ADS-B Out Option

Terry_Smith

Gyroplane Fan
Aircraft
Building a Sportcopter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
3 - Some training and glider time
I have been starting to look for ADS-B Out options for my Gyro, as now that I'm FINALLY able to start my build again, I'll probably need it given how crowded SoCal skies are where I live. And, being a single seat Gyro, there isn't a whole lot of places to put avionics. I had been looking at several ideas, but this just showed up on uAvionix's website - an all in one Mode S transponder, with ADS-B Out and Dual Band ADS-B In, AND it has a remote control head, so you don't necessarily have to wifi it to an iPhone/Android or tablet. the link is here if you want to see it. I think this will be a great option for smaller gyros that may need to have it. They don't have a price yet, but should be competitive with what else is out there. I'm hoping to be ready to build my panel this fall - finally starting the frame assembly, but need a few items before I get the wheels on. With luck, I'll be starting lessons next spring/summer!

I suspect that when ADS-B out is fully implemented, we'll actually see an increase in aviation accidents. Why I say this is because we'll have a very large number of pilots keeping their heads (i.e. eyes and brains) in the cockpit, and not looking outside and flying the aircraft. Just look at the current world around us.

The vast majority of our population with the millennials taking an extreme lead, spending majority of their lives looking down at their smart phones, inside their little bubble, oblivious to the world around them. The number of auto accidents have increased because drivers are "keeping their head in the cockpit" playing with the pretty pictures and data on their phones. The level of personal injuries are up because these same people are walking "with their heads in the cockpit" and walking into things, tripping, and falling.

I work for a major university in SoCal. Every day I have to walk across a major intersection on my way to work from my assigned parking lot. As I stand at the cross walk, I constantly observe all the rest of the people with "their heads in the cockpit" looking at their phones. When the light turns green to walk across, I'm the only one who starts to move forward and walk, the rest are still inside their little bubble, oblivious to their surroundings. I've watched people fall off the curb, walk into poles, meander off the sidewalk into the adjacent foliage, miss the green walk light complete and then start to walk against a red don't walk sign, and my favorite, experience a head on collision with another walker who is also walking "with their head in the cockpit." These same people are going to be our new pilots of the present and future, and will easily transfer this "head in the cockpit" oblivious to the world around them mindset into a real cockpit.

The reason why ABS-B was created is to eventually eliminate the costly RADAR controlled centers, the career air traffic controllers with salaries and pensions, and the tort liability from human errors within that system. All that cost, responsibility, and liability will be transferred to the pilot in the cockpit with ADS-B.

Yes, ADS-B is hear to stay and we all have to accept the requirements if we want to fly our own aircraft within the national airspace system. For those gyroplane pilots who desire to fly within Class D,C & perhaps B airspace should keep it simple, posses the basic ADS-B out system, and continue to fly with their "head outside the cockpit." See and be seen.

Wayne

Wayne unfortunately your right,of all the machines flying, Gyros require the most heads up attention of all for safe flying.

I'm eyeing the same unit. It will be available this fall and the price is only $1700 but the remote head might be more money. I am watching the evolution of hardware and the drop in price but waiting until the last 3 to 6 months is my plan.

I tend to agree with the sentiments regarding the safety aspect. You don't HAVE to utilize ADS-B in, you only have to transmit out. I will use the weather in but if I take a lot of time being an air traffic controller, I'm not flying. Now, if foreflight and the others would flash the screen when I am in a collision path with another aircraft, then I would welcome the technology.

That price is better than what I expected. And, it pretty much has everything I'll need - just add a radio, and some gauges - I'm looking at the Vega gauges from MGL - they plan on 3 1/8 size versions later this summer. My gyro panel will be pretty much set up. Just waiting for some more items from Sport Copter.

No Title

okikuma, this one's for you.

Attachments

• photo130261.png
    photo130261.png
    274.8 KB · Views: 8
HighAltitude;n1135019 said:
.. I will use the weather in but if I take a lot of time being an air traffic controller, I'm not flying. Now, if foreflight and the others would flash the screen when I am in a collision path with another aircraft, then I would welcome the technology.

Most systems have alarm setting parameters.
You can set it to only alarm for aircraft that are within a mile and closing, and within 500 ft of your altitude.
It won't tell you about aircraft that are not a factor.

okikuma;n1135008 said:
The reason why ABS-B was created is to eventually eliminate the costly RADAR controlled centers, the career air traffic controllers with salaries and pensions, and the tort liability from human errors within that system.

Wayne, I think that's part of it. But a bigger driver was the need to pack traffic more densely than can be done by human controllers seeing altitude from barometric altimeters. The real goal is to safely reduce separation among airliners. (What they'll do about the increased congestion at airport gates during peak times is an open question.)

A much more interesting problem for gyros is going to be the proliferation of drones, operated by people and companies which are under the impression they have some exclusive right to airspace below 400' AGL. Lots of small manned aircraft operate there, especially in remote areas where both groups will not be expecting to encounter other aircraft. Right now, there is no legal way to put ADS-B on either an ultralight or a drone, so neither will be visible in the ADS-B system until another layer of surveillance is somehow added.

LOL, Funny sign J.R.!

