Air Speed Indicator

cloudhopper

Does anyone know where to get the speed indicator for the Bensen. It is plastic with a hole at the bottom and a ball that rises according to the speed that the air is entering the hole. What are you guys using for speed indicator?

I have a bicycle propellor type speed indicator

Actually, the Bensen gyro kit came with a Dwyer "flat". Air Speed Indicator and it has a bracket in the Bensen kit, that it fits. The Hall "round" ASI is more common these days.

Dwyer sells factory direct http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Ai...tableWindMeter

I have a brand new, in the bag Dwyer from a Bensen kit... somewhere in my 45 yr collection of gyro parts. I'll take a quick look if I can.

The Dwyer wind meters with white pith ball were always stuck, at least here in Florida with its humidity. The Hall wind meter with red plastic disc works much better.

A propeller type ASI can be quite accurate if the propeller is properly designed but it indicates true airspeed rather than density based airspeed; a propeller is a screw, turning the same number of revolutions/mile whether in air, water or soft snow.

Flying machines don’t care about true airspeed; they perform in accordance with density airspeed.

Oops! I should have said a propeller is a nut rather than a screw.

Last edited:
Jeff Thanks for the Aircraft Spruce info. I like that wind meter better than the original. It is much easier to read. That site has some good stuff.