Aerobatics and stuff

Those looked great Ron. What a blast.

Took me back to my first ever job as an Instructor was for an Eastern Airline pilot who ran a small school called TailDraggers out of Opa Locka. I had taken a course from him on basic aerobatics in October 69 and he asked what I was doing. At the time finishing an II with Burnside Ott across the field, had my Instructor rating and an offer of a job if I did the II and Basic Ground Instructor.

He had just landed a Young Eagle contract with a local Military Acedemy and needed another hand. So did that and taught basic aero’s while I finished the other two ratings before being hired on with Burnside.

Fun times.

Great fun and great video Ron. I've spent many an hour perform a loops, rolls, Cuban 8s, and hammerheads in my younger years. I'm sure you thoroughly enjoy flying your Waiex. Nothing beats flying under a blown canopy for a "fighter pilot" view.

Lately, I've been contemplating on obtaining a Xenos Motor Glider. There is a method to my madness in wanting one.

To fly a motor glider in the USA, one needs a Glider Rating with a self launch endorsement.

In many ways, a Glider Rating is way more valuable and versatile than a Light Sport Rating. Just like a Sport Pilot, there is no medical class requirement. Here's the difference as compared to the Sport Pilot. If a person with a Glider Rating that also possess other aircraft ratings at Private Pilot or above, and have lost their medical, there are some instances whereas the individual will be able to continue to fly a glider. There is no instance where an individual can continue to fly as a Sport Pilot after loosing their medical.

Another big difference is with a Glider Rating as compared to Sport Pilot, there is no maximum altitude restriction (10,000 ft MSL), Add a Transponder with ADS-B, and the Glider Pilot can legally fly in Class C, Class B (and veil), and Class A airspace (with ATC clearence of course). If the motor glider is equipped with the required lighting for night flight, one can legally fly a motor glider at night. If the pilot posses an IFR rating in another Category of aircraft, and the motor glider is fully IFR equipped. The motor glider can be legally flown IFR!

With the Xenos motor glider, one can legally train in and take all of the respective check rides for Light Sport, Recreational, Private Pilot, Commercial, and CFI Gliders ratings.

Wayne

Attachments

• 5504184009_8da9c5f5cb_b.jpg
    5504184009_8da9c5f5cb_b.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 11
What is make/model is the airplane? Thanks for posting. Fun to watch.

It is a Waiex, which is a v tail version of the Sonex. Very fun, affordable all metal airplane. Most folks build them and use VW engines for power, mine has the 3300 Jabiru which is the most powerful engine you can put in one, makes the plane a blast to fly

Great fun and great video Ron. I've spent many an hour perform a loops, rolls, Cuban 8s, and hammerheads in my younger years. I'm sure you thoroughly enjoy flying your Waiex. Nothing beats flying under a blown canopy for a "fighter pilot" view.

Lately, I've been contemplating on obtaining a Xenos Motor Glider. There is a method to my madness in wanting one.

To fly a motor glider in the USA, one needs a Glider Rating with a self launch endorsement.

In many ways, a Glider Rating is way more valuable and versatile than a Light Sport Rating. Just like a Sport Pilot, there is no medical class requirement. Here's the difference as compared to the Sport Pilot. If a person with a Glider Rating that also possess other aircraft ratings at Private Pilot or above, and have lost their medical, there are some instances whereas the individual will be able to continue to fly a glider. There is no instance where an individual can continue to fly as a Sport Pilot after loosing their medical.

Another big difference is with a Glider Rating as compared to Sport Pilot, there is no maximum altitude restriction (10,000 ft MSL), Add a Transponder with ADS-B, and the Glider Pilot can legally fly in Class C, Class B (and veil), and Class A airspace (with ATC clearence of course). If the motor glider is equipped with the required lighting for night flight, one can legally fly a motor glider at night. If the pilot posses an IFR rating in another Category of aircraft, and the motor glider is fully IFR equipped. The motor glider can be legally flown IFR!

With the Xenos motor glider, one can legally train in and take all of the respective check rides for Light Sport, Recreational, Private Pilot, Commercial, and CFI Gliders ratings.

Wayne

Yep, and that is why they offer the Xenos!

I have not flown in one so can't offer anything much to say about it. I will say that if I had my choice I would rather have a normal tail verses the V tail. The V tail doesn't have as good of a crosswind authority as a normal tail, and in flight if there is any wind or turbulence the plane wags it's tail where as the normal tail tracks straight and true.

Looks like great fun Ron. What is the VNE. I saw 180 in the video. That's Sweet

Looks like great fun Ron. What is the VNE. I saw 180 in the video. That's Sweet

I think the GPS built into the camera was laggy and also showed speeds higher than I was going at times. For example, I was showing indicated airspeed of 150mph at the start of the loops, the GPS showed more like 170 something. But the answer to your question is the VNE is 200 mph

You are a menace to society.

Oh, shit, make that "man ace".

Great stuff.