AirGyro AG915 N4446S now has its airworthiness certificate, too.

John, very excited for you on this final leg of a long wait. I identify with your journey from when we first met. We are in some way similar. Long time fixed wing, minimal gyro time and hooked.

With a number of single seat types, both single seat, gyro, fixed wing, glider flown, I have gathered that the buck stops with you.

Taking baby steps given, and important.

You are fortunate because this gyro will allow you to take someone experienced along with you.

I am delighted that hopefully you will soon be airborne in this project of yours.
Fond, memories... Leigh "So what kit have you decided on?"
Me "The Sportcopter."
Leigh "But you loved the lightweight Genesis!"
Me "But no US Kit that I've heard of."
Leigh "Did you ask him? I'll bet he would make one."
Me "No"
And I did ask and Nicolas did create one and that is how Leigh helped me get a Genesis.

Then the witch doctors found cancer and no more flying for me. Until now.
You too had health issues that caused delays and now Corvid.
But we never give up and never surrender so we are both very close to flying time, my friend.

In my opinion it is unsafe to use full rudder deflection in any phase of gyroplane flight because it leaves no margin for changing conditions.
I agree, hitting the stops screams abort to an FW pilot. It is very disconcerting.
After the 3rd, test it was OK been there done full power in a Cavalon 915, and now you've learned the max climb rate and that you certainly do not need full power even on the hottest day in Chino.
If the condition had changed to where I could not hold my ground track I would have just reduced power to regain rudder and lowered the nose.
So, not really much of a concern as I may only need full power at 10K to get over a 50-foot obstacle?

OH YES ...I remember those long building, tweaking, refining days back in 2012 ...SO well ...then the small lesson blocks 2 weekends apart .... lots of ground-work ... then finally the time for CFI Desmon to come up to transition me to solo my single -seater ...September 2012!
Building "OZ'rora"
solo flight!
Dang, I remember your and Jim's struggles. I'll shut up now about this build wait and problems.
IIRC you had to have Jake make parts for you?
PS:
Putting it in others' perspective = yours and Jim Triggy B = makes me realize I've been a whining wimp about the time it takes. Bummer.

Last edited:
After I adjusted the rotor brake we made a list today of what needs to be finished.
Our list:
  1. Velcro double back tape to close the plastic cover we made for the Rotax Dongle DB9 connectors.
  2. 50 #6 screws with mylar nuts to replace then all in the cowling and interior.
  3. Where do we mount the cameras?

That's it.
Calling Henry to book his time tomorrow.
Most of the day I played taxiing and running up the blades and stopping them to break in the pad. It stopped better than it did but I'm not impressed with the rotor brake. Everything else does impress me about the ARGON 915 as far as fit and finish.
She certainly draws a crowd at the airport and all have been impressed by her roomyness.

Last edited:
PS:
Ron told me today he is ordering the Rotax Dongle so we will have it, as it may take a while.
I told him OK, but I won't sign up for the class allowing me to download the software until he is signed off = flying first!!!
He burst out laughing and agreed.

Then I get to take apart the Genesis and polish the chrome parts and put her back together with slightly larger screws for the last time.
I cannot wait to balance on the G1Sb mains until automatic and perfect. At El Mirage and then crow hops with Marion Springer on the radio was Mation's and my plan and my dream.
That was my first real dream a single place, CLT, out in the open, yank and bank = be the bird gyro.
Going to try and make that my Christmas present for myself.

Keep the crowds away from any spinning rotors!
Hi Dave. It's not that bad.
We push her out and then anyone around comes over.
Mostly the Cal Fire pilots and smoke jumpers that are based there and hangar neighbors when they see me taxi by find us.

I've only had Dave and Ron when I spin up the blades and they are spotters for anyone I do not see behind me.
I always wait until no one is around and have one person behind me to stop traffic and people.

To a FW pilot I'm overly concerned with wings I cannot see behind me. And on the ground spinning wings.
That is my weakest experience level rotor blade management on the ground.
It's like where are my blades, where are my blades until I'm in the air then it is about the same as flying anything else.
I'll get at least another hour or more practicing pre-rotation, braking, and rotor management, then more with Henry.
Going to try and let the rotor brake go while taxiing and then see how I move it back to the center without the Cavalon slow pre rotator.

