Affordable helicopter?

Eagle Aviation

PTKay said:
I am also very much for a coax solution.

Does anybody know what happend to the Nolan Bros
Eagle's Perch Heli. The web site was always very scarse,
and no news about it since some time.

It looks like the idea has been revived in AirScooter.

http://www.airscooter.com/

The solution is simple gimbal rotorhead, not so complex, no swashplates.
Almost as simple as gyro controls, but how (and if) it works...?

I think the similar solution was used on Sikorsky S-69 (XH59A) ABC.

Anybody has any news about such helis?

PTKay
I know what happened to the Nolans kits. It was purchased by my corporation. We currently own the patent rights to the kit now known as the Eagle's Perch (as you are probably aware). We are still selling the kit, although we are also focusing on the UAV market. You can check out our website to see what we have done, www.eagleaviationtech.com. The Eagle's Perch is currently selling at $18,995.00USD without the engines (two for safety- no autorotation) and electronics. Usually once you add these components pricing ranges between $29,000-$31,000.00 USD.

Thought you would be interested in knowing!
Thanks
Mia
Eagle Aviation Technologies, Inc
www.eagleaviationtech.com

Eagle Aviation

Hello,
If you are interested in Prefab blades, my corporation sells the :

HELICOPTER MAIN ROTOR BLADE SETS: NACA 0012 AIRFOIL
4.0” chord main rotor blades, 6’ length: $675/set

ASYMMETRICAL MAIN ROTOR BLADE SETS: 8-H-12 AIRFOIL
(used for both gyroplanes and helicopters)
4.75” chord main rotor blades, 9’ length: $850/set

These blades were once marketed by vortech. We sell the blank blade sets and tip caps.

www.eagleaviationtech.com - under products and rotor blades.

Thanks
Mia

KenSandyEggo

Platinum Member
Aircraft
McCulloch J2
Total Flight Time
approx. 1400+
Wow, Mia. Your company is certainly versatile.....from blades to keep us pip-squeek gyro-heads in the air to slick government contracts. I just glanced at your site for now, but will take a better look later.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
Eagle Aviation said:
Hello, my corporation was involved with the design and fabrication of the AirScooter, the reason you can't fly above 50' is because it is in the Ultralight weight class, which restricts weight and ceiling height.

Thanks
Mia
www.eagleaviationtech.com

Interesting....this is the first that I have heard of a 50' heighth limit for ultralights...hmmmmmmmmmm.

Victor Duarte

troublemaker
Right ken, sounds strange, i think, correct me mr eagle if i'm wrong, but it is more because of the coax rotorhead design no ? I readed they have a fixed pitch so the lift is controled by the engines , that could explain the low ceiling..
right or wrong please ?
thanks

skyguynca

Gold Member
Aircraft
depends on what I have sold recently
Total Flight Time
5000+
HMMMM, there is no height restriction on ultralight helicopters, there is also no speed restriction for ultralight helicopters as there is for ultralight fixed wing due to the power needed to hover gives a higher speed than allowed in FAR part 103 hence the exception for helicopters.........Mia where did you get the story for the height restrictions????? The reason the air scooter is suggtested lower than 50 feet is because if the engine or drive train fails you should be able to live thru the landing since the air scooter can not autorotate.

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
skyguynca said:
HMMMM, there is no height restriction on ultralight helicopters, there is also no speed restriction for ultralight helicopters as there is for ultralight fixed wing due to the power needed to hover gives a higher speed than allowed in FAR part 103 hence the exception for helicopters.........Mia where did you get the story for the height restrictions????? The reason the air scooter is suggtested lower than 50 feet is because if the engine or drive train fails you should be able to live thru the landing since the air scooter can not autorotate.
That was my understanding as well, for the same reason as the GEN-4 and that old Vortech killer (forgot what they called it.) No autorotation = no safety net if the engine(s) fail. Granted there is less likelihood of a total failure with multiple engine configurations, but it's not fool-proof... If your fuel is contaminated for any reason, both engines will probably fail in rapid succession. High altitude is NOT where you'd want to be right then.

Brian Jackson

Victor Duarte

troublemaker
david, brian, i think it may be a good explanation..
that's why they have these 2 big floaters (optionnal elsewhere)..
hum...strange conception of safety.. but fine to cut the hedges :D
seriously, if it cannot autorotate..customers sould be warned, at least..
or have they the same lawyer as lafleur?

edit : bad taste but we can call that an unmanned-after-landing-vehicle

jsligar1

Aircraft
Hummel Bird N237JS
Total Flight Time
1500 Plus
What about a UltraSport 254? I heard of one for sale around here for about half the kit cost of 30K. I have not seen it but was told it was ready to fly.

skyguynca

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
5000+
It is a nice but expensive helicopter, if you are really into building your own you can get the AW95 plans from Vortech. I have those plans, and Doug the designer did a good job with them.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2200+ in rotorcraft
In conversations with Stanley Hiller, he has often said to stay away from fixed pitch helicopters because they are dangerous. Thank you, Vance

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
zeeoo said:
david, brian, i think it may be a good explanation..
that's why they have these 2 big floaters (optionnal elsewhere)..
hum...strange conception of safety.. but fine to cut the hedges :D
seriously, if it cannot autorotate..customers sould be warned, at least..
or have they the same lawyer as lafleur?

edit : bad taste but we can call that an unmanned-after-landing-vehicle
I believe the floats allow you to exceed the US Part 103 Ultralight weight limit by a substantial margin, if my memory serves. It's actually a pretty neat design, as long as you fly it like a low altitude hovercraft. It is what it is, and isn't trying to compete with Rotorway, UltraSport, etc. I believe it was originally marketed as an "off-road vehicle", and a very cool one I might add! :) Has a very unique control system too.

Cheers,
Brian Jackson

skyguynca

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
5000+
well the control system is a copy of Bensen's Little Zipster, the whole thing really is just a updated copy. Bensen did all the coaxial tilt control back in the 60's, and it flew just fine.

Ted Eggleston

Aircraft
Corby Starlet (Now Sold)
Total Flight Time
McDonalds doesn't use Birdy's cows.

McDonalds doesn't use Birdy's cows.

birdy said:
Besides,me cows can't do 200mph.
Does this mean you don't sell your cows to the fast food industry Birdy?? :D :D

Rotor Rooter

Dave Jackson
I believe that the basic empty weight limitation of 254 lbs is allowed to increase by 30 lbs for each float. More information . It appears that John Uptigrove has also put floats on his enclosed Mosquito to remain in the Ultralight category.

It would be interesting to see if collapsed air bag floats, which were attached to the skids and expanded by firing an air cartridge would be an acceptable means of getting the crafts allowable empty weight up to 314 lbs.

Dave Jackson

skyguynca

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
5000+
Floats on a ultralight are exempt from the total empty weight. You can have a 254 lb aircraft with no landing gear, put ampibian or just floats on it is legal, I see alot of heavily built Quicksilvers done that way, because of the bigger engine they put on it, it weight more than the limit so they put ampib floats and now it is legal again.

Victor Duarte

troublemaker
david and dave, in france and europe the rules are similar to yours :
a recov chute allows 5 % of extra weight and floaters 10 %, not additive.
so, your opinion ? mine is "stay away"...