ADS-B are You Ready?? Nov 1, 2018

All_In

Gold Supporter
FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education

"ADS-B are You Ready??"
Topic: ADS-B for General Aviation
On Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 18:30 Eastern Daylight Time (15:30 PDT, 16:30 MDT, 17:30 CDT, 12:30 HST, 14:30 AKDT, 15:30 Arizona, 22:30 GMT)

Select Number:
EA3985112

Description:

NextGen is coming! Are you ready? Do you know what to expect? At this meeting you will be introduced to some of the concepts of NextGen and the equipment that you will need before January 1, 2020. We will cover ADS-B System Components & Characteristics to include ground infrastructure as well as aircraft equipment. You will gain a new understanding of ADS-B Airspace. We will explain why ADS-B is better for the country and the NAS. Don't miss this informative briefing. Click the link below and register TODAY.

To view further details and registration information for this webinar, click here.

The sponsor for this seminar is: FAASafety Team

The following credit(s) are available for the WINGS/AMT Programs:
Basic Knowledge 3 - 1 Credit

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
And then there are those of us, whom do not fly into the controlled airspace environment and do not have a need for the installation of this equipment.
My equipment list will continue to be, Alt, ASI, engine analyzer.
And I will continue to fly around and to the airports that I visit, just the way I always have.
Nothing changes for me.

chrisk

Gyroplane CFI
I'm donning my flame proof suite for jumping in here.
1) You may want ADS-B if you fly in/through controlled airspace, live in the class b ring, or want other aircraft to see you.
2) For your ASD-B to be legal, you will need a proper position source. I don't recall the technical spec, but a Garmin handheld does not cut it.
3) You don't have a good install until you get a performance report indicating compliance. https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx
4) If you have a transponder capable of generating ADSB, you might want to check the 2020 GPS from GRT. It works with my Trig TT22
5) If you have nothing for a transponder, I would suggest an integrated solution that includes the GPS source. There are now several. Some may be affordable.

chrisk

Gyroplane CFI
I'm donning my flame proof suite for jumping in here.
1) You may want ADS-B if you fly in/through controlled airspace, live in the class b ring, or want other aircraft to see you.
2) For your ASD-B to be legal, you will need a proper position source. I don't recall the technical spec, but a Garmin handheld does not cut it.
3) You don't have a good install until you get a performance report indicating compliance. https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx
4) If you have a transponder capable of generating ADSB, you might want to check the 2020 GPS from GRT. It works with my Trig TT22
5) If you have nothing for a transponder, I would suggest an integrated solution that includes the GPS source. There are now several. Some may be affordable.

Rainman

Chris, I have my gyro at the avionics shop as of this writing for ADS-B in/out. I live near San Antonio and do transit their airspace as well as Austin's often. The ADS-B "out" may be most useful, but I have felt that the "in" would be nice for longer cross countries.

Rainman

My avionics shop tells me that the UAvionix Skybeacon is back ordered for several weeks due to high demand. If users plan on getting one, they may want to consider getting on the list. Just a heads up. Ray

Tyger

Rainman;n1141323 said:
Chris, I have my gyro at the avionics shop as of this writing for ADS-B in/out. I live near San Antonio and do transit their airspace as well as Austin's often. The ADS-B "out" may be most useful, but I have felt that the "in" would be nice for longer cross countries.
ADS-B In is indeed very nice to have, both for weather, and especially for awareness of other aircraft in the area. I regularly spot other aircraft with "In" long before I can actually see them. It's usefulness is certainly not limited to long cross-countries. However, you'll want to have "Out" for "In" to be truly effective.

FYI, the latest (Jan/Feb) issue of FAA Safety Briefing is dedicated to ADS-B:
https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_briefing/?cid=TW112

Rainman

My gyro returned from it's condition inspection and ADS-B install. There were some questions about the use of the Skybeacon with a carbon fiber fuselage, but it works fine. When I flew the 140 nm home, the traffic, weather, were very useful and easy to access.

Rainman

I got the report back from the FAA and the Skybeacon failed several areas. Perhaps it's not a good choice for a carbon fiber body gyro. My test flight was from Houston to San Antonio so coverage should not be the issue. The ADS-B "in" on my Dynon Skyview worked fine, and that made me think it was fine. My installer thinks some adjustment may help, but I'm very disappointed and my budget has been spent.

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
I heard that there are a bunch of settings that may need to be tweaked on the setup for the *beacon devices. I'm looking at the Tailbeacon myself, so I'll be interested to hear that you have this all working correctly :eek:)

EdL

Comm Rotor Gyro, ASEL
As I mentioned elsewhere on this chat, I went with the Trig TT22, Trig TN72, and (ultimately) a Trig TA70 antenna. It generally gets solid PAPR reports though sometimes it fails the NIC part. That may be because I might be on the fringe of reception for low altitudes - not sure. I originally had a $20 GPS antenna instead of the TA70 and wondered if the failures were due to the antenna so I swapped it for the TA70, with maybe a bit more success. But at least the system is now compliant. I also added a Garmin GDL-50R for ADS-B In (plus AHARS). The whole package has been very nice and I would do it all again. The one minor tweak may be to go with a GDL-39, even if they’re phasing them out: much smaller, cheaper.

/Ed

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
I have a Funke TRT-800 that said something about ADS-B with a GPS source. I plugged a $50 Garmin GPS-18x in to it just to see if it would work, and .... well, it doesn't. It's sending an out of date packet type :eek:(

I have a GDL-39, and if I did it again, I'd maybe get the 3D, but I don't _need_ it - I can see the horizon, right?

Rainman

I just got back a second failed performance report on my ADS-B install after adjustments suggested by my installer and the factory rep. I forwarded the report to UAvionix support and was told that the SkyBeacon can not be used where the signal is blocked such as tip tanks, near engines, fuel tanks, and the carbon fiber bodies of AutoGyro gyros. UAvionix recommended removal of the SkyBeacon. I'm going to post this on the AutoGyro page as well. Ray

Rainman

I had the SkyBeacon removed from my AutoGyro, and the Garmin GDL-82 placed. I test flew it and got a positive compliance report from the FAA.

Rainman

I had the SkyBeacon removed from my AutoGyro, and the Garmin GDL-82 placed. I test flew it and got a positive compliance report from the FAA.

chrisk

Gyroplane CFI
Hi Ray,
Glad to hear it. I'm still working on my ADS-B in solution. I'd love something that worked with my Garmin 660, but Garmin insists on making a proprietary protocol and I can't stomach giving Garming even more for a GDL-39. I'm currently working on a raspberry Pi and IFLY setup. It's all done but the install.--which may take some time.