Accident - Rotorsport MTOSport G-PALT, Beccles airfield, Suffolk, UK 10 AUG 2021

Perhaps Leigh.

Just last week I was reviewing this very video at a client’s request and despite playing it on a big screen TV in the hangar I was unable to understand and explain the events leading up to the tip over.

Two things struck me as odd.

1. The pilot comes up hard on the tail wheel and stays there.

In my experience with a similar aircraft when hard on the tail wheel I am not able to steer with the rudder.

2. I see little evidence of pedal work.

As the aircraft became misaligned with the direction of travel to the right I would have had left pedal in to manage the yaw.

It may be that the pilot was trying to control the yaw of the aircraft with the cyclic.

Sometimes I have difficulty communicating the reasons that on the ground I steer either with the nose wheel or the rudder (with The Predator’s free castering nose gear just the rudder) and once in the air I manage the position over the runway with the cyclic while maintaining yaw control with the rudder.

It is not uncommon for a client to try to steer with the cyclic while still on the ground. For example with a crosswind from they would apply right pedal and right cyclic. Because the aircraft wants to weathervane to the left right pedal is needed while left cyclic is needed to maintain the centerline once airborne. This proceeds what I refer to as the “drunken takeoff” where we slide sideways to the right across the runway as soon as we lift off at very low altitude. I feel this is a high risk maneuver and do my best to discourage the drunken takeoff.

Resasi - Wow. I wouldn’t have thought that would be possible, but I suppose if you keep having nose rise without enough airspeed that would be possible.

Vance - So this accident may have been prevented if the gyro had independent brakes to keep it straight down the runway.

I looked at the video on my desktop screen and looks like the Gyro lifted off hard on the tail, got sideways a bit and then came back down, hit the left main, then sh.t happened?

Last edited:
New disease : addiction to numbers !
- RRPM on take off
- airspeed on take off
- hours of training.
Forget all these, they have no use, specially for take off when you should look straight ahead down the runway, not your pretty dials !

Vance - So this accident may have been prevented if the gyro had independent brakes to keep it straight down the runway.
I feel a free castering nose wheel with differential braking would have had little effect on the outcome in the accident video.

In my experience if I you mishandle the controls the aircraft may do what I ask it to.

I recommend against being hard on the tail wheel on the takeoff roll because it limits control.

I recommend using the pedals to steer on the ground.

I recommend using the cyclic to steer in the air and use the rudder to manage yaw.

As near as I can tell he used the pedals very little if at all.

New disease : addiction to numbers !
- RRPM on take off
- airspeed on take off
- hours of training.
Forget all these, they have no use, specially for take off when you should look straight ahead down the runway, not your pretty dials !
I respectfully disagree Arnaud.

In order to become a pilot in the USA where I teach the applicant needs to meet the practical test standards. For Sport Pilot, Gyroplane that is plus or minus five knots on approach, climb out, and slow flight. It is plus or minus ten knots during most gyroplane ground reference maneuvers, plus or minus 100 feet of altitude and plus or minus ten degrees of compass heading.

I find that giving someone rotor rpm targets helps the learning process.

I find if a client applies full power before the rotor is ready things don’t go well.

I teach that a properly set up gyroplane will lift off when she is ready and one way to judge how well I have balanced on the mains is the indicated air speed the gyroplane lifts off.

I feel teaching slow flight is important and a good way to quantify slow flight is the air speed indicator.

By the end of the training I like to have my clients takeoff, fly the pattern and land with all the instruments blocked off.

I agree that during the takeoff roll the pilot should have their eyes outside.

"By the end of the training I like to have my clients takeoff, fly the pattern and land with all the instruments blocked off.

I agree that during the takeoff roll the pilot should have their eyes outside."

I am new to gyrocopters, but not new to flying. This strikes me as an unnecessary and dangerous tactic. Our instruments provide valuable information, such as airspeed, engine RPM, and in gyros, RRPM. In the case of this accident, rotor speed decay was a likely factor and had the pilot kept his instrument scan and saw his RRPM was low, the accident may have been avoided.

"By the end of the training I like to have my clients takeoff, fly the pattern and land with all the instruments blocked off.

I agree that during the takeoff roll the pilot should have their eyes outside."

I am new to gyrocopters, but not new to flying. This strikes me as an unnecessary and dangerous tactic. Our instruments provide valuable information, such as airspeed, engine RPM, and in gyros, RRPM. In the case of this accident, rotor speed decay was a likely factor and had the pilot kept his instrument scan and saw his RRPM was low, the accident may have been avoided.
What makes you think that rotor speed decay was a likely factor in this mishap Don Bishop?

In my experience a properly designed gyroplane will lift of at the correct indicated air speed and the only reason I look at the indicated airspeed after liftoff is to judge how well I did and manage my climb out speed.