I find Vance's posts very helpful on rotor management.
Any tips on how to re-center my blades while taxing would be greatly appreciated. I've not let go of the brake to even try yet. = Rookie!!!

Last edited:
In the Cavalon 915, I was training in, only used 60% throttle to take-off but had to use full right rudder with full power while climbing out. It is a little disconcerting hitting the stops.
I am left wondering if maybe that rudder needed some adjustment on the ground...

I use to be based at a private grass strip airport where it was pretty open to the public and lots of people and dogs walking around everywhere including driving and running across the runway. There were some dogs that recognized my plane and would always coming running towards me to say hello…

In the fixed wing I could see what was in front and side to warn people to stay away, but in the gyro I wasn’t able to see behind me. So I would start the gyro only when I was sure no one was behind and immediately taxi to safer place to do run up. Always made sure rotor blades were stopped before taxing to areas where people and dogs roamed more openly… This was always a concern of mine since people would get excited and walk towards the gyro without noticing the rotors still spinning since took a while for rotor brake to stop them.

I have also seen a gryo pilot come back to hanger forgetting something and getting out of the gyro before the rotors were fully stopped and was certain the rotor would hit him, but he was lucky to walk between them. Things happen when not part of your normal routine… Of course, don’t get out with engine running or until rotors have completely stopped. Also seen gyro pilot taxiing too close to hanger without rotor completely stopped, and this doesn’t end well for the gyro….

On the SuperCub forum, there was a pilot who got out of a running plane and upon getting out his foot hit the throttle and plane broke away from tie downs and crashed into multiple other planes tied down. Sad day for all those damaged aircraft. Not sure why anyone would leave an aircraft running without being at the controls. Doesn’t make sense to me…

Last edited:
In a helicopter...one has to really watch out for dogs. I was hovering at my cousins house one day and saw his dog running full tilt around the corner of his shed...coming right at me. Of course I wasn't concerned about my main rotor hitting him...but the tail rotor could. I went to a high hover and with the suns shadow on the snow....I could see the dog leaping up and down at my tail rotor.....

I was out of his range, but he sure as the world would have turned into a red mist had I not went higher!

I am left wondering if maybe that rudder needed some adjustment on the ground...
The best fix for torque roll that I've seen, first on Carl Snider's ride, and then Aviomania's entire line.
It completely removes it, if design for a specific engine and frame/gyro.

There solution is to attach the right/starboard HS an inch or so lower than the HS on the left/port side.
This creates dissimilar lift.

Last edited:
Hi Dave
Thanks for sharing and transferring to me bits of experience I've not had yet.

Last edited:
In a helicopter...one has to really watch out for dogs. I was hovering at my cousins house one day and saw his dog running full tilt around the corner of his shed...coming right at me. Of course I wasn't concerned about my main rotor hitting him...but the tail rotor could. I went to a high hover and with the suns shadow on the snow....I could see the dog leaping up and down at my tail rotor.....

I was out of his range, but he sure as the world would have turned into a red mist had I not went higher!
I remember you sharing that flight almost as well as the neighbor/couple wrestling in the back of their pickup truck.
One of those flights I remember because it scared the heck out of me.

It could be the thought of perhaps being caught in the back of a pickup truck with a beautiful lady?

I'll let you figure out which one scared me.:oops:

Surprise the dog would want to jump up to the helicopter, and not afraid of it. However, the dogs knew I was in my gyro and would always come running when I flew back to the hanger too.

Well, the manufacture's Rep finally showed up yesterday.
He was trapped out of the country during the Covid restrictions, not sure why NO answers to emails and phone calls until she was built.
I will take responsibility for the last 8 months. Running PRA's main benefit to me is I know personally, or of, just about everyone in the industry, most are my true friends. I stopped calling and emailing Alvaro and reach out to knowable friends so he wasn't needed anymore.
But water under the bridge... We got her built with my friends Raul and Craig's advice.