Paul,

Part 107 in some ways overlap with Part 101 for RC aircraft operations. That's why at the present time, 400 ft AGL altitude restriction and visual line of site. Small UAS are RC aircraft.

On a normal weekend, the airspace around El Mirage Dry Lake Bed and become quite busy. Gyros and ultralights flying around below 400 ft AGL, General Atomics flying UAVs above the lake bed at about 1,000 AGL. Then a weekend private pilot aviator buzzing the lake bed in his Cessna.

One weekend, I was talking to Teddy Udala at Moe's Ranch when a B-25J came buzzing over us at around 200 ft AGL. I recognized the marking so I knew the crew who was flying. Jeff Jones was flying his Bensen over the lake bed and there were two RV homebuilts buzzing around the lake bed too. Just above was a Predator UAV from General Atomics flying around at 1,000 AGL. Later that evening, I called the pilot of the B-25J and told him I saw his buzz over Moe's Ranch. I asked him did he ever see the Bensen, the two RV,s and the Predator flying in the vicinity? He became very quiet on the phone.

Imagine all the small UAS possess ADS-B out capability. That will overtax the new tracking system for sure.

Wayne

No Title

Terry,
That is the same unit I have been eyeing up for my panel build. Waiting for the official price release with the control head. The AHRS will be used on my iPad running Foreflight synthetic vision.

Attachments

• photo130534.png
    photo130534.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 13
  • photo130535.png
    photo130535.png
    79.6 KB · Views: 13
I have reservations about using my ipad. It has terrible sunlight readability in any aircraft that has direct sunlight hitting the ipad. Apparently some other products are brighter. I'm also playing with fltplan.com as a free alternative to foreflight.

I'm eyeing the same unit. It will be available this fall and the price is only $1700 but the remote head might be more money. I am watching the evolution of hardware and the drop in price but waiting until the last 3 to 6 months is my plan.
Dug a bit deeper and looks like the control head will be $400 more for a total of ~$2100, actually not a bad price for all it will be doing.

I have reservations about using my ipad. It has terrible sunlight readability in any aircraft that has direct sunlight hitting the ipad.
Agreed, I have 2 iPads I use in the cockpit now, but they are 1st generation and will be getting replaced after this season so hoping to preview the new iPads before making the decision to buy my own. We use Foreflight, AirNavPro and Oz Runways depending on where in the world we are located.

I am currently using the $70 ping-buddy with ADSB in -bluetooth wireless to my IFly screen ...as it only pings off ground towers... there seems some delay ... but it has given me enhanced awareness of what is around me & given me sufficient warning to see & made avoiding maneuvers with traffic on collision course on a couple of occasions!
iFly Adventure pilot has just announces the easy-install ADSB for UL A/C & gyroplanes interfacing with their product ... in a tail light! I like the looks of this ... just need a hot & ground connect... pair & go!
The wingtip Nav/strobe product has been available for a while ... this tail light job I REALLY like for our Titaniums as we have an unused mast mounted bracket ..ready for it to go in. ( Just need to see how tolerant the product is to the high vibration location ( it killed the Kunzelman strobe lights mounted there ...after time in use!) ... also is the sky-view through the rotor disc ... sufficient!

They are slick. They are made by uavionix, the company we are discussing above that makes the ESX. In my FW, the strobe or tail unit is the way to go. In a new build, I like the ESX better. I am not convinced the I will need ADS-b 99% of the time but if I'm buying a new transponder for a build, the ESX seems like a better deal since it is a transponder and ADS-B in one box for the price of a typical transponder. The ADS-B is essentially free. I am wondering if there will be a big price drop in January of 2020 after the rush to comply ends. wondering?

What are the latest/compliant/economic equipment ADSB options for the ultralight/gyro market?

Thanks Mark. You are right about the ‘cheap’ :oops:. Convenient, and looks like its the the one Chris was using.

Having said that, was looking at radios and thought that the cost of the MGL V-16 and Razor at $1,145 seemed reasonable.
Does anyone have any experience with the V-16?

It is ludicrous for a gyro to have any ADS-B device more than simple ADS-B OUT for ATC purposes. Gyros are VFR, eyes-outside machines. In a couple of days, having simple ADS-B OUT, as you know, will be the law of the land. ADS-B IN is not required and the benefits ADS-B IN provides to gyro pilots is minimal. ADSB-OUT, adequate for ATC to know precisely where and how high and how fast you are is a great idea and works without the pilot doing ANYTHING except turning it on. Unless you will be staying out of airspace that requires a transponder, you will need it. ADS-B in is a gadget with very limited value to any aircraft that spends its whole life in VFR air. I just put ADS-B out in my VFR Tomahawk for the least amount you can possibly do. It cost me $1999. I think the EXPERIMENTAL version is $1799. Get it or stay out of Class B & C and Mode-C Veils.

Last edited:
I have found ADS-B in very useful flying gyroplanes.

I can’t visually see an aircraft at my six o’clock and most are going faster than me.

They have trouble seeing me because my wings are not visible.

With ADS-B in I can see aircraft behind me and find value in that.

I find rotorcraft hard to see and it is nice to have the ADS-B in to help with that.