Airfoil Göttingen 606

Jean Claude

Aircraft
I piloted gliders C800, Bijave, C 310, airplanes Piper J3 , PA 28, Jodel D117, DR 220, Cessna 150, C
Total Flight Time
About 500 h (FW + ultra light)
Can someone give me the coordinates of Göttingen 606 airfoil (Kellett KD1) or curved lift / drag. Thank you.
Jean Claude

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
I have searched but never found ordinates for Gö-606.

Here is a photo of Kellett KD-1 rotor blade under construction:

Attachments

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
From Cierva Autogiros by Peter W. Brooks:

“Although the Gö 606 airfoil improved performance, its marked camber unfortunately procuced large periodic pitching moments on the blades as they rotated. Blades of this section therefore feathered and unfeathered elastically during each rotation in response to the dissymmetric loads in forward flight. As forward speed increased, the blades twisted more and more, instead of flapping. This had the effect of reducing the backward tilt of the rotor and of making the aircraft increasingly nose-heavy. As we shall see, this phenomenon could lead to loss of control at high speeds.”

“....The first fatal accident to an Autogiro in Britain, referred to earlier, occurred to a Rota of No. 2 Squadron at Old Sarum on January 21, 1935. The pilor, Flying Officer L.W. Oliver, was killed when he lost control of his aircraft while flying in cloud and got into a high speed dive from which he was unable to recover before he hit the ground.”

Jean Claude

Aircraft
I piloted gliders C800, Bijave, C 310, airplanes Piper J3 , PA 28, Jodel D117, DR 220, Cessna 150, C
Total Flight Time
About 500 h (FW + ultra light)
Thak you Chuck and Ed
My question concerned the NACA Technical Note 741, where it says:"The angle of attack chosen for the stall, 19,7° measured from the zero lift line was based on variable density-tunnel tests of a section obtained by fairing ordinates measured on the blades of the Kellet YG-1..."
I wondered how he could give a stall angle as high and as accurate?

kolibri282

Research & Memoranda 1727 had been discussed at great length back in 2013 when I had first posted it to the Technical Papers, Books and Publications section. It seems unfortunately that the whole thread has been lost when the forum transitioned to the new software, since the link in "The quest for the Goettingen 606 Airfoil"

https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/the-quest-for-the-goettingen-606-profile.37237/

from January 13th 2013 points somewhere out in the blue and a search for e.g. the javafoil calculations that Jean-Claude had posted back then can no longer be found via an image search. Quite sad.Goe606_polar_JC.png

Fortunately the stuff is still there, one has to search a bit differently and finds this thread dated 11th Januray 2013:

https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/the-effect-of-blade-twist-on-the-characteristics-of-the-c-30-autogiro.37236/

Last edited:

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!