Air Speed Indicator

cloudhopper

Does anyone know where to get the speed indicator for the Bensen. It is plastic with a hole at the bottom and a ball that rises according to the speed that the air is entering the hole. What are you guys using for speed indicator?

FRANK'S

Super Supporter
Aircraft
1975 Bensen B8-M A65 Continental
Total Flight Time
I have a bicycle propellor type speed indicator

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(1) Air Command, (1) Barnett, (1) Air Command 2 place kit, (1) Sycamore gyro
Total Flight Time
Actually, the Bensen gyro kit came with a Dwyer "flat". Air Speed Indicator and it has a bracket in the Bensen kit, that it fits. The Hall "round" ASI is more common these days.

Dwyer sells factory direct http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Ai...tableWindMeter

I have a brand new, in the bag Dwyer from a Bensen kit... somewhere in my 45 yr collection of gyro parts. I'll take a quick look if I can.

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
The Dwyer wind meters with white pith ball were always stuck, at least here in Florida with its humidity. The Hall wind meter with red plastic disc works much better.

A propeller type ASI can be quite accurate if the propeller is properly designed but it indicates true airspeed rather than density based airspeed; a propeller is a screw, turning the same number of revolutions/mile whether in air, water or soft snow.

Flying machines don’t care about true airspeed; they perform in accordance with density airspeed.

Oops! I should have said a propeller is a nut rather than a screw.

Last edited:

cloudhopper

Jeff Thanks for the Aircraft Spruce info. I like that wind meter better than the original. It is much easier to read. That site has some good stuff.