Air Command 447 flight test problem

dwood2066

Newbie
Joined
Aug 4, 2018
Messages
11
Location
Pampa, Texas
I recently restored an Air Command 447. The engine is an overhauled Rotax 447 with a 4 blade Ultraprop, I used McCutchen 25ft blades. The first flight resulted in the copter only rising about ten feet in the air at max power and could not rise any higher. So my questions are - Is this a horsepower problem? Or a prop thrust problem? Or a too heavy or too long blade problem? Any input out there will be a great help!
 

Cresco750

Newbie
Joined
Jan 14, 2012
Messages
35
Location
NZ
Aircraft
McCulloch J2
Total Flight Time
Fixed wing: too many. Rotary wing: not enough.
My experience with fixed wing ultralights many years ago found that Ultraprop’s did not produce nearly as much thrust as an equivalent Ivoprop, Warpdrive, or any other prop that we we tried.
 

jany77

Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2008
Messages
523
Location
central california
Aircraft
cessna 150,172,182,trikes,ul
Total Flight Time
over 300
There have been probably hundreds of air command flying with 447 rotax and same prop with no issues ,I think the problem might be somewhere else specially if it flew like that before ,it would help if you can give us more data such as field elevation ,temperature the day you flew ,empty weight of the machine ,your weight etc .
 

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Joined
Feb 24, 2014
Messages
560
Location
Houston
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
88
I thought the 447 Commander originally had a 23' rotor. Would the added weight of a 25' rotor do this? My 25' Skywheels weigh 69 lbs.
 

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2003
Messages
2,546
Location
NC
Aircraft
Cavalon,Snobird+, Ryan PT 22,Eagle 150B, Titan T51, Thatcher CX4, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
How heavy pilot ?
How heavy machine?
what Static RPM is prop set to?
What altitude you flying from?
Training?
Need more info
 

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Joined
Oct 21, 2006
Messages
4,352
Location
Colorado front range
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Another question to add to the list:
What airspeed did you have at that 10ft max altitude?
(One can pop up and fly in ground effect at very low speed but be also too slow to climb out of ground effect.)
 

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Joined
Oct 21, 2006
Messages
4,352
Location
Colorado front range
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
AirCommandPilot;n1136363 said:
I thought the 447 Commander originally had a 23' rotor. Would the added weight of a 25' rotor do this? My 25' Skywheels weigh 69 lbs.
Your Skywheels are less than three pounds per foot of span with the numbers you report. I would expect that the weight difference can't be much from adding an extra 2 feet of blade (perhaps 5 pounds net). There will be other rpm and handling differences with rotor diameter, but the weight change alone isn't much of a factor, and if flight capability is so marginal that plus or minus a couple pounds means climb or no climb, other things need to be addressed. A gallon of gas in the tank is about that much, or a week on Weight Watchers for the pilot.
 

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
15,669
Location
Nipomo,California
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
I recommend you get some dual flight instruction before you fly again.
 

Joe Pires

star hoarder
Joined
Jan 16, 2006
Messages
2,831
Location
Geneva FL FD92
Aircraft
Aviomania GS2.
Total Flight Time
450 ish solo gyro and 80 ish two place
dwood2066;n1136340 said:
I recently restored an Air Command 447. The engine is an overhauled Rotax 447 with a 4 blade Ultraprop, I used McCutchen 25ft blades. The first flight resulted in the copter only rising about ten feet in the air at max power and could not rise any higher. So my questions are - Is this a horsepower problem? Or a prop thrust problem? Or a too heavy or too long blade problem? Any input out there will be a great help!
Hi, seems this is your first post...welcome to the forum. What experience, ratings, training, do you have in gyroplanes? Your problem may not be your equipment so if we can eliminate factors of your knowlege/experience it might make it easier to zero in on the issue.
 

dwood2066

Newbie
Joined
Aug 4, 2018
Messages
11
Location
Pampa, Texas
WaspAir;n1136374 said:
Another question to add to the list:
What airspeed did you have at that 10ft max altitude?
(One can pop up and fly in ground effect at very low speed but be also too slow to climb out of ground effect.)
Max speed was 30mph, at 6700rpm. Engine was maxed out.
 

