Adding Speed and Alt to films

AgentCheese

Aircraft
Magni M16 914
Total Flight Time
700+ in Gyros
I see on some videos some of you smart people have added in IAS and Alt (or maybe it's TAS and MSL) to your videos. How do you do that? Using the GPS on the GoPro? I am intrigued and would like to do the same.

Thanks,

Jon

So..I guess you need some kind of data file to synchronize with the video. Will I get that if I turn GPS tracking on in my GoPro? Trying now...

I see on some videos some of you smart people have added in IAS and Alt (or maybe it's TAS and MSL) to your videos. How do you do that? Using the GPS on the GoPro? I am intrigued and would like to do the same.

Thanks,

Jon
I use Garmin Virb Ultra 30, it does records GPS based data as well as atmospheric pressure, which I over impose to video while editing it with Garmin Virb Esit app:
Virb Edit.jpgPitch and Roll.jpg

So Dashware pulls the telemetry data from the GoPro video file, so pass it that same file for data, too. You can add extra data if you have it from somewhere else though.

Dashware doesn't work with GoPro Hero 8, only 5,6, and 7. Have to use the GoPro App on your phone to add telemetry data, or so I read in the GoPro forums. Still digging...

Ah, send me your 8 (or a 9) and I'll test it for you :) I have a 7. The GoPro app a) suuuucks and b) had a really low limit to how long a clip could be, from memory. I hated it enough to look for a better solution.

I think they're part of GoPro now, so I'd have thought it would work :(

Send me your email and I'll send you one. It defaults to 8 minutes or so as the standard length.

What would be really cool is if I could pull in actual IAS from the CAN bus and drop that into the vid. That would be much more useful for newbs like me versus ground/GPS speed. Anyone know of a way to tap into the Kanardia CAN bus for telemetry? Just asking.... There is a bluetooth dongle for programming the devices - wonder if that can export as well.

Well, if you've tried it in the software and it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I meant send me the camera :)

One thing I did find is that the telemetry is useless if you don't let the GPS get a fix before you start recording. It's all over the damn place, so now I turn the camera on, do a quick walk around, then start recording and get in (I leave the Bluetooth off to save battery life, or I could start recording once I'm settled and the engine's running.)

Dashware makes it seem like you can import any data and create a feed for it in your videos, so if you can export from the Kanardia, you should be able to massage it to get it into your videos.

I swear there were some other solutions I looked at that might work with the 8 (or 9), but I settled on Dashware as it seemed easy enough. You're right though, ground speed is less useful than you'd think.

One thing I did find is that the telemetry is useless if you don't let the GPS get a fix before you start recording. It's all over the damn place, so now I turn the camera on, do a quick walk around, then start recording and get in
Ah ha! I have a Garmin Virb and sometimes it records the data and sometimes it doesn't. Now I have something to try to troubleshoot the issue. Thanks.