Gyro's are more fun
Aircraft
SnoBird Tandem Gyro, Robinson R-22, Mosquito XE-285, Assorted Fixed Wing
Total Flight Time
From the Aero-News Network

Thu, Jun 23, 2022

AD: AutoGyro Certification Limited

AD 2022-13-07 Prompted By Reports Of Rotor Blade Longitudinal Cracking

The FAA is adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) for all AutoGyro Certification Limited (type certificate previously held by RotorSport UK Ltd) Model Calidus, Cavalon, and MTOsport 2017 gyroplanes.

This AD was prompted by reports of rotor blade longitudinal cracking and rotor blade attachment bolt hole fretting corrosion and cracking. This AD requires reducing the life limits for the rotor systems, repetitively inspecting each rotor blade, and depending on the outcome, removing parts from service. The FAA is issuing this AD to address the unsafe condition on these products. This AD becomes effective July 7, 2022.

Supplementary Information: UK CAA, which is the aviation authority for the United Kingdom, has issued UK CAA MPD 2022-002, dated January 24, 2022 (UK CAA MPD 2022-002), to correct an unsafe condition for Autogyro Certification Limited (formerly Rotorsport Uk Limited) Model MT-03, MTOsport, MTOsport 2017, Calidus, and Cavalon gyroplanes. UK CAA advises of rotor blade longitudinal cracking and rotor blade attachment bolt hole fretting corrosion and cracking on gyroplanes with a Rotor System II installed. According to the UK CAA, due to design similarity, this condition may also affect gyroplanes with a Rotor System I installed. This condition, if not addressed, could result in loss of a rotor blade and subsequent loss of control of the gyroplane. Accordingly, UK CAA MPD 2022-002 requires determining the accumulated flight hours on the rotor system, complying with new life limits for the rotor systems, and repetitively inspecting each rotor blade to hub bar attachment fastenings and blade holes. Depending on the outcome of the inspections, UK CAA MPD 2022-002 requires replacing and returning parts, and reporting certain information to Autogyro Certification Limited and the UK CAA.

FMI: www.regulations.gov, www.rotorsport.org

That sucks for AG owners but better be safe. There is simply no magic. Averso Stella whose life limit is lower than AG rotors and is 20 pounds heavier simply has extra 20 pounds of metal and there is no substitute for that extra metal/beef in fatigue life.

I realize the potential problem applies to all AG rotors, but does the actual AD just apply to "type certificate" aircraft?

I realize the potential problem applies to all AG rotors, but does the actual AD just apply to "type certificate" aircraft?
I would say it only applies to "Type certificate" aircraft.

A DAR told me that a Lycoming or Continental engine on an experimental aircraft if you remove the data plate. Does not have to any AD's done. But then it is no longer considered a certified engine and can not be sold as such.

AD's are put out there for our safety. So not to comply would be foolish.

The FAA estimates that this AD affects 41 gyroplanes of U.S. Registry.

These gyroplanes have been approved by the aviation authority of the UK and are approved for operation in the United States. Pursuant to the FAA's bilateral agreement with the UK, the UK CAA, its technical representative, has notified the FAA of the unsafe condition described in its MPD. The FAA is issuing this AD after evaluating all known relevant information and determining that the unsafe condition described previously is likely to exist or develop on other gyroplanes of these same type designs.

UK CAA MPD 2022-002 applies to Model MT-03 and MTOsport gyroplanes, whereas this AD does not because those models are not FAA type-certificated. UK CAA MPD 2022-002 requires accomplishing the initial instance of the inspections within 100 hours or 12 months for Rotor System I, and within 100 or 500 hours depending on accumulated usage or 2 years or 1 year (recommended) depending on operational or storage usage for Rotor System II; whereas this AD requires accomplishing the initial inspections within 10 hours time-in-service (TIS) or 3 months, whichever occurs first, for a gyroplane with a Rotor System I or II, all part numbers and serial numbers, installed. For certain Rotor System II units, UK CAA MPD 2022-002 recommends a shorter recurring inspection time; whereas this AD does not. This AD requires wiping the inspection areas of the rotor blades clean before accomplishing the inspections; whereas UK CAA MPD 2022-002 does not. UK CAA MPD 2022-002 refers to service information that states that “means of inspection can be dye penetrant or visual high magnification or as determined appropriate by the inspector;” whereas this AD mandates what types of inspections must be accomplished. UK CAA MPD 2022-002 requires returning parts to the manufacturer, whereas this AD does not. UK CAA MPD 2022-002 requires reporting certain information; whereas this AD does not.

Being licensed in the Primary category takes those models out of the Experimental operating regime and makes them subject to ADs, with mandatory compliance.

Are those blades extruded?

Are those blades extruded?
Yes but I don’t believe it’s necessarily the process of manufacture that has created the issue. It’s they design and clamping hub bar plate design more specific fiscally that creates it. They also try and make the rotor a bit too light.

Yes but I don’t believe it’s necessarily the process of manufacture that has created the issue. It’s they design and clamping hub bar plate design more specific fiscally that creates it. They also try and make the rotor a bit too light.

Extruding definitely imparts a linearity to the molecular structure, so it would have a tendency
to split under the conditions that you described for the grips and lighter than optimal design.
I have always looked at the extruded blades with a bit of skepticism because aluminum fatigue life
isn't very good to begin with and extruded aluminum is even less.
That being said, If there was enough market to produce them in mass, they could be cheap enough
to not care about a short life, almost a consumable. I don't think the gyro market will get that large though....

I am not seeing where the actual life limit is stipulated, only frequent inspections.

Extruding definitely imparts a linearity to the molecular structure, so it would have a tendency
to split under the conditions that you described for the grips and lighter than optimal design.
I have always looked at the extruded blades with a bit of skepticism because aluminum fatigue life
isn't very good to begin with and extruded aluminum is even less.
That being said, If there was enough market to produce them in mass, they could be cheap enough
to not care about a short life, almost a consumable. I don't think the gyro market will get that large though....

We use Extruded blades from Averso Stella. Please find me a single example of cracking in the clamping area without a blade strike. They have been around since 2004 and over 1400 in number. If you know of any that have had cracks in 2000 hours of usage without a blade strike, I would be very interested in knowing. This is open to anyone to answer if they know. Thanks
All the ones that have this issue are based on AirCopter design. AG, Trendak and so on.

Last edited:
We use Extruded blades from Averso Stella. Please find me a single example of cracking in the clamping area without a blade strike. They have been around since 2004 and over 1400 in number. If you know of any that have had cracks in 2000 hours f usage without a blade strike, I would be very interested in knowing. This is open to anyone to answer if they know. Thanks
All the ones that have this issue are based n AirCopter design. AG, Trendak and so on.

What are the highest hours attained?
What are the rated hours?

What are the highest hours attained?
What are the rated hours?

I don't know what are the highest hours attained in all Averso Stella. They are sold all over Europe since 2004.
The highest hours attained here that I know off are just a bit over 1000. 2000 if I am remembering is the life limit but they are 20 pounds heavier than AutoGyro rotors. That extra weight is metal that is in there somewhere and it surely seems to have an effect

Last edited:
The FAA is adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) for all AutoGyro Certification Limited (type certificate previously held by RotorSport UK Ltd) Model Calidus, Cavalon, and MTOsport 2017 gyroplanes.

Long overdue, in my opinion! And, where is AutoGyro's "university study" that allegedly calculated their 2,500 hours safe life?