In my experience a rotor that is at the correct rotor rpm as the takeoff roll is commenced will take care of itself. I like to teach my clients to determine when the rotor rpm is appropriate to begin the takeoff roll by look and feel in addition to the rotor tachometer.

In my opinion many of the gyroplane takeoff accidents are because people do them by the numbers and they are not conscious of changing conditions.

I feel there is value in an instrument scan on takeoff and there is value in getting a feel for the aircraft during the takeoff sequence.

I have my clients fly with the instruments covered before I sign them off for anything so they can demonstrate that they have a feel for the aircraft.

If I am providing transition training for a fixed wing pilot I sometimes cover the airspeed indicator early on so they don’t try to “rotate” at some particular indicated air speed.

I feel there have been many gyroplane accidents cause by fixed wing pilots who center the controls and then pull back at a particular speed. I have experienced this very thing with several clients despite my explanations of the proper takeoff procedure.

Last edited:
No, Vance. You do not get to attack me. You declared that you teach students to fly without the instruments they are given for flight. You have to defend that. Not me.

Your opinion that take off accidents are caused by people flying by the numbers defies logic. Why in the world do you think aircraft manufacturers publish those numbers?!!

It took me a minute to process all that you had to say. If a properly designed gyro will lift off at the correct indicted airspeed, then you must be flying improperly designed aircraft if fixed wing transition pilots are causing accidents when pulling back at that "particular" airspeed. Even after you have explained the proper take off procedure.

No, Vance. You do not get to attack me. You declared that you teach students to fly without the instruments they are given for flight. You have to defend that. Not me.

Your opinion that take off accidents are caused by people flying by the numbers defies logic. Why in the world do you think aircraft manufacturers publish those numbers?!!
No attack intended Don Bishop.

Many fixed wing pilots attempt to rotate at a particular indicated air speed and if the rotor is not ready it doesn’t work out well.

A properly designed gyroplane will fly when she is ready if someone is balancing on the mains properly.

If the pilot is allowing the nose to come up too far she will lift off early (low indicated air speed) and may settle back down. From the description of the witness I suspect that is what happened with G-PAULT.

If the nose is planted the aircraft is accelerating faster because of the lack of rotor drag and the rotor is not accelerating as fast. If the pilot pulls the cyclic back at too high an indicated air speed with too low a rotor rpm it is not likely to end well. Typically the retreating blade stalls and most gyroplanes will roll left. This is a common gyroplane take off accident.

In the USA the practical test standard for approach and climb out is plus or minus five knots. In my opinion this is best managed with the sight picture rather than by watching the airspeed indicator as the ASI is always behind. I use the air speed indicator to calibrate the sight picture. The same goes for the plus or minus ten knots in ground reference maneuvers, try to do it with the air speed indicator and you will always be behind the aircraft.

Once the rotor is up to flight rpm it manages itself, more load or thinner air makes for more rotor rpm.

The following is the takeoff run procedure for an MTO Sport pilot’s operating handbook.

4.9 Take-off Run

Check min. 5400 RPM for take-off. Otherwise, abort take-off

Minimize lateral drift by applying appropriate lateral control stick input into cross wind direction

Maintain directional control i.e. runway alignment with sensitive pedal input

When nose comes up allow nose wheel to float at about 10 – 15 cm above the runway by a balanced reduction of control stick back pressure

Maintain attitude until speed increases and gyroplane lifts off

Allow gyroplane to build-up speed in ground effect

Vx is 40kts for best angle of climb

Vy is 48kts for best rate of climb

A gyroplane needs to be flown like a gyroplane particularly during takeoff and landing.

There is no Vr (velocity rotate) in a gyroplane.

There is no rotor rpm for takeoff and no liftoff indicated air speed. It varies with conditions.

The green arc for the rotor tachometer in an MTO Sport is from 200 rotor rpm to 550 rotor rpm.

The lift off rotor rpm varies with load and conditions.

Unless you are using some non standard technique for your takeoff roll there is little reason to monitor the rotor tachometer or the ASI.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

Last edited:
I am sure the accident pilot "felt" like the aircraft was ready to fly. Clearly, it was not.

Let me see if I can put this another way.

Your student just finished flying a circuit with the instruments covered (and please show me where in any training guide this is an acceptable way to train a student). That student is signed off and heads for home. A week later, he is showing off his gyro to a buddy and demonstrates your "Feeling" technique, complete with instrumentation covered. It's a technique you have taught. On take off, the student balls up his aircraft.

How much liability did you just expose yourself to? Your position is absurd. The numbers are published for a reason and the only way to properly use those numbers is if you can see your instruments. It has nothing to do with fixed wing transitions.

