Air Command Question

SideKick

Aircraft
Air Command 447
Total Flight Time
11.5hrs dual in a RAF
I am looking into the Air Command 447 that Will has for sale being new I don't know anything about this gyro. Can anyone tell me if it is a good machine. He wants $7000. with trailer. No instruments. I have seen pictures of it. It looks to be in great shape. Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

If it's a low rider Air Command I'd recommend you do the CLT upgrade to it. I think Air Command wants $1500-$2000 for the kit to do that. Keep that extra cost in mind when you're trying to figure out how much you want to spend on a gyro. Then add another $1500-$2000 for lessons. Does that gyro also have the pod enclosure on it?

Here is a picture of the Gyro, the owner says it has a drop keel.

Attachments

• Air Command.jpg
    Air Command.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
Paul

That isn't a drop keel. You can make it one by raising the seat tank about 6 inches and replacing the cluster plates too. This can be done in a week end and won't cost you 1500 dollars. Need more info on the engine ie when was the last time it was started and flown?

Thom,
It's a little more involved than just raising the seat 6 inches. The way the seat supports and front keel and axle support tubes all tie together makes it a little more complicated. Most people also flip the engine right side up. It also may need a taller mast. It's hard to tell from the photo if that gyro has the extended keel that's recommended for the tail.

Last edited:
That gyro looks old.... it would most likely need a engine teardown and all new gaskets and crankcase seals installed.

It may need several various updates on the airframe itself, one being the Center Line thrust upgrade, which is a semi expensive undetaking

that has a old " ultraprop " prop on it. Piece of junk.... That should probably be replaced with something newer, safer, and more efficient.

And lastly the guy LIED to you when he said it was already a drop keel.... That is a bone stock, " Classic " , lowrider aircommand.

I wouldn't give more than 3-4 grand for it, assuming it has a good set of rotorblades.

Depending on what the trailer looks like, maybe another 500$ or so for it too. More if the trailer is special, such as enclosed or very nice.

Your going to spend about 600-1000$ on the engine to get it tore down, inspected, and put back together with the new seals and gaskets.... Another 2500$ or more on airframe mods, plus your time..... 500$ on a new prop..... Probably another 500$ on some basic instruments..... and then you have a gyro that is safe and airworthy.

Last edited:
7000 I guess he does, 3000 and not a penny more, man that thing is old. I bet he want fly it either.

Tim is right. There is a little more involved in making this puppy CLT than just raising the seat.
The AC CLT kit extends the HS back a bit further, reverses the main gear 'triangle', raises he motor mounts and flips the engine right side up, extends the front gear, and of course - raises the entire assembly forward of the mast up.
The kit includes several new tubes and mounting plates.

Sidekick, you have somthing to work with provided the rotorblades are in good shape. but I would not give a dime over 3k. here are some pics of the one I have with my own mods and the other pics are what it look like when I bought it.

I spent less than $200 to do the upgrades for the CLT. but I did have a lot of time in it because I had to figure everything out.

You can buy the upgrades from AC and it should all fit together but I dont like the way the CLT kit looks (kind of like a cheezy bolt-on after thought)

If the guy is willing to come down on the price and you want to do somthing simuliar to what I have I'll try to help as much as possible.

Cheers Paul

Attachments

• S8001096.JPG
    S8001096.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 0
  • S8001100.JPG
    S8001100.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN5110.JPG
    DSCN5110.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN5112.JPG
    DSCN5112.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks Paul

You understood what I was saying. Yes it does take some shadetree engineering. Nice looking AC. By the way I would invite anyone to come and see the non AAI mod I did on my RAF. Yes it is very involved alot more that one would think at first.. Gyronut you and Paul would know better than I would. With a little work and a cheaper priced gyro this person can have his dream machine. Paul I like what you did to your rotors. Was it difficult keeping them balanced after the strips?

Sidekick If you buy this gyro please get to someone that knows the open style gyro to help you with it. How close are you to the PRA chapter in Mo. They will welcome you and show you what is needed on your gyro. Get training. Learn as much as you can before you buy.

Last edited:
Thom, the balance is still dead on. I made sure that I spaced the strips even on both rotors and I gave them 3 coats of paint each. I then lightly wet sanded the entire rotor system and buffed it out with wax.

Sidekick,
If you can get Sport Pilot cert lessons for anywhere near $2,000 I would be suprised. But, you may not need sport pilot if you keep the total dry weight down to 253 lbs as a pure ultralight. That might be possible w/o a prerotater and pod. A lot of people like the updated A/C's you can see what a great job Gyro man did on his machine. Good luck and happy building.

CLT Mod

CLT Mod

Being new I am not familiar with AC. I would like to know how to contact them about the CLT upgrade for this Gyro.

Contact Ac

Contact Ac

I have an AC Tandem Elite. I speak with them frequently. Doug Smith is 'the man'. You can call them at: (903) 527-3335.

You can also see limited amounts of info at their (partial) website:

http://www.aircommand.com/

Good luck.

Five

Sidekick, How much do you weigh. And how much does the gyro weigh?

With a 447 you might not be able to get out of ground effect. And the performance on a hot day will be rather poor.

Hello Sidekick.

Converting it to CLT will improve its performance and stability.

CLT 447 is nice little gyro and fun to fly.
Check out Tim Chicks videos. See how it flys. Very nice.

Like Chuck asked.....How much do you weigh? The older 447 should be around
250 lbs range with small pod etc.

Best wishes.
Rehan

That machine you are looking at has more than mine did when I started. I had the short keep and no stabs. Mine was a 1985 model and has about 80% new parts on it now. It's a great flyer and I just love it... Once I did the CLT conversion, I raised the rotor system up 3 inches to give it a bit more prop clearance.

I wouldn't pay $7000 for it.. My guess is it's worth $3000 to $3500. Does it have rotor blades? If so, what kind?

In answer to the questions, it has dragon wing blades and my weight is 190lbs.

Sidekick, you have somthing to work with provided the rotorblades are in good shape. but I would not give a dime over 3k. here are some pics of the one I have with my own mods and the other pics are what it look like when I bought it.

I spent less than $200 to do the upgrades for the CLT. but I did have a lot of time in it because I had to figure everything out.

You can buy the upgrades from AC and it should all fit together but I dont like the way the CLT kit looks (kind of like a cheezy bolt-on after thought)

If the guy is willing to come down on the price and you want to do somthing simuliar to what I have I'll try to help as much as possible.

Cheers Paul
Paul;
I like what you have done with your AC and I was wondering if the pod would fit back on it ? And, do you sale or give out the plans of your mod's ?
Lew