to do so, but I am absolutely not considering me as having more legitimity to speak then people who don't build ...

we all risk our lives on gyros, we must try to do things right to survive ... that's it

Vance writes more then I can read, the only consequence is that I don't read any more what he writes because it would take me too many time to find out among his numerous posts what could be interesting to me ...

I prefer to read people posting less and speaking of what they build in their garage, but is is like cable television, nobody forces me to watch a channel, if I don't like a channel I am watching an other one that's is

this attack is unacceptable,

Last edited:

500e

Aircraft
500c\d\e 300C & CBi
Total Flight Time
a lot more now
As a non autogyro person rather a heli guy I come here to learn understand About Autogyros, not interested in politics Character assassination Etc.
The tone of the site seems to be much more confrontational & personal to me over the last year or two with less actual Technical content.

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
300ish
As a non autogyro person rather a heli guy I come here to learn understand About Autogyros, not interested in politics Character assassination Etc.
The tone of the site seems to be much more confrontational & personal to me over the last year or two with less actual Technical content.
heli guy's are just people who are following an error of evolution route : powering a rotor ! hahahahaha I am kidding of course ... when I see my mate flying his kompress in montelimar, I am jealous : he manages to loose 2 kilos at every flight (stress) ... he does not have to pay for weight watchers .. and he can drink a few pints without gaining weight ... where I must refrain from drinking not to see my belly growing like the one of a pregnant lady ...

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
In my opinion this forum (Builders Corner) would be better used for exchanging ideas on building gyroplanes and it is time to move on.

Personally I have learned from everyone who posts on the Rotary Wing Forum and have never wondered how qualified they were or if their opinions had merit.

When someone posts something that I feel is misleading or mistaken I feel I should offer a counterpoint so it doesn’t become “truth” because it is repeated unchallenged.

I want to thank my friends for their support and I understand my detractors.

Why I feel I have something to offer in builders corner.

I Purchased The Predator in 2008 (a one of a kind scratch designed and built gyroplane) with 197 hours on the tachometer.

Modified the trailer for her wider stance to get her back from Indiana.

Made changes that allowed me to take instruction in The Predator (different seating, dual controls and rotor brake).

Rewired the aircraft.

Installed a mode C transponder.

Replaced the RAF blades that were cracking on the trailing edge with Sport Rotors.

Installed a 160 horsepower Lycoming IO-320 B1A in place of the 135 horsepower Lycoming O-290.

Rebuilt the magnetos and the fuel injection system.

Raised the engine two inches to make her nearer centerline thrust and make room for a larger propeller.

Collaborated with Craig Kato to design and build a one of a kind hand carved three blade propeller.

Went from climbing out solo at 600 feet per minute to climbing out solo at 1,100 feet per minute.

Went from climbing out at maximum takeoff weight at 300 feet per minute to climbing out at mtw at 600 feet per minute.

Went through an airworthiness inspection from two FAA representatives from my local Flight Standards District office for a major change.

Flew a new phase one for a major change and wrote a pilot’s operating handbook for the Predator.

Designed and fabricated a rear panel for The Predator.

Designed and fabricated several removable windshields for the back seat.

Went to multifunction switches on the front and back cyclic to manage trim, push to talk on the intercom, push to talk on the radio and pre-rotation.

Added push to talk on the voice activated intercom to the rear cyclic to manage wind noise in the back seat.

With the help of friends recovered the empennage twice.

With Jake re-designed the rotor head to use spherical bearings for teeter bearings.

Redesigned and fabricated a new nose gear and front suspension for The Predator.

Redesigned and fabricated the main gear.

Maintained The Predator for 1,980 flight hours with the help of friends.

Assisted in eleven annual condition inspections and addressed the squawks.

Assisted in six 100 hour inspections and addressed the squawks.

Installed and tested ADSB in and out.

I have had to cancel only two instructional flights in five years of flight instruction due to maintenance issues.

A little of my background that I feel is relevant to designing and building gyroplanes.

For three years I was the Racing department for the west coast Moto Guzzi/Ducati distributor with lots of development work and dynamometer testing.

I owned an engineering job shop in San Carlos, California that was involved in short run high precision manufacture. I was involved in design, fabrication, destructive testing, quality assurance procedures and receiving procedures.

I was a designer at Indian Motorcycles in Gilroy in charge of 17 engineers and involved in bringing their engine to market, solving manufacturing challenges, destructive testing and designing two unique frames.

With friends I have designed and built several record setting motorcycles for Bonneville and several successful scratch built road racers.

None of this in any way indicates that my opinions are somehow more valid than any other poster; only that I have a back ground to participate in a discussion about building gyroplanes.

Personalities and politics are outside of my fields of interest.

Please let’s get back to gyroplanes on the Rotary Wing Forum.

Attachments

Last edited:

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
300ish
this predator adventure is really interesting for me, I don't mind you have designed it, built it or "only" modified it ...

what is your gyro behaviour on the yaw Axis, engine one and engine out (idle) Vance please ?

I am asking you this because my only concern about my projet is yaw stability, my bird fairing nose being a bit long like your's

Last edited:

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
The Predator has a very large (volume) tall vertical stabilizer that allows her to be flown coordinated without the use of pedals from full power to idle power.

I can tell from the oil on the vertical stabilizer that air is hitting it at the top on the right and at the bottom on the left. The prop in turning anticlockwise when viewed from the rear.

In my opinion the separate rudder is very effective at managing yaw for landing even at very low speeds.

With a cross wind component of ten knots from the left I may have a lot of right pedal in to keep her on the centerline at wide open throttle on the takeoff roll.

It seems to me there is less left pedal required when the wind is from the right.

I have not attempted to quantify the difference because at the Santa Maria Public airport a wind from the right has a lot of obstructions and tends to be very turbulent and wind from the left is relatively unobstructed and less turbulent.

In calm winds or winds straight down the runway there is very little if any pedal required under full power to keep her on the centerline for takeoff.

I often land The Predator with a six or seven knot tail wind and with a little power in the rudder is pretty effective down to about five knots of indicated air speed.

In a near vertical descent she has no tendency to spin although power off (engine stopped) she does not have good rudder authority in a near vertical descent.

Attachments

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
300ish
Ok Vance, very interesting thanks .
my tall tail is 508 mm in cord and 1600 mm high and has a 0012 naca profile
not as large as yours
I hope the presence of the profile will compensate for the difference in surface ... the final judge : flight tests will tell me if it is enough ...

Last edited: