AirGyro AG915 N4446S now has its airworthiness certificate, too.

Student certificates have numbers, too, and are non-expiring plastic these days (also easy to get with IACRA).
Not only do these not expire, the number you are given as a Student will be the same one used for your higher certificates.

Raul is coming on the 26th!!! Yeah... let the flying fun begin!!!
Adventure Air = Henry will be flying down on the 27th or 28th.

When we tested the pre-rotator it worked once.
Then the gears clashed and stop trying after 3 attempts of light clashing... not engaging.
Dave took the head apart and put it back together and now it's working every time.
Must have been slightly miss-aligned.
Took the rotor-blades off to trailer her to the airport we will test-fly her out of. No Hangers at Brown so off to ask at Romana.

I will post pictures and videos by the end of this month and share our adventures.

We found an outside parking space. No hangars!
No code to gate but didn't stop us from getting in.
20211019_144921.jpg

This is our new home.
20211019_145425.jpg

Parking outside has me designing a dual-purpose gyro hangar & space for humans to camp under.
Tent her from Rotorblade tip to tip and draped over the cockpit.
Hold the two ends of the blades up with tent polls and hold the tent apart at both ends and over the cockpit with the same tent polls I use in my two-man tent.
Carry the polls in the two tail booms which have open access to inspect them and put the tent in a stuff bag.
Ron's wife can sew so we will see with a test using a canvas and my current take-a-part tent polls.
Piper Cub's and other FW have tents like this that go over the wings about the same.

Last edited:
The mad dash is on... to trailer the ARGON up to Romana Airport on the 25th if not raining else the 26th.
Raul arrives in the morning on the 26th.
The good news is even the little details are done and she is ready as of today!!!

Oops... not done.
Tomorrow will swing the compass and create the compass card.

But my trailer is not.
Have to extend the width by four inches for the ARGON to fit.
That is tomorrow's project.

Looking forward to hearing your flying comments 👍

That reminded me to charge up the video camera, thanks, Greg.

The work is almost done...
The FUN has just begun!!

It rained as forecasted.
Clear skies for the rest of the week.
She is in the hangar tied down to the trailer. Check.
The blade hoist is done. Check.
Tow her up in the morning before Raul arrives at 10:30.
By the time Raul and Ron drive to Ramona, we should have the blades mounted.
Then the real final inspection and test-fly her.
When, if, all goes well followed by flying the 40 hours off.

Last edited:
Don’t get distracted using a video camera during first few hours of flying it. Seen this happen before with bad outcome.

Don’t get distracted using a video camera during first few hours of flying it. Seen this happen before with bad outcome.
You're so right about that. But I will be on the ground videoing the test flight.
If they will let me out near the runway, as I can at Gillespie KSEE.

Last edited:
Well, the trailer worked well. Raul got to Romana by about 1:00 PM so only part of a day.
The electric boom hoist worked like a charm. One man could make a lift by themselves (if they have no friends?) because the keychain remote allows you to stand within 100 feet = Sweet, and lazy works for me. But we had four to help.
The boom put no marks or deformity at all on Dave's truck bed and Tom made a mount to weld on the trailer the same size as the trucks. Next time we can use it when the truck has a camper shell, we do not want to take off.
IMG_1213.jpg

IMG_1216(1).jpg

Raul is inspecting every part of her.
He already found the throttle cable not making full open and the A&P wired both Lanes (Mags) to the same light,
When you do not have a factory assist available.
Hiring a factory rep who has built several and trains students in them is the only way to mitigate gyros not being built at the factory, like certified aircraft.
Ron asked me months ago. Why do we need to pay someone other than a DAR to inspect it?
I'm not a builder and our DAR has never built or even inspected one. His inspection was if the paperwork is right and is everything attached and does it start.

Ron now understands the difference and is so thankful I got Raul to fly out here!!!!!
I suspect Raul will take at least most of the day tomorrow.

Last edited:
Scaffolding is a great idea. Where did you get that one? Nice simple lift for the rotor too.

Scaffolding is a great idea. Where did you get that one? Nice simple lift for the rotor too.
IIRC Harbor Freight. It comes apart in 15min's with pins that unclip and lays flat in the back of the truck.
We also have sawhorses that folds flat.

We are so lazy!!
The hoist was about 110 bucks we needed it now for Ron's one time on a trailer trip, but I bought it for the club and anyone to use at the fly-in's we go to from now on.
We rush this and left it one piece. Going to change it to telescoping so it will fit in the back of the truck.

We are so lazy... we also have a folding gas can dolly, with an electric pump like a mini gas station.

I fear you are going to fall so in love with this gyro … they really are a blast to fly …not the fastest in a straight line, in the right hands they are a machine, cabin comfort levels no other offer with the best visibility …. Fly her within her design envelope and once you have a few hundred hours on type then throw her around like a expensive hotel hooker, this IMO is a gyro that just rewards ….looking forward to your comments 👍👍👍👍

Yaw Mon... That's my plan. Fly her like she is underage, well within the flight envelope with state-to-state trips, gaining experience.
Throwing her around like an expensive hotel hooker I expect to take hundreds of hours building up to that?
Unless I'm with an instructor for that purpose.

Now besides falling in love with her that's more Anticipation your building = You're killing me. So close but another night away.

Last edited:
Dang, it took another day to adjust everything (Like RRPM gap from registration bolt), and the Lane A & B wires were incorrectly wired from AirGyro. This took most of the day to figure out.
This is the first taxi with everything working, (Except the need to purge the air from the cooling system)
I could not flip Dave as far as he flipped me do he got to go first with Raul. What an expert!!!

PS:
Actually, none of us had a coin to flip. So I flipped my car remote.

But Dave did suggest we flip each other.

After I lost I wished I had flipped a Debit or Credit card as a symbol of much of society not having coins anymore.

Last edited:
Way to go John!! I am reliving my own past gyro/helicopter experiences vicariously through you.

Keep typing your joy.

Many congrats, I know how long the journey has been.

Unfortunately John it seems it was very handy to push down on the tail-boom to manoeuvre the gyro out of the hander and this had produced a crack.

On our original hornet I made the pitot tube out of very thick tubing for that very purpose. Worked brilliantly.

Actually, none of us had a coin to flip. So I flipped my car remote.

But Dave did suggest we flip each other.

After I lost I wished I had flipped a Debit or Credit card as a symbol of much of society not having coins anymore.
Flip a bitcoin ?