ADS-B Out Option

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
My mechanic @ PHKO/KOA just showed me the installs he put on a Cherokee and a Grumman. One had the head built into the left running light, the other in the tail-light. Very cool ... no idea about price, and it wouldn't matter to either airplane owner :-/
$1999 certified $1699experimental

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
It is ludicrous for a gyro to have any ADS-B device more than simple ADS-B OUT for ATC purposes...ADS-B IN is not required and the benefits ADS-B IN provides to gyro pilots is minimal.
It won't be long before remote areas are filled with pizzas and Amazon packages streaking through the skies below 400' AGL. Anyone flying a gyro from a dry lake or farm field will have to contend with drones, operated by companies and individuals who mistakenly think their altitude restriction to 400' or less means they are the only thing allowed in that airspace. ADS-B-in on an iPad might not be useful for mitigating this, but if a system can be developed which overlays drone IDs on ADS-B-in, and sounds an automated collision warning, I'd sure want one.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Just imagine those pizzas colliding mid-air with those Amazon packages - oh, the lack of humanity!

If drones can avoid each other, we ought to be able use the same information that they do to keep them from appearing on our windshields.

[P.S., If a pizza crashes in my backyard, can I eat it?]