dwood2066

Newbie
Joined
Aug 4, 2018
Messages
11
Location
Pampa, Texas
Cresco750;n1136342 said:
My experience with fixed wing ultralights many years ago found that Ultraprop’s did not produce nearly as much thrust as an equivalent Ivoprop, Warpdrive, or any other prop that we we tried.
I am going to try a 2 blade at 60in and see what happens.
 

dwood2066

Newbie
Joined
Aug 4, 2018
Messages
11
Location
Pampa, Texas
WaspAir;n1136375 said:
Your Skywheels are less than three pounds per foot of span with the numbers you report. I would expect that the weight difference can't be much from adding an extra 2 feet of blade (perhaps 5 pounds net). There will be other rpm and handling differences with rotor diameter, but the weight change alone isn't much of a factor, and if flight capability is so marginal that plus or minus a couple pounds means climb or no climb, other things need to be addressed. A gallon of gas in the tank is about that much, or a week on Weight Watchers for the pilot.
I am only 170lbs, it seems like it would should handle that much.
 

dwood2066

Newbie
Joined
Aug 4, 2018
Messages
11
Location
Pampa, Texas
AirCommandPilot;n1136363 said:
I thought the 447 Commander originally had a 23' rotor. Would the added weight of a 25' rotor do this? My 25' Skywheels weigh 69 lbs.
An extra 2ft on the blades can add that much more weight can it? Not enough to keep from lifting higher that 10 feet?
 

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
15,669
Location
Nipomo,California
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
In my opinion you didn't get higher than ten feet because you don't understand how to fly a gyroplane.

Please get some instruction before you hurt yourself.
 

Tyger

Active Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2017
Messages
278
Location
Germantown, NY
Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
225
dwood2066;n1136563 said:
Max speed was 30mph, at 6700rpm. Engine was maxed out.
I don't think it's your equipment. It sounds to me like you were flying way behind your power curve. Not too many gyros are going to be doing much climbing at just 30mph even at max power setting.
 

Uncle Willie

Member
Joined
Sep 17, 2015
Messages
287
Location
North Ridgeville, Ohio, USA
Aircraft
AutoGyro Calidus.
Total Flight Time
300
Tyger;n1136597 said:
I don't think it's your equipment. It sounds to me like you were flying way behind your power curve. Not too many gyros are going to be doing much climbing at just 30mph even at max power setting.
Derrek,
What is your V[SUB]Y [/SUB]?
If you do have not already have this number memorized, Please follow Vance's recommendation.


Vance;n1136584 said:
In my opinion you didn't get higher than ten feet because you don't understand how to fly a gyroplane.

Please get some instruction before you hurt yourself.
We are not trying to Beat You UP, we are trying to save you, Buddy!
 

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2004
Messages
6,312
A 447 A.C. won't climb at 30 mph. 40 or above. I weigh the same as you and put hundreds of hours on mine. It is not a rocket, but it will climb.

Make certain you have the proper pitch blocks on the Ultra. I believe the A.C. used 13-degree blocks, but others will know better.

The Ultra is not an ideal prop because (1) the leading edges are sharp when they should be rounded (2) the blades are untwisted. As other posters have noted, there are better-performing props.

25 feet is an awful lot of rotor for such a light gyro. Dennis Fetters tried 25-footers on the A.C. 447 but settled on 23's. A rotor that is is too lightly loaded will spin too slowly, which creates a cluster of problems.

Two LIFE and DEATH safety tips:

(1) get some good gyro training. If you're trying to make a 447 climb at 30, your training was not thorough enough!

(2) make certain that you have a horizontal stabilizer on your gyro. The factory job works nicely. Without a stab, an Air Command lowrider is a proven widowmaker! Its prop thrustline is 5-6" above its CG, making it extremely prone to power pushover (PPO). And, anyway, it handles far better with the stab. Night and day, in fact.
 
Top