Air Taxis Where the Future Takes Flight Skyworks Global

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Is the future of urban transportation really to be carrying only one passenger at a time, with ATC radio clearances for every take-off?

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
If you're in a major metro area with a Class B airport with a 30-mile Mode C veil, you'll be contacting clearance for every takeoff no matter what you fly. But it does seem odd that a commuter-class aircraft would be designed with just one seat. Even helicopters which usually fly only one passenger in today's setting have four or more seats.

eutrophicated1

Designated Acronym-Nazi
That's the great thing about America; even though most cars can carry 4-6 people, most of them only have 1 person in them... ;) Maybe there ought to be a law that all cars have to carry 3 or more people. But then, where would we put all our stuff?

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
Maybe there ought to be a law that all cars have to carry 3 or more people.
Great. Now all I have to do is find two reliable hitchhikers to go to and from work with me everyday.

The US has a tariff law right now which suppresses the availability of compact pickup trucks. How 'bout we open that up and let me buy a small standard-cab pickup that seats two?

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
If you're in a major metro area with a Class B airport with a 30-mile Mode C veil, you'll be contacting clearance for every takeoff no matter what you fly. But it does seem odd that a commuter-class aircraft would be designed with just one seat. Even helicopters which usually fly only one passenger in today's setting have four or more seats.
Since there was a recording playing of a voice-delivered radio clearance, I assumed one human pilot (to request and respond to the clearance) and one passenger. If it were expected to be autonomous, with 2 pax and no live pilot, I would expect a data-link clearance code to be delivered to the onboard computer and no audible radio chatter.

I also expect the cost per mile to be outrageous, and this whole proposed business to go the way of roof-top helipads in NYC.

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
I still have my Mitsubishi Mighty Max. They where affordable back in 1987. 230,000 miles and still going.
In 1992, when I lived in Florida, I bought a new Isuzu Q16 pickup for $8300 with air conditioning. I drove it 11 years and 175k miles. Did the brakes twice and the clutch once. Wish I'd made the investment to fix a few minor issues and kept it. It's still my favorite vehicle of all I've owned.

loftus

Aircraft
Aircam
Total Flight Time
500 hours
Probably the next big step is low level autonomous electric quadcopter 4-6 passenger designs for urban commuting. We're pretty close to being there in terms of the technology already. The FAA is already gearing up for autonomous drone deliveries. ADS-B makes it all workable.