Air worthiness certificate issues on newly built gyro.

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
In another thread Danny wrote: "I have a question about airworthiness for a gyroplane. Can a builder of a two seat Dominator get a airworthiness certificate? He did not take any photos or keep a log of the build process because at time he thought the aircraft is an open frame and the only part that covered is the stabilizer and rudder which was purchase from Erie. "

It depends on your DAR (designated airworthiness representative).

Some want lots of documentation and some not so much.

More documentation is almost always a plus.

In another thread Danny wrote: "I have a question about airworthiness for a gyroplane. Can a builder of a two seat Dominator get a airworthiness certificate? He did not take any photos or keep a log of the build process because at time he thought the aircraft is an open frame and the only part that covered is the stabilizer and rudder which was purchase from Erie. "

The way the FAA Affadvit Of Ownership (8050-88) and Application for Airworthiness (8130-6) checkboxes are constructed, there's several ways it can be completed. Because of that, there's no simple answer to your question. As Vance says, the DAR is driving the bus. The big questions the DAR will use to decide how he wants you to do it are... 1) Was it a complete kit? 2) Was it built from a bunch of parts you rounded-up from different sources? 2) If it was a complete kit, was it simply an ASSEMBLY process or did you have to fabricate stuff? By far, the most important question would be, did the builder do at least 51% of the tasks required to get from beginning to end and was it done for recreation and education?

When I assembled my Mini-500, It was a brand new kit but the engine was a 250 Hr. 582 that was on a plane and flying, and the kit's tailboom was missing. Because of these things, my DAR required me to check the box that indicated "More than 50% of the above described aircraft was built from from Miscellaneous Parts and I am the owner" on the 8050-88." Keep in mind, the sole purpose of the build log and your stack of photos is to prove to the DAR that you did more than 50% of the build. I had ZERO pictures and no build log. To prove I did 50% plus, I used the FAA checklist for 51% calculation for Helicopters. It doesn't have a "Form Number" it's here. One for helicopter too. https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/ultralights/amateur_built/kits/media/AmBuiltFabAssyCklistFW.pdf