Affordable helicopter?

avoid like the plague, nice toy for the backyard only.

high tech helicos are marginally safe for autorotation!

high tech helicos are marginally safe for autorotation!

Could be interesting with lots of redundancies! :) don't forget that for most twin engines high tech. helicos, autorotation is a forbidden practice!!!! :eek:

Last edited:
quadrirotor said:
don't forget that for most twin engines high tech. helicos, autorotation is a forbidden practice!!!! :eek:

Because they are also very expensive helicopters & the odds of having a dual engine failure with modern turbines are pretty slim, most companies have decided it's not worth the risk of damage to practice autos to touchdown - it's a purely economic decision. They do still practice them with a power recovery :)

On a related note, many of the modern twins that are FADEC equipped use a special mode to simulate single engine flight where both engines are still online but it fakes the gauge readings & power response so the aircraft acts like it's single engine - but full power is there if needed, both to keep from bending the aircraft or exceeding single engine/transmission limits as might happen if you really were on one & something goes wrong in training.

I would think that when you run out of fuel both engines would stop. In the NTSB reports running out of fuel is common in aircraft. Thank You, Vance

If we call the chance of one engine failing "P", this chart shows that with 2 engines you've got twice the chance of having any one engine fail at a given time. 2P. Pretty obvious.
The chance of both engines failing is P squared.
If each engine has a failure rate of once per 1000 hrs, then both engines will fail every 1 million hours, on average.
probability.gif

Last edited:
Which is exactly why I'd never fly a helicopter that couldn't auto :)

Other than an R-22 or Mini 500, which helicopter would that be? I hope you don't mean the EC-135!!

Hehehe... R22's auto just fine, although they aren't very forgiving at the bottom - I got spoiled by Bell 47's though.
The only helicopters I've seen that can't auto are those fixed-pitch coaxial ones already mentioned in the thread - no way you'll get me in one of those.

Ezycopter

Ezycopter

Just visited the helishow in Dubai, ezycopter had a stall there.

I am an engineer, somewhat driver... The info and samples they had there were interesting. Collective control, extruded blades, blade holders and swashplate well machined. These will all be cast in the production versions. Swashplate good for 30K RPM.

Retail price for kit between $US 35-40K...

Will be interesting to watch, delivery scheduled for next year, they have presold a number already!

I wiill have no hope of getting one registered here (UAE) unless a Sheik wants one as a toy...

Have fun

Andrew,
the ezcopter has been around for times, if I am not wrong, the rotorhead design comes from the Gyrodyne QH-50C UAV , it is pretty complex and, IMHO over engineered.

35 k for the kit ?? the cheaper helicopter kit ?? i want to see that.... looks most like an advertisement .

Thanks

Twin Engines;

Twin Engines;

Way back in 11-17-2004 Vance wrote;
I would think that when you run out of fuel both engines would stop. In the NTSB reports running out of fuel is common in aircraft.
Here is an idea; Safety Fuel

On the same day Al Hammer wrote;
If each engine has a failure rate of once per 1000 hrs, then both engines will fail every 1 million hours, on average.
A couple of comments, for the fun of it;
1/ If both engines were new in the beginning then the probability of a simultaneous failure will be greater.
2/ If the flight durations on one engine are shorter than 1 hr then the chance that both engines will fail during the same flight will be less.

Additional stuff; Two Engines:

Affordable helicopter

Affordable helicopter

Looks like its come up a couple of times in this thread, but for those who think $20K is expensive for a chopper, let me tell you trying to put out a helicopter kit for that price has been quite a task! The only way we can get away with offering the Mosquito at that price is because of the Can$ exchange.

John

Hello John, I think your helicopter is briliant. Your parts are art. It apears to fly very well. I don't see how you can make a profit at $20,000! I hope your company survives because we need your cleaverness and work ethic. Thank you, Vance

Thanks Vance, we've sold 37 so far and I'm still not sure if I'm actually making a profit. $#%^& Canadian dollar keeps going up. :mad: :confused:

Last edited:
Hello John, in case you didn't already know, a begining business with that kind of growth is a very hard thing to measure. Usually there is not enough time to count carefully enough to have any real answers. There is no old data to compare current performance against.

Congratulations on the 37, cash flow will delay consequences of inevitable errors. Good luck, Vance

Last edited:
You can buy a brand new Kia Rio car here for less than the cheapest gyroplane kit on the market - the Starbee gyro kit MINUS engine and prop. but like John said... how high will it fly! ;)