Advise on purchasing a gyro?

Greg Vos

Guys I would appreciate some comments on the purchase of a Xenon 2 ?
I can get one for around 30000.00 USD related into our local currency (+-450K ZAR) the bird had a roll over and was fully rebuilt by the agent, spares included new blades, booms mast and tail feathers with many other parts related to the RH.

The gyro is 9 years old and has a total of 254 hours Xenon RST the new parts have around 184 hours since rebuild.

I have confirmed that parts will be available from Trendak via our local agent so that concern has been addressed, the question is, is it wise to purchase a gyro of this age and how does the price look?
I'm going to see the gyro next week the pictures I have been sent it looks clean.
Comments do or donts most welcomed

Greg - regarding this post and your other:

Before you jump in with the Xenon and Trendak, check in with Trendak to make certain that the parts you want will fit the Xenon. When I was trying to replace my Xenon door and was getting frustrated with Argo Aero, I contacted Trendak. They were very interested and agreeable in helping me - but they figured that the doors that they are now producing wouldn't fit the Xenon IV.

Tim

Greg Vos

Greg - regarding this post and your other:

Before you jump in with the Xenon and Trendak, check in with Trendak to make certain that the parts you want will fit the Xenon. When I was trying to replace my Xenon door and was getting frustrated with Argo Aero, I contacted Trendak. They were very interested and agreeable in helping me - but they figured that the doors that they are now producing wouldn't fit the Xenon IV.

Tim
I traveled the 2000km from Cape Town to look at the Xenon gyro, I didn't not make an offer on it as the cosmetic condition was a bit not to my liking.

I must say that I rebuilt a Xenon for a student of mine it was an older unit and Trendak were very helpful in sending us parts
My point of this was to see how the value compares with it in say the USA at 30K? I'm not adverse to rebuilding it and restoring it to factory condition not difficult IMO (having flown 4 diffrent Xenon I found the workmanship in all 4 gyro was really not of a great standard and the electrical wiering and general assembly for factory supplied units is just terrible.)

One thing that gets me in all the Xenon I have flown is that fact that you need to pull the master to switch off the main pump, this means it does not have a separate switch? And in my opinion if you had a fire and simply wanted to put off the pump you would lose radio and the MGL
Essentially killing your airspeed as well as other information that could be useful in a landing.

On the unit I rebuilt I fixed that

I see on the new FLy Argo gyro they still use the same old boat (marine switches) with no attention to detail ........and 98000Euro..

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
It is rare to see a modern two place Rotax powered gyroplane in the USA listed for much less than $60,000 Greg.

It is challenging to import a used gyroplane into the USA from a registration standpoint. I have heard of it being done; my Flight Standards District Office and two FSDOs that I am in contact with flatly say no used experimental amateur built or factory built gyroplanes will be registered unless they are experimental exhibition. In my opinion there is a lot of extra regulatory burden for registering it as experimental exhibition.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Talking of electric, its not surprising. A lot of ULM categry machines from Europe have similar quality etc. $30k is very very cheap. Get it and fix it. In AR-1, we use a Cessna style dual Master switch (batt and generator sides) and put two Tyco switches/Circuit breakers for fuel pump 1 and fuel pump 2. Fuel pump 1 by passes the Master per Rotax recommendation for 914 because if a pilot sees smoke, his first impulse may be to switch off Master and in that case in 914 he will shut off fuel supply without understanding.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Talking of electric, its not surprising. A lot of ULM categry machines from Europe have similar quality etc. $30k is very very cheap. Get it and fix it. In AR-1, we use a Cessna style dual Master switch (batt and generator sides) and put two Tyco switches/Circuit breakers for fuel pump 1 and fuel pump 2. Fuel pump 1 by passes the Master per Rotax recommendation for 914 because if a pilot sees smoke, his first impulse may be to switch off Master and in that case in 914 he will shut off fuel supply without understanding.
I did not know this!