In fact, to defend your position, you have actually quoted the MTO handbook's numbers above!
'
I'll give you the last word.

My first time reading the MTO T.O. procedure(s):
Is there nothing in that procedure (or elsewhere) indicating to add throttle as necessary? All I see is the 5,400 rpm or abort phrase...

I sure hope it isn't being taught to fire wall it to 5,400 rpms & then manage all cyclic & rudder pedal inputs as it springs off the ground.

That is true, but not ALL of your instruments fail. Training in that capacity usually involves covering one of the instruments with an inop sticker. It doesn't involve "feeling." It involves interpreting the remaining instruments to solve a problem.

This accident, same as many before and many similar in the future because with a cranked keel gyroplane it is easier to make a mistake that pilots are led into with a common technique taught. Like the majority of take off accidents it is not that any technique is necessarily the fault but that whatever technique being applied is either badly done or not done accurately. However it is fact that the combination of technique with aircraft design can and does give this out outcome. These accidents happen very rarely with Magni because the stick position in the POH stops the stick forward type erros [or helps to prevent] and the straight keel stops [or helps prevent] the 'over pitching' in the take off roll. Of course if you have an Auto Gyro you have to cater for the potential errors some other way.

Is there nothing in that procedure (or elsewhere) indicating to add throttle as necessary? All I see is the 5,400 rpm or abort phrase...

I sure hope it isn't being taught to fire wall it to 5,400 rpms & then manage all cyclic & rudder pedal inputs as it springs off the ground.
The way I'm being taught is:
Prerotate to 200-210 RRPM.
Simultaneously bring stick all the way back and firewall the engine to load the rotor and pick up RRPM (my 914 runs great!).
Compensate for sidewind with stick and keep direction with pedals.
When the gyro gets light on the front wheel bring the stick forward to achieve balance.
When the front wheel rises, keep it a small amount off the ground while still compensating for sidewind with stick.
When the main wheels unstick, keep it low in ground effect and keep direction with pedals (Edit: And stick, of course) while building up speed to Vy - 100 km/h (60-65 mph).
Then keep the 100 km/h while ascending. Then, if the engine should quit, you'll be in a good energy state.

Phil Harwood must have access to a long runway, since he wants the student to add power in increments.
I still have some hours balancing to go through to really get the feeling to stick. And I fly it myself with few remarks
from my instructor - but I don't have the "feel" down. My instructor really has that.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
Your student just finished flying a circuit with the instruments covered (and please show me where in any training guide this is an acceptable way to train a student). That student is signed off and heads for home. A week later, he is showing off his gyro to a buddy and demonstrates your "Feeling" technique, complete with instrumentation covered. It's a technique you have taught. On take off, the student balls up his aircraft.

How much liability did you just expose yourself to? Your position is absurd. The numbers are published for a reason and the only way to properly use those numbers is if you can see your instruments. It has nothing to do with fixed wing transitions.

In fact, to defend your position, you have actually quoted the MTO handbook's numbers above!
'
I'll give you the last word.
Hopefully I have succeeded in teaching my client that showing off increases the risk of flying.

None of my clients have had a mishap when flying a gyroplane by the sight picture.

If I worried about liability I would not be a flight instructor.

My syllabus has been approved by the FAA and I continue to have a hundred percent pass rate after six years of flight instruction. I have a commercial gyroplane certificate in addition to being a certificated flight instructor. I am approved to train to any level of gyroplane certificate.

Many times I have had clients say to me; “I would have saved a lot of time if I had just done it your way from the beginning instead of focusing on the instruments to meet the practical test standards.”

I find it much harder to teach flying without demonstrating it.

I have done my best to explain some of my reasons a gyroplane is flown by the sight picture rather than instruments and I clearly have not succeeded Don Bishop.

I have a $450 all day (nine hours) special for my first day with a client that typically includes a little over two hours of dual and most can land and take off in The Predator by the end of the day. I typically keep the rudder pedals and the throttle until their skills mature. They typically have seen everything that is required to meet the practical test standards.

You are welcome to come by and try it out Don Bishop.

Thank you for providing me with the opportunity to share this information as I feel it is part of a path to improved safety in gyroplanes.

A good question Kevin.

I have gone back a little further in the take off procedure in the POH and it appears to me there is nothing advising a gradual increasing of the throttle to take off engine RPM.

"Release pre-rotator button

Gently move control stick fully aft (stick travel ~ 1 sec.).

In a strong headwind be prepared to stop movement before nose wheel rises!

Release wheel brake with throttle unchanged

Monitor rotor speed and adequately increase throttle to take-off power."

I have seen it done where the throttle is just wacked open when pre-rotation is finished and feel it is poor technique.