Raul would have had her flying but we could not find an A&P with a Rotax dongle until after he went home.

Alvaro, Cappy, only added 3 zip ties with 1/4 tubing spacers on tubing on 3 points and added 2 more to each main gear to hold the brake line from flapping in the wind.
He said we did a perfect job other than those items.

We, Cappy, and I flew her for the first time yesterday. Yahoo!!! He only weighs 150 and needs ballast. I was the ballast.

I will post the videos after Thanksgiving. In the hope that my written description does not illicit replies that it is so dangerous, we should all quit flying gyros.

Also, I finally understand the two companies selling the same body for Poland.
Our is not an ARGON 915 and we removed the labeling yesterday.

It is an AG915-Centurian distributed by AirGyro a US company based out of Utah.
We got no support from them while Alvaro was out of the country but he is making up for it now with excellent service = all for free.

He will be checking out Henry Bolder, Ron's, Dave's, and my CFI, today. I'm going to S.D. Zoo with my eldest daughter and my great-granddaughter today so no video from me. I will ask Ron and Dave to pick up the mission for us.

I'll be flying with Henry until I have my sport gyro add-on.

Last edited:
PS:
We still have two squawks. The Rotor RPM gage has no ground = open circuit so it does not work and the fuel pressure is reporting incorrectly that one is the programming parameter we have incorrectly input = I hope and expect is the problem.
He is sending us a new RRPM sensor, navigation lights, and the 'T' trim gauge that show where they are positioned and DONE for real.

Cappy mitigated the no RRPM gauge by just taking off with a much slower and longer run and letting the blades spin up much longer even balancing on the mains for a longer period of time than normal before adding more power to take off.

PSS:
The EAB program does work if you really build them yourself. I've learned more than I ever expected that is the silver lining.
With the finished AG915 as an example, to follow her tubing and wiring, we could build the next one in a real two or three weeks!

Update, while I was at the S.D. Zoo with daughter and great-granddaughter factory rep was busy.
He did the powerplant testing that is required prior to the initial flight:
• Mixture and Idle Speed Check,
• Magneto Check,
• Cold Cylinder Check,
• Carburetor Heat Check,
• Fuel Flow Check,
• Unusable Fuel Check, and
• Compression Check
In the last 2 days, he's flown off the 1st 8 hours of the Aircraft Initial Tests (AIT) which include.
  1. Initial ground runs
  2. Taxi testing
  3. First flight (Vance emailed me explaining I cannot even be the ballast) I wasn't acting as a qualified Observer Pilot (OP) just ballast. But I will not do that again as it must be flown solo or with a qualified pilot observer. I do not have my gyro add-on, been building not flying is the problem until now = back to flying with Henry.
  4. Gear and (Flaps)
  5. Verify pito-static/system (this was the 2nd test as we had it certified by an avionic shop a couple of months ago)
  6. Stalls do not apply to gyros. He did vertical descents.
As Alvaro and Henry are not owners of any percentage of the gyro we have to make logbook entries in the air-frame logbook naming them as Qualified Pilots for the portion they test her, as Ron, the owner, is not qualified) and the AIT is complete.
Next B.P. Maneuvers for 8 hours...

The 1st 16 hours must be flown by a pilot who has at least 500 hours in TYPE.
Once the 16 hours are completed an OP can fly the remaining hours off.

If this is not correct Vance please correct it here not by email.
He sent me this link which was very helpful https://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac_90-116.pdf
Vance is going to start a thread that will explain much better. Thank you for the help, Vance. U-ROCK!

Last edited:
The 1st 16 hours must be flown by a pilot who has at least 500 hours in TYPE.
Once the 16 hours are completed an OP can fly the remaining hours off.
This 16-hour requirement sounds a bit suspect. How does "type" apply here?

Type ratings required. A person who acts as a pilot in command of any of the following aircraft must hold a type rating for that aircraft:
(1) Large aircraft (except lighter-than-air).
(2) Turbojet-powered airplanes.
(3) Other aircraft specified by the Administrator through aircraft type certificate procedures.