Affordable helicopter?

brett s

Gold Supporter
the little bug doesn't meet ultra lite specs as it sits with out floats, With floats it squeeks by no floats no ultralite.
For the XEL, right - the Air supposedly just makes limit as-is, no floats offered or required.

The XE/XEL has a much heavier airframe, also uses a larger diameter main rotor too.

bryancobb

...They do already offer a conventional skid upgrade package for it - the XEL's floats just attach to it's skids, seems like it wouldn't be hard to do the same on the Air....
The Air doesn't have skids. To my knowledge, the floats won't attach to the tripod feet without some added design work.

I think this is the only person that has put skids on an Air.

brett s

Gold Supporter
The Composite-FX website says "skid kit available as custom option" for the Air. Probably doing exactly what that user above did...

Looking closer they also give some specs for the Air3 that I didn't see before - empty weight of 350 lbs, max gross 630 lbs, 12 gallon fuel capacity.

brett s

Gold Supporter
The little stuff adds up quick!

You also probably can't add that skid upgrade or any instruments at all without busting the weight limit.

bryancobb

IT IS AN UNBELIEVABLE FEAT TO GET A HELICOPTER DESIGNED AND ACTUALLY PRODUCED AND FLYING FOR LESS THAN 254 LBS!!!

That is so unbelievable but most people just pass the little helicopters by when they see one, just like seeing a Bugatti type 41 at a car show. Doing that and making it carry a pilot that weighs as much or more than the helicopter really shows what John Uptigrove is made of.

Fly Army

Germany has just finished building a large manufacturing center with assistance from China to become the leader in the World of affordable Helicopters
Demnächst: Hubschrauber made in Eisenach - YouTube

Keep up to date with the latest developments in the world of affordable helicopters.
http://helicopterkits.blogspot.com/
Probably won't be too affordable if it's priced in Euro. For 25,891 Euro I could get a Mosquito Air completely assembled and test flown.

davh12

I have heard of the "mini-1" a time or two. Do you have experience in metal fab? Some areas it would not be good to cut corners, but other areas you can trim the cost if you have the experience to do some of it yourself. There is a place in Australia that carrys AW 95 parts, etc.........A few years back I was looking over their swash plates...bit pricey.

http://www.propeng.com.au/

Last edited:

bryancobb

Everyone who has ever got into this area knows that the "yet unobtainable" link in the chain to create a big success, IS A LIGHTWEIGHT, RELIABLE, EFFICIENT, AFFORDABLE, PLENTIFUL powerplant.

Every other aspect of a lightweight helicopter has been successfully conquered, but when it comes to setting something in the engine mounts, everyone has been left scratching their heads for decades. They always "settle" and pick what they feel is best. It is never great.

Steve McGowan

Gold Member
The Air doesn't have skids. To my knowledge, the floats won't attach to the tripod feet without some added design work.

I think this is the only person that has put skids on an Air.

And he ain't gonna last very long with his seat belt not on.. Guess its just a photo shoot

birdy

And he ain't gonna last very long with his seat belt not on..
Spose he aint plan'n on usen it.
You only need the belt of your plan'n on go'n negative or rolln it along the ground.

birdy

????????????
How the hell do they manage that?

No matter how safe you build sumthn, sumone will find a way............... .