A/W 95 build

FloripTW

I'm just getting started on this build and this is my first step into aircraft building. Was happy to find this forum.

As stated, I'm in the early stages of the build. I have a Rotax 503, prints from vortechonline, a stack of aluminum, and a pair of rotors from a HUP-2 Retriever. I don't plan to use the rotors to make the helicopter fly but I may use them as a reference for rotor building. I plan to take the next few evenings to create the CAD files based off the prints. Once these are good to go, I have a CNC mill and lathe that will cut the parts.

My end goal is to build a helicopter that I can hover. I'd like to use the build as a way to understand the full structure and components of a small helicopter. I don't know how well suited the A/W 95 is for serious flying. All videos I've seen have shown the aircraft hovering or flying less than 15' above the ground.

I'll add pictures as the build moves along.

Erik

Welcome to the Forum, Erik.

We love build threads here and from personal experience with mine, a lot of knowledgeable and talented members will chime in to help steer you in the right direction. Listen to them. And post lots of pics.

Glad to see you are generating CAD files before the build. With mine it has helped tremendously in understanding the design where there has been deceptive simplicity. Glad you found the RWF and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards,

Brian Jackson

Thank you, Brian,

I'm looking forward to hearing from the other members. Piloting and aircraft design are areas that I have very little knowledge. After spending a few days going through the forums, seemed like a good place to join.

One of the things I'm thinking about is the rotor construction. My first thought is this: cut out a number of ribs and run stringers/spar down the length of the rotor. If I make the ribs thick enough I can wrap the assembly in .032" aluminum and drill/rivet into the rib. Any input on this build technique?

Attachments

• main hub v1.png
    main hub v1.png
    8.1 KB · Views: 13
  • naca 0012 v1.png
    naca 0012 v1.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 14
  • pitch change bracket v1.png
    pitch change bracket v1.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 13
  • sprocket v1.png
    sprocket v1.png
    7 KB · Views: 13
  • swash plate v2.png
    swash plate v2.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 20
  • naca 0012 assembly with skin v1.png
    naca 0012 assembly with skin v1.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 20
Just adding some info as I go. I've started cutting out parts. Pictured are ribs for the tail rotor and pitch change hub. I also cut into an old main rotor I have. Kinda interesting seeing how the part is made. I don't know the specs on the material but it looks to be built using mostly wood. There is a bronze piece running along the leading edge and a steel tube that I assume runs the entire length to where it attaches to the hub. Looks symmetrical and the center of gravity is right about at the tube.

Attachments

• IMG_3690.jpg
    IMG_3690.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3725.jpg
    IMG_3725.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3734.jpg
    IMG_3734.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 28
  • B10040CD-D753-4EAA-90B4-1DC492511115.JPG
    B10040CD-D753-4EAA-90B4-1DC492511115.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 26
Pretty work so far. But I have to ask, are you getting guidance from anyone expert in blade engineering on your project? I only ask because, as you admit, you are new to this and you have many unanswered questions about blade anatomy but are still moving forward with building. I'm just concerned as a fellow builder.

Pretty work so far. But I have to ask, are you getting guidance from anyone expert in blade engineering on your project? I only ask because, as you admit, you are new to this and you have many unanswered questions about blade anatomy but are still moving forward with building. I'm just concerned as a fellow builder.

At some point I'll reach out to someone in the trade of blade manufacture. I've also been tracking down Army pubs for helicopter maintenance/repair. When I do make the blades, it's something I'll approach cautiously.

Doug Schwochert,the redesigner of the AW95 is on this forum. You could possibly